Am I right?

Old Jul 22nd 2012, 4:56 pm
Just Joined

Scrabble is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Am I right?

Just want to make 100% sure that I'm not eligible for a visa to live/work in Australia (Not the working holiday visa)

-My dad is an Australian Citizen
-My Step-mother and brother are also Australian Citizens
-I am 24 years old
-I have no criminal record

However I

-Do not have a degree
-Work as a Lifeguard/Fitness Instructor

Am I right in thinking there is nothing I qualify for?

Cheers
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 6:49 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I right?

You have been told you aren't eligible ? I would have thought you would qualify under some sort of family visa if such a thing still exists ?
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Can't answer your question but I suspect when/how your father became an Australian citizen will be relevant.

What are his circumstances and what were they when you were born?
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

peaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Scrabble
Just want to make 100% sure that I'm not eligible for a visa to live/work in Australia (Not the working holiday visa)

-My dad is an Australian Citizen
-My Step-mother and brother are also Australian Citizens
-I am 24 years old
-I have no criminal record

However I

-Do not have a degree
-Work as a Lifeguard/Fitness Instructor

Am I right in thinking there is nothing I qualify for?

Cheers
Where were you born?

Cheers,
PB
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 11:27 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by chris955
You have been told you aren't eligible ? I would have thought you would qualify under some sort of family visa if such a thing still exists ?
Family Visa is for 18 and under + 25 and under if you are disabled OR if - and get this - you have started a degree within six months of leaving school, and you are still doing that degree now.

So basically Australia wants want people my age who are willing just QUIT their degree and have potentially never even had a job. But not people like ME who never quit a degree, but are willing to work immediately.

Nice.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 11:29 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by louie
Can't answer your question but I suspect when/how your father became an Australian citizen will be relevant.

What are his circumstances and what were they when you were born?
He became a Australian citizen 3 years ago.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 11:29 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by peaceboy
Where were you born?

Cheers,
PB
UK
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 11:39 am

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

degree is not a must, speaking of a skilled stream visas. It does not matter how you get to the threshold in the points test, speaking of skilled stream visas, you get points for age, English ability, work experience, etc. having a degree is just one of those. Most importantly the skill has to be listed as eligible for migration and you have to pass a skills assessment before being able to apply, so I suggest you dig in a bit deeper before throwing in a towel. immi.gov.au is a good place to start.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Family Visa is for 18 and under + 25 and under if you are disabled OR if - and get this - you have started a degree within six months of leaving school, and you are still doing that degree now.

So basically Australia wants want people my age who are willing just QUIT their degree and have potentially never even had a job. But not people like ME who never quit a degree, but are willing to work immediately.

Nice.
Australia doesn't wish to split up nuclear families, so has visas for dependents. If you are not in education, you are not dependent. They are not asking anyone to quit a degree - visas last 5 years, so there is plenty of time for anyone to finish a degree before emigrating.

Unpalatable as it may be to you, a line has to be drawn somewhere.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 12:06 pm

Location: "What I did, I did without choice. In the name of peace and sanity."
mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice.
Unfortunately, not everyone is eligible for a visa. The immigration program isn't run for the benefit of potential migrants - it's run for the benefit of the country. They are entitled to make whatever rules & make people jump through as many hoops as they like. Visas aren't a right, they're a privilege.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 2:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by louie
Unpalatable as it may be to you, a line has to be drawn somewhere.
Originally Posted by mrsgreenstar76
They are entitled to make whatever rules & make people jump through as many hoops as they like. Visas aren't a right, they're a privilege.

Perhaps when this is the case; something is backwards with the world. Perhaps good people who have never committed a crime and have consistently worked and can fluently speak the language should be able to go and live wherever they want.

Here is the system I would employ:
  • People with criminal records? Ineligible.
  • Tax rate? 10-15% higher than citizens.
  • Fail to start a job within 6 weeks? Kicked out of the country.
  • Attempt to claim any benefits? Kicked out of the country.
  • Get so much as a speeding ticket? Kicked out of the country.
  • Which countries would this system be for? All countries on the face of the planet.

This system will never happen, but my gosh it would make the world a better place.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 2:18 pm

Location: "What I did, I did without choice. In the name of peace and sanity."
mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps when this is the case; something is backwards with the world. Perhaps good people who have never committed a crime and have consistently worked and can fluently speak the language should be able to go and live wherever they want.

• Which countries would this system be for? All countries on the face of the planet.

This system will never happen, but my gosh it would make the world a better place.

Australia doesn't owe you (or any other migrant) anything, so why should they be making it ridiculously easy to migrate? You seem to have the impression that just because you want to go there that is should be simple. Well, think about it from their perspective. They are generally looking for skilled workers (hence it's called general skilled migration), so why would they grant visas to unskilled workers when there may be locals that can/want to do the job? What makes you so special that they should grant you a visa? If you really want to migrate, maybe have a think about retraining in something Australia needs. I wouldn't necessarily recommend that as I think people should do what they enjoy for a living if they can - plus SOLs change from time to time. As I said, a visa is a privilege, not a right.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 2:32 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Polly removes Mods hat............

Oooh don't you just love someone who is so saintly he can cast the first stone

Thread moved to a better place
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 5:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mrsgreenstar76
They are generally looking for skilled workers (hence it's called general skilled migration), so why would they grant visas to unskilled workers when there may be locals that can/want to do the job?
Have you actually seen that SOL list. It's laughable.

'Art Teacher'
'Private music tutor'

Yeah, really important jobs that are critical to the infrastructure of Australia...

As for locals wanting to do the job; what if the employer picks a foreigner through a fair interview process. Shouldn't that be their choice?

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Oooh don't you just love someone who is so saintly he can cast the first stone

Thread moved to a better place

I'm 'so saintly' and 'casting the first stone' because I thought of an an idea for a system?

Didn't realise thinking about things and throwing ideas around was so offensive.

Great job on moving my thread to an irrelevant section of the forum because it kind of irked you. Top rate admin.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 5:29 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

That would be most british expats on the first plane back then

Scrabble - you're young. Why don't you retrain in something that's on the list, and likely to remain on the list.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.