Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Animal Lover ( Aussies and Poms )

Animal Lover ( Aussies and Poms )

Old Jan 8th 2008, 1:23 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Animal Lover ( Aussies and Poms )

Apologies for not knowing your circumstances but I'm guessing that, if you have flea shampoo, you already have pets. I would strongly advise you to keep the kitten segregated until you've had him checked out for FIV, etc. He's absolutely beautiful (I'm a sucker for gingers, my oldest boy is one) but you wouldn't forgive yourself if he passed anything nasty on to existing pets.

We have thousands of strays in Singapore - animals here are almost disposable - and I took one in a couple of summers ago to add to my couple of hand-reared (orphaned) babes. We'd been feeding him from a tiny kitten but he was looking very poorly and I couldn't bear to leave him on the street. I bathed him and took him straight to the vets; thankfully he was fine and after a rough integration is now an important member of our family

Our problem now is leaving all the other cats on the street. We feed them but sometimes it's hard to see them living on a busy street, in need of a good bath and some loving. If we move to Oz I will be aiming for retirement as a mad catwoman on a small-holding.

It's a great thing you do, BTW. You old softy.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 5:28 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
Apologies for not knowing your circumstances but I'm guessing that, if you have flea shampoo, you already have pets. I would strongly advise you to keep the kitten segregated until you've had him checked out for FIV, etc. He's absolutely beautiful (I'm a sucker for gingers, my oldest boy is one) but you wouldn't forgive yourself if he passed anything nasty on to existing pets.

We have thousands of strays in Singapore - animals here are almost disposable - and I took one in a couple of summers ago to add to my couple of hand-reared (orphaned) babes. We'd been feeding him from a tiny kitten but he was looking very poorly and I couldn't bear to leave him on the street. I bathed him and took him straight to the vets; thankfully he was fine and after a rough integration is now an important member of our family

Our problem now is leaving all the other cats on the street. We feed them but sometimes it's hard to see them living on a busy street, in need of a good bath and some loving. If we move to Oz I will be aiming for retirement as a mad catwoman on a small-holding.

It's a great thing you do, BTW. You old softy.
Softy, me ? LOL
The fleah shampoo is for all the strays that I seem to attract
Old Jan 8th 2008, 6:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
Softy, me ? LOL
The fleah shampoo is for all the strays that I seem to attract
Just the cats or does that include the women too?!
Old Jan 8th 2008, 6:40 am
Banned

Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
Just the cats or does that include the women too?!
my women dont need flea shampoo, my women have collars, and I have the whips
Old Jan 8th 2008, 7:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

my women dont need flea shampoo, my women have collars, and I have the whips
Old Jan 8th 2008, 7:53 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

He's a moggie so I would imagine that the slapper was given him and didn't pay for him. Considering the state he was in, you just deny all knowledge and if she comes calling you say he turned up on the doorstep, obviously flea infested and could only have been a stray. If she's as bad as you say, she's probably not realised he's gone.

He's gorgeous.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 11:10 pm
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

If you get one from RSPCA you pay about $150 I think, its for the desexing and chipping, cheap at the price
Not in my book mate - anything over $0.00 for a cat is overpriced.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 11:35 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by 232Bar
Not in my book mate - anything over $0.00 for a cat is overpriced.
Kids like pets, do you have children ? Each to his/her own
Old Jan 9th 2008, 1:12 am
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Kids like pets, do you have children ? Each to his/her own
Yep, one child 2 dogs - I just don't see any point in cats

Kids like all sorts of things - doesn't mean thay have to get them all
Old Jan 9th 2008, 1:22 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I like dogs (always had them, growing up) but you can't go on holiday and have somebody come in for an hour a day like you can with cats.

You can't really do it with kids either; you could get into big trouble.

I'll stick with cats.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 2:24 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest Im not a cat lover.. well strike that, its not cats , its really some of their owners.

This is the way I see it, most people with Cats, dont have the cats registered, a high proportion are moggies, and a high proportion of cat owners, have no idea where there cat is during the day/night.

Once the cat leaves the house thru its pussy-flap, thats the last the owner sees of it until the thing is hungry.

During its trek outside, the cat pisses n shits wherever it feels like it, and sometimes in its own back yard.

I wouldnt have an issue, but if cats were policed in the same way dogs were ( esp. in the UK ) then it would be a different matter, in my terms anyway.

Responsible ownership, should prevail amongst all breeds of cats/dogs etc.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 2:39 am
Auntie Fa

I hear what you're saying. My cats only go out as far as the courtyard or along the walls to visit others in the terrace, but we're fortunate to have a house like this with high walls and so they don't go onto the street. They don't pee or crap anywhere other than their litter boxes, either. Cats are fastidiously clean; even the stray I took in last seemed immediately to know where to go.

However I do know you can't tell a cat where or where not to go, and if we move down to Oz (yeah, I know, I'm bored with that IF too, hoping to know this week) I will have to consider very carefully where we live and how we treat them.

My friends in Melbourne have a huge house and garden, but their cats are kept in with the occasional walk round the garden on a leash. I'm a farm girl, I don't like animals to be kept inside and I do know my first two were much happier when we moved out of the condo, but I do try to respect other people's property and likes/dislikes.

Whatever, we adopted them for the long-term, so they're coming with us.