Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

For all of you with daughters...

For all of you with daughters...

Old Nov 24th 2008, 3:12 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For all of you with daughters...

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
I think home tutorage since the age of 9 costs more than regular 'free' school.

I quite like the little orange princesses.
Yeh, and i bet theres a few old pervs around that will like them too!
Old Nov 24th 2008, 3:30 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Yeh, and i bet theres a few old pervs around that will like them too!
Perhaps. If they go for kids in the KMart catalogue, they'll go for anything.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 3:51 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan3kids
'The only boy for her'......yeah right, been round the block a few times I reckon.
I honestly reckon not. I've read a bit about this. The proper travellers are almost of another era. They may get married at what we may consider a scandalously early age, but they have old-fashioned values and her doting Daddy would not have allowed her to sleep around.

She won't be seen to need an education, she'll probably be a wife and mother. It may seem wrong to us, but it's just different.

Oh and the kid at my school with the big f'off detached house and the ponies? Her dad was a scrapper.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 4:07 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
I want a caravan for me ma ...
I hear you Brad!
Old Nov 24th 2008, 6:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
The proper travellers are almost of another era.

She won't be seen to need an education, she'll probably be a wife and mother. It may seem wrong to us, but it's just different.

Is this the era where they sent kids up chimneys, worked them 20 hours a day and married them off at 14?

You know just putting a cute smiley at the end doesn't make that 'other era' any cuter. Its what we would call child abuse.Labelling them 'travellers' and then assuming their ways are quaint is just stupid.

JTL

Last edited by JackTheLad; Nov 24th 2008 at 6:13 am.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 6:55 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Nice one, JTL - you know damn well I did not put a smiley after that comment. Good bit of selective editing there.

What's your problem? Is this really about travellers or a previous time I disagreed with you? Don't answer - rhetorical question, the answer to which I care about not one jot.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 7:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
Nice one, JTL - you know damn well I did not put a smiley after that comment. Good bit of selective editing there.

What's your problem? Is this really about travellers or a previous time I disagreed with you? Don't answer - rhetorical question, the answer to which I care about not one jot.
Nope, you decided to take my joke: "how many credit cards did they steal to afford that wedding". take it seriously, post a pointless reply, climb on your high horse, defend these leeches on society, and act like an arse about how I use smileys.

Have I had a fall out with you before? Its quite probable if this is demonstrative of your usual attitude. But I don't keep check, I just say what I see, as Roy Walker would say.

JTL
Old Nov 24th 2008, 8:10 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

The ideaology of old time travellers and these more recent swathes of "pikeys" as somoene else called them is poles apart.

How do i know this?

Because just one year before we left UK, we had a large family of them buy a bungalow at the end of our street. Within 6mths 4 families had moved in the surrounding area.
Within 2yrs they had ruined the neighbourhood. 2 of them had got 14yr old girls pregnant who were NOT trravellers (not that it makes any difference as far as i am concerned)
They had terrorised one old age pensioner for not allowing them to park their vehicles across his drive, beat up the son so bad he was hospitalised, and one of them managed to knock down and kill a 37yr old father of three girls whilst riding his bike to work. The driver had never held a licence, had already gone to jail for drink driving, and was high on cocaine when he did it.

Sorry... i have no sympathy.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
The ideaology of old time travellers and these more recent swathes of "pikeys" as somoene else called them is poles apart.

How do i know this?

Because just one year before we left UK, we had a large family of them buy a bungalow at the end of our street. Within 6mths 4 families had moved in the surrounding area.
Within 2yrs they had ruined the neighbourhood. 2 of them had got 14yr old girls pregnant who were NOT trravellers (not that it makes any difference as far as i am concerned)
They had terrorised one old age pensioner for not allowing them to park their vehicles across his drive, beat up the son so bad he was hospitalised, and one of them managed to knock down and kill a 37yr old father of three girls whilst riding his bike to work. The driver had never held a licence, had already gone to jail for drink driving, and was high on cocaine when he did it.

Sorry... i have no sympathy.
A black man trod on my toe in Sainsbury's the other day, all black men are clumsy. Oh, and a ginger cat shat in my garden last week so I I have no sympaty for ginger cats anymore either.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 1:30 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
But I don't keep check, I just say what I see, as Roy Walker would say.

JTL

"5 seconds here we go"
"so close - it's not the one"
"Wot's old Chipsey up to?"
Old Nov 28th 2008, 2:11 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

I admit all the time I was reading it I was gobsmacked that Daddy just agreed to such an expensive wedding and even more astonished that a 35 year old could afford to pay for it, as well as an expensive caravan. But he didn't seem worried at all did he?

I'm a bit surprised though that travellers have this glitzy expectation. Sort of takes the romance out of it. She seems a lazy little so and so, but I guess she'll get what she wants out of life.
Apparently, I also have gypsy blood, which may explain why I can't stay in one place.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 12:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

"so close - it's not the one"
You missed the old classic

"Good guess... but it's not right"

What the hell did that mean. You're wrong! is what it meant.

Many comedy shows parodied that phrase, and I still drop it into conversations to this day.

JTL