Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Alternatives to telstra

Alternatives to telstra

Old Sep 25th 2009, 9:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alternatives to telstra

Check out the gen on Whirlpool. Some good advice on there re broadband etc. Another one here who tries to avoid Helstra and not that enamoured of Optus either - bill obfuscation seems to be their speciality.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 12:52 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

So many threads on this stuff already I don't want to start a new one. Never needed this stuff before, so........ the unit has a landline though it hasn't been connected in the 4 months I've been here.
Reading stuff on here iinet looks like a good bet, but I'm willing to take advice from those in the know, as I ONLY want a landline, don't need the internet connection as I'm on mobile broadband which is fine. I do have a telstra mobile, but am happy to stay pay-as-you-go with it. No Foxtel etc, not really interested in that.
All I'm after is a landline which will get 95% of its usage in international calls - so something that won't cost a fortune in line rental and has a good international package, mainly though not always UK calls.

Does iinet sound like a good bet for that or has anyone a better idea?
Old Dec 17th 2009, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
So many threads on this stuff already I don't want to start a new one. Never needed this stuff before, so........ the unit has a landline though it hasn't been connected in the 4 months I've been here.
Reading stuff on here iinet looks like a good bet, but I'm willing to take advice from those in the know, as I ONLY want a landline, don't need the internet connection as I'm on mobile broadband which is fine. I do have a telstra mobile, but am happy to stay pay-as-you-go with it. No Foxtel etc, not really interested in that.
All I'm after is a landline which will get 95% of its usage in international calls - so something that won't cost a fortune in line rental and has a good international package, mainly though not always UK calls.

Look up Primus we do our phone line with them , mainly UK/US calls also,I think it came out at $5 / hour to UK/US. STD calls are also cheap under our package.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 1:23 pm
ABCDiamond

How about this option:

The Telstra basic landline for $20.95 per month

Then add the engine VOIP system for $19.95 pm which gives you FREE direct dialled calls all over Australia and UK, USA, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, Netherlands, Spain.

Total cost $40.90 pm

Old Dec 17th 2009, 1:30 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
How about this option:

The Telstra basic landline for $20.95 per month

Then add the engine VOIP system for $19.95 pm which gives you FREE direct dialled calls all over Australia and UK, USA, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, Netherlands, Spain.

Total cost $40.90 pm
Does that also incur a cost on the mobile broadband widget? I mean, does it count as MB of download or whatever?
Old Dec 17th 2009, 1:33 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by mulben
Look up Primus we do our phone line with them , mainly UK/US calls also,I think it came out at $5 / hour to UK/US. STD calls are also cheap under our package.
That looks fairly reasonable, worth further investigation
Old Dec 17th 2009, 1:41 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

12000 miles of string and two empty bean tins,sorted
Old Dec 17th 2009, 1:44 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
12000 miles of string and two empty bean tins,sorted
All the way to Derry?!!
Old Dec 17th 2009, 1:45 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

All the way to Derry?!!
Speak up i cant hear ya
Old Dec 17th 2009, 1:46 pm
Home and Happy

Speak up i cant hear ya
Its these inferior Aussie bean cans
Old Dec 17th 2009, 1:47 pm
FREE TIBET

Its these inferior Aussie bean cans
and string
Old Dec 17th 2009, 1:49 pm
Home and Happy

and string
You'll have to send me bean cans and string from over there, might be successful then!

(send them courier though, try and avoid Aus Post, I've fallen out with them again too!!)

Last edited by Pollyana; Dec 17th 2009 at 1:57 pm.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 1:59 pm
FREE TIBET

You'll have to send me bean cans and string from over there, might be successful then!

(send them courier though, try and avoid Aus Post, I've fallen out with them again too!!)
Sorry mate yer breaking up.i think someone is standing on the string
Old Dec 17th 2009, 2:07 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

I'm currently with:

MyNetFone: $5 a month phone (free call nationwide AND to UK)
TPG ADSL2+: $79 a month 40Gb peak 110Gb off peak (more than enough to serve all my entertainment needs so no need for ad-ridden foxtel)

..and Telstra: $20 a momth for the landline that I use ONLY for ADSL.
-------------

Having said that - to tidy up my billing and avoid having to do ANYTHING with Telstra I'm seriously considering switching to MyNetFone naked DSL 'cos their voip service has been faultless (and VERY cheap) for the last 3 years:

$100 a month for 80GB... - then all my telco needs are taken care of centrally and I dont deal with any corporate dinosaurs.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 2:10 pm
Home and Happy

Sorry mate yer breaking up.i think someone is standing on the string
Probably the guy from Aus Post that rang me at 6am today - getting his own back for my (not surprisingly) grumpy response!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.