Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Animal Lover ( Aussies and Poms )

Animal Lover ( Aussies and Poms )

Old Jan 3rd 2008, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Animal Lover ( Aussies and Poms )

My dogs spend most of the day outside when we are at work, something I wouldnt have done in the UK. But they come in at night and when we are home. the have a lounge and I am on the look out for another one on the side of the road. and a basket, 3 undercover areas and if its a bit incliment I put their baskets in the laundry so they can keep out of the wind and rain. They have jackets for the winter. If its particulary hot, kerry our lucher prefers to be out at night as its cooler. We do leave the lounge ceiling fan on at night for them and our greyhound sneaks onto our lounge at night as soon as we turn off the light. He is totally deaf though so he gets caught every night, but we dont have the heart to shift him so we cover it with a balnket. He makes it his mission to squeeze into the smallest basket he can find and the promptly floops all his bits out of it, it looks most uncomfortable. Bloody pain is 1 year old and still gets us up at least once a night for a pee.

They are my darlings though and very spoilt.

Anyway enough of my waffle, I think it is perfectly ok to keep dogs outside as long as they have adequate water, undercover area and a place to keep out of the wind and rain. Of course it would depend on the dog and I wouldnt personnaly keep a greyhound out in the winter through the night as they are so skinny.

Jo
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 9:25 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Further to the recent puppy thread, started bt Chris and Farideh.

I apologise if it seemed, out of taste to actually point out to another member that her comments seemed overly aggressive, and disecting her comments and replying to them separately.

This does not detract from the predicament of the puppy you had spoke about, and indeed doesnt undermine the situation you had witnessed, to be fair, you should in my opinion do something.

What that is , I cannot comment. But fear of approaching said owners of the pup, without as quoted " a shotgun " isnt really condusive to the actual argument, or indeed reflects well on the area that you live in.

I am sure if taken out of context and emotion, the poster alliekate who it appears is a very responsible animal lover, would have or could have given you some objective argument or advice, then perhaps the threads would not have been closed.

We are responsible international dog breeders, and having fell foul of spot inspections by the RSPCA, for so called do-gooders poking their stickies in, we would have and so would the RSPCA have welcomed the originators, approach to us, for we would have welcomed their input, into a situation that they had no knowledge off.

The RSPCA in my view, and local council have very strong powers, as indeed quoted by, Cresta57 not so long ago, at a situation of GBH to a human and the hitting of a pussy cat, the legal system in Australia, would probably act stronger on cruelty to the animal. Which i think is a justified statement.

This does not detract from animal owners responsibilities, and indeed their accountability within the law. In fact such is the registration system for animals in Australia, I personally think its a tighter system than that in the UK.

Aussies and Poms alike, in fact all nationalities here in the greater proportion act responsibly with their pets. However due to the climate, esp. in QLD< then the lifestyle of a pet maybe different to that you would be witness to in the UK. I would even go so far to say, to an untrained eye, it can appear as though pets are neglected.

This in 9 cases out of 10 in my experience is unfounded and a misaligned assumption.

Having sent dogs all over Australia, Uk, and South Africa, and belonging to KCGB and the AKC , and also offering a foster and rehoiming service, I can categorically tell you that we act responsibly and for the benefit heath and well being of the animal, and we are not the exception to the rule...

Many many owners LOVE their pets, just look at the amount of dog groomers, mobile dog washes etc, we are in a society within Australia that are animal lovers, and so making rash comments such as Alliekates ( apology if id is incorrect ) fuels temper and beggers ridicule.

As a animal activist or indeed a animal welfare officer, wherever you are and in whatever country you reside and operate you will see things that really are shocking, but keep some reality on the situation, be not the judge but the jury.

Ste

Apologies to original thread poster edit: Farideh
Perhaps if your original reply had been more like this the thread would not have descended into abuse and been closed.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 9:46 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
Perhaps if your original reply had been more like this the thread would not have descended into abuse and been closed.
I have replied to your MESSAGE.
Will await your reply

Last edited by Timber Floor Au; Jan 3rd 2008 at 9:54 am.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 12:13 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
Some people are adept at waving red rags in front of bulls.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 1:07 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Its at times like this I turn to the tragic posting of a memeber on here and their experience with their dog.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=206726
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 2:58 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seang
Its at times like this I turn to the tragic posting of a memeber on here and their experience with their dog.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=206726
Brilliant thread - just read it
Old Jan 4th 2008, 12:14 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Happy New year. Your comments are very true, and the matter in this instance I believe closed, I am now starting to understand where you are coming from.

Thankyou lord for showing me the light

Old Jan 4th 2008, 7:48 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Happy new year to you too mate.

