Wikiposts

Adam Goodes?

Old Aug 2nd 2015, 8:28 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adam Goodes?

Here's three possibilities:
  1. It's all due to racism
  2. It's partly due to racism, and partly due to behaviour.
  3. It's nothing to do with racism
Now I don't think anyone is suggesting 3 as an option. OzTennis & JoeBloggs80 seem to be suggesting 1. Others think it's 2, to a greater or lesser extent.

Now, if 1 were true, you would expect the level of booing to have been near constant over time (if you are racist, you aren't going to be favouring Goodes at any time). However, the level has been increasing, and in particular in response to actions taken by Goodes.

Thus, I'd suggest the answer is 2 - unless OzTennis & JoeBloggs80 can provide some evidence/logical deduction as why not.
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 8:34 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

One of my work colleague's mate was at the game at Subiaco the other week. He saw Aboriginal West Coast supporters booing Goodes - which kind of proves to a degree that this was about him being at Asshat and nothing else

Hope this helps
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Now I don't think anyone is suggesting 3 as an option. OzTennis & JoeBloggs80 seem to be suggesting 1. Others think it's 2, to a greater or lesser extent.

Now, if 1 were true, you would expect the level of booing to have been near constant over time (if you are racist, you aren't going to be favouring Goodes at any time). However, the level has been increasing, and in particular in response to actions taken by Goodes.

Thus, I'd suggest the answer is 2 - unless OzTennis & JoeBloggs80 can provide some evidence/logical deduction as why not.
I don't think either of them were claiming it to be 1. It seems to be about how relevant you think either part of option 2 is as opposed to it being all or nothing. Personally, I think Goodes doesn't know himself whether it's more racism than not but probably folded under the pressure. Is he playing badly? There has to be something in the reaction to Goodes' decision to speak out about racism but also a degree of 'don't be a sook'. I guess everyone is right to a degree but if there is an element of racism involved, it should be tackled by the AfL.

Goodes should play through it. It will be much harder to play again after this.
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
One of my work colleague's mate was at the game at Subiaco the other week. He saw Aboriginal West Coast supporters booing Goodes - which kind of proves to a degree that this was about him being at Asshat and nothing else

Hope this helps
It really really doesn't mean that.
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 8:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

When the incident occurred with the 13 year old girl, I posted on Facebook that the actions of the child were not very nice, however the media vilified her and named and ashamed her relentlessly for days. I also pointed out that had she stolen a car, driven through a red light and killed an innocent family, her identity would have been protected because she was a minor. The media beat up of the whole Goodes affair just adds fuel to the fire. My indigenous relatives all agreed with me. I reckon Goodes just needs to take a chill pill.
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes of course it's 2
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

So your viewpoint is "only black people can tell white people they are racist, and they must be agreed with"?

That's a nice, non-discriminatory, position.....
Strawman btw
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Kim67
When the incident occurred with the 13 year old girl, I posted on Facebook that the actions of the child were not very nice, however the media vilified her and named and ashamed her relentlessly for days. I also pointed out that had she stolen a car, driven through a red light and killed an innocent family, her identity would have been protected because she was a minor. The media beat up of the whole Goodes affair just adds fuel to the fire. My indigenous relatives all agreed with me. I reckon Goodes just needs to take a chill pill.
But why would Adam Goodes be responsible for bad behaviour of the media? He called for Australia to support the girl after she apologised. Goodes didn't do anything wrong there.
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 9:10 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
Yes of course it's 2
So the only question is "what proportion?"

Can I suggest, absent any better info, the ratio would be the proportion of boos he got prior to all this blowing up, to the boos he's got now ?
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 9:16 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
Strawman btw
Not really, more 'reductio ad absurdum'.

I just think that biased narratives and excuses get in the way of seeing the truth and making things better.
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 9:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
It's not worth arguing against a closed mind like that.

Just in case you didn't know; Adam Goodes is speaking out about people who aren't equal and he would like them to be treated this way. For this he gets accused of taking the 'hypocritical high ground' (whatever that is), being leftist etc. So it's shut up, just think you are equal or just think yourself lucky you aren't a ginger Celt eh?
No need to get upset because no one gives a shit about the AFL thread. Open your mind little man.
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 9:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

If 1. were true then other indigenous characters would cop it. But Joe Bloggs and Tennis ignore this.

Definately 3. He's gone for the topic. People are sick and tired of it. What's done is done all over the world. Everyone wants the world to move on.
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 9:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
But why would Adam Goodes be responsiblething for bad behaviour of the media? He called fotry r Austrtoalia to support the girl after she apologised. Goodes didn't do anything wrong there.
He was the one who pointed her out to security in the first place. I think he's just to precious - he uses the media to try and highlight his cause and doesn't seem to give a fig who gets caught in the crossfire. There have been indigenous Australians playing professional AFL for decades without a problem.
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 10:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Don't put words in my mouth.

I'm not saying 1, I'm saying 2 and those who think it is 3 have their head in the sand. Your <10% racism and >90% don't like him is being overly optimistic in my view. How many people will tell you they aren't racist and it's just banter but in the confines of the ballot box vote National Front, UKIP or the like?

It's not enough to say along these lines - 'he's booed because he's not liked, end of story, get over it'. Think deeper - why isn't he liked? It may be because he's such a good player (dual Brownlow Medallist, multiple all Australian etc), it may be because he speaks up on issues, it may be because of race.
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Kim67
He was the one who pointed her out to security in the first place. I think he's just to precious - he uses the media to try and highlight his cause and doesn't seem to give a fig who gets caught in the crossfire. There have been indigenous Australians playing professional AFL for decades without a problem.
I think he did the right thing there as she was definitely being racist. Who has been caught in the crossfire by him being vocal? The only thing I think he's done wrong is decide to not play because of some pressure on the pitch which is partially racist abuse. He should be vocal about indigenous rights and speak out against racism. But, he should also play football. He hasn't harmed anyone by his actions though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.