Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Another petrol rip off

Another petrol rip off

Old Oct 17th 2012, 4:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another petrol rip off

Originally Posted by GarryP
As a matter of interest, who told you it was legal? Sounds like bait and switch at the very minimum.

If they wanted to do this right it would be easy. They can switch it so each new pump has to be OKed in the booth. So if they were changing the price on the fly they could stop any new pumping, change the price, then allow new serving at the new price.

In these types of circumstance is usually best to document all you can and make it very clear you are going to get them some bad publicity - that way they will usually give in to keep themselves off "Today Tonight".

I read a few similar cases before phoning them this morning, but of course none of them document the price changing while the pump is in your hand.

However their get our clause is they reckon they changed the sign before the pump. Not being able to see it would wreck that theory IMO.

I think they are wrong, they think they are right. Hence the charity donation.

I just could not believe they would jam it up that much while you are holding the flippin pump
Old Oct 17th 2012, 4:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Yes I did check the price on the pump.

However, after speaking to the manager this morning, I have learnt the price was changed as the pump was in my hand

It did cut in and out and that it appears is when the extra 19c a litre was added.

Quite legal it appears.

Interesting too as the staff told me I should have been watching the board. Its 5 M in the air, about 15 M from the pump and cant be seen from the forecourt.

Still feeling changing the price while the pump was in my hand was slightly dodgy! I suggested they donate the profit they made from me to charity. Result there, $25 gift card on its way to the local animal refuge for doggy food.
I never knew that was possible.... surely you would have to get two bills from two seperate transactions if that were the case... one at the lower rate and one at the higher rate ? It would have to reset to zero I would have thought ?

They possibly reset it before you put in any petrol, even though you had the pump in your hand.

I'm fairly sure I've seen different signage prices to pump prices at price change time on price change day..... not for a long while though. I'm wary of the pumps on "those" days and that must have been a learned experience for me from way back.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by GarryP
As a matter of interest, who told you it was legal? Sounds like bait and switch at the very minimum.

If they wanted to do this right it would be easy. They can switch it so each new pump has to be OKed in the booth. So if they were changing the price on the fly they could stop any new pumping, change the price, then allow new serving at the new price.

In these types of circumstance is usually best to document all you can and make it very clear you are going to get them some bad publicity - that way they will usually give in to keep themselves off "Today Tonight".
Out of interest...why is fuel more expensive on a Thursday............drives me nuts as thats always the day I need to fill up!!1
Old Oct 17th 2012, 6:53 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
Out of interest...why is fuel more expensive on a Thursday............drives me nuts as thats always the day I need to fill up!!1
We don't have a particular day any more. It was quite useful I thought because you knew when you should fill up and if it was the wrong day you just put a small amount in to keep you going. Our days are all over the shop now but I can guarantee that the day after I go in, it will come down.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

I've just noticed Woolies have 15c per litre off if you spend more than $100 there in one go before 21st Oct. Discount is valid for 28 days.