The light shines on the righteous
Old Jan 4th 2008, 8:24 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Happy new year to you too mate.

The light shines on the righteous
Bit dark round here, can't think why
Old Jan 4th 2008, 8:40 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Bit dark round here, can't think why
I think I can solve that one.....
Attached Thumbnails Animal Lover ( Aussies and Poms )-baghead.jpg  
Old Jan 6th 2008, 3:26 am
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

We had 4 Border Terriers in England and all of them lived outside all year in a kennel. All lived to over 14 years old. We then had 2 Italian Spinone and one Border, again all lived outside in all seasons with no adverse affects. We left all 3 in England when we emigrated (shock horror to the namby pambys') and we have a Spin and a Border here - outdoors again. I am a firm believer in pets having their own space and knowing it's theirs, not living in the house all the time
Old Jan 6th 2008, 4:40 am
Banned

I think, personally the biggest issue is the weather with regards to pets.

Especially in QLD.

Storms, nightly during the summer, are and do have a huge impact on pet behaviour.

I have tried estimating the cost of re-fencing, concrete, etc after storms, and having replaced 3 doors on the kennel block I can assure those with larger breeds inc, staffs, that if the dogs dislike thunder, QLD begs and offers some challenges !

One friend which some on here have met, Tish, who lives near me, has over 5 years paid in excess of $1000 to the dog pound to recover her dog after he has eaten his way thru brick/metal and timber trying to escape , during our thunderous storms.

As previously stated, the issue, realises when you have been witness to the effect storm season has on your pet, can only speak about dogs, as I dislike cats with a passion

The pre requisites I believe are:

Good dog proof fencing, and not just the cheap shit, invest in chain link. Its available vinyl coated, or in Galv.
3 strand wire this fencing , and use wire strainers, many produces and fence store sell these, and with just a few cranks a/clockwise you have a strained fence.
Good separate kenneling in my view is a must, and sufficiently high, at least 8ft to ceiling above dogs head when he stands on all 4's, with cross ventillation and roof vents ( whirly gigs )
Good supply of fresh clean water, changed twice daily if possible. Mine go thru about 15 litres each a day ! So we use a horse feeder.

An industrail fan is a must on hot humid days in kennels, or in the evenings. Bunnings sell these for around 90 bucks for email brand

< personally never have our dogs indoors, 1) they stink and we hydrobath them once a fortnight too.
2) they are bloody clumsy
3) we would be swimming in drool !

[/LIST]
Old Jan 6th 2008, 7:37 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

All the reasons why I don't 'do' dogs however much the girls nag me I am totally a cat person but have one here but I'll go see my baby when we go visit in June and I can't wait although I know she'll ignore me
Old Jan 6th 2008, 8:31 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

OK so I'll show my soft spot in return for intelligent responses (like the ones I give will suffice )

I'm a smoker but relegate myself to either the front or back porch for my habit. As a result, I get to meet all the stray cats that come to say hello quite often.

Mostly the cats are dirty flea infested starving things, so I always feed them (much to the disgust of our resident cat Cilla, who we got from the RSPCA), but sometimes I will take it into the laundry room and give it a bath and treat the infestation.

Last night I was out the front having a ciggie about 10pm and this gorgeous tabby kitten came up the steps purring like crazy, so like any other visitor I said hello and offered it some food. He's only about 10 weeks old but I noticed he was absolutely crawling with fleas, so bad there was no way I was going to let this poor cat go away without being treated with a bath and flea shampoo.

Bathing him I left the face until last as I usually do to any other cat I bath but I wished I hadnt because this poor little kitten was so infested that while I washed the rest of its body the fleas had migrated to its face, to such an extent that it resembled a beekeeper that is trying to beat the world record for the number of bees on his face, except these were fleas on the kitten's face. It was so bad I was practically in tears thinking about how they must have been driving the cat crazy.

Between the wife and I we bathed it 3 times to get rid of the fleas and made a bed in the laundry room for the night.

The kitten slept most of today but when it's awake is so friendly to us allmost in appreciation, in any case the OH is now attached to it so we want to keep it however, theres a dirty fat slapper junkie up the road that we think homed the cat and shes been walking up and down the road. Maybe looking for the kitten, but shes no stranger to walking the street knocking on doors looking for a drug fix so we dont know if shes looking for the cat.

We would like to keep the kitten, get it chipped and fixed(male), but I/m asking here if anyone knows the legal complications that may arise if the fat slapper gives us any grief if/when she finds out we have the kitten.

Comments/suggestions etc welcome.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 8:34 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Keep it indoors and don't tell the slapper.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.