Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Accomodation/rental advice request

Accomodation/rental advice request

Old Dec 21st 2009, 5:15 am
Forum Regular

megaohms is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Accomodation/rental advice request

I got my family PR some months back and have to make my first entry before June 2010. With me there will be wife, one kid and one infant.

Eversince, I got PR, I am stressed about finding a decent place to live, because all say no one will rent you a house without a job offer, this thing, that thing, etc, etc. Of course I have not yet decided on which city to move (definitely Sydeny or Melbourne). I am coming without a job offer for sure, but I'll bring some money to survive for some time (30,000 AUS$ or so).

I went through many rental sites, many hotel sites, and of course moving-to-melbourne site. Yet I feel so stressed that I'll not be able to find a permanent rent for the family without a job offer, after managing a short term accomodation in the initial weeks. My guesses are that it will take some 3 - 6 months to secure a job and it would ruin me to stay in a hotel so long.

Any advices as for money, short-term accomodation or long-term rent under these circumstances are highly appreciated.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 5:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Accomodation/rental advice request

Originally Posted by megaohms
I got my family PR some months back and have to make my first entry before June 2010. With me there will be wife, one kid and one infant.

Eversince, I got PR, I am stressed about finding a decent place to live, because all say no one will rent you a house without a job offer, this thing, that thing, etc, etc. Of course I have not yet decided on which city to move (definitely Sydeny or Melbourne). I am coming without a job offer for sure, but I'll bring some money to survive for some time (30,000 AUS$ or so).

I went through many rental sites, many hotel sites, and of course moving-to-melbourne site. Yet I feel so stressed that I'll not be able to find a permanent rent for the family without a job offer, after managing a short term accomodation in the initial weeks. My guesses are that it will take some 3 - 6 months to secure a job and it would ruin me to stay in a hotel so long.

Any advices as for money, short-term accomodation or long-term rent under these circumstances are highly appreciated.
You might be better off asking a moderator to move your thread to the Barbie. Most people that read in here are still in our home countries trying to get visas.

A good question though, l will also be interested in the answers. I thought offering to pay rent up front is the way most people manage, but I don't know for sure.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 5:36 am
Forum Regular

vsuccess has a brilliant futurevsuccess has a brilliant futurevsuccess has a brilliant futurevsuccess has a brilliant futurevsuccess has a brilliant futurevsuccess has a brilliant futurevsuccess has a brilliant future

Hi Megaohm,

I would suggest you to look at option, I advertised at [url]***********] as I am going overseas for 3 months and you can rent for that time, find a job and decide on renting or buying a house.

Please let me know, if you have any questions.

Last edited by Dorothy; Dec 21st 2009 at 10:03 am. Reason: sorry, advertising goes in the classified.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
You might be better off asking a moderator to move your thread to the Barbie. Most people that read in here are still in our home countries trying to get visas.

A good question though, l will also be interested in the answers. I thought offering to pay rent up front is the way most people manage, but I don't know for sure.
Thanks for the reply Bermudashorts..
May be you can call me LankanPants...

One of my friends also resorted to the approach you mentioned. My worry is I'm with a family and there's no guarantee even if you pay upfront. but your reply gives confidence.

Last edited by megaohms; Dec 21st 2009 at 9:45 am.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by vsuccess
Hi Megaohm,

I would suggest you to look at option, I advertised at [url]***** as I am going overseas for 3 months and you can rent for that time, find a job and decide on renting or buying a house.

Please let me know, if you have any questions.
Thanks vsuccess. At the moment I'm thinking to move in Late April. But your answer showed me a new option like the one you have suggested.

Hope you'll answer me when I come with more directed questions for the same issue.

Last edited by Dorothy; Dec 21st 2009 at 10:03 am. Reason: link removed
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 7:58 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

We have a unit which we rent out to new arrivals, and everybody is in a different scenario. Some have jobs already lined up, others have PR and no work yet, or like myself when I arrived on a 457, we had work & no permanent visa.

In all the cases of PR's without a job, they have all found somewhere permanent to live within 3-6 weeks & most still did not have full time employment at the time. They did however all find work pretty quick, and our last family had a rental within 10 days sorted, and 3 job offers within 5 weeks.
There is also an element of luck involved. Being in the right place at the right time, or bumping into the right people, but its not all doom and gloom. There are rentals out there, and there are still plenty of jobs out there. You might not start with the job you are looking for, but you will at least have some money coming in.

If you are looking to calculate just rental costs for the first period, a fully furnished unit/house will cost between $400 & 900 pw depending on where it is. A longer term unfurnished rental will cost $350 to $550 pw again depending on which area you decide to choose. This is based on Melbourne, Sydney will probably work out a bit more expensive, but others out there might be able to give a better idea.

What is your line of work? How close to Melbourne/Sydney CBD are you looking to live? Do you actually need to be close to the CBD for your work?

Also another point worth thinking about. You do read a lot of negativity on here about rentals, finding work, banks whatever, but you dont hear much of the success stories because the people just get on with things and dont need to go shouting about it. (dont forget, we are all winging poms at heart )

Old Dec 22nd 2009, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: Accomodation/rental advice request

Originally Posted by furkew
We have a unit which we rent out to new arrivals, and everybody is in a different scenario. Some have jobs already lined up, others have PR and no work yet, or like myself when I arrived on a 457, we had work & no permanent visa.

In all the cases of PR's without a job, they have all found somewhere permanent to live within 3-6 weeks & most still did not have full time employment at the time. They did however all find work pretty quick, and our last family had a rental within 10 days sorted, and 3 job offers within 5 weeks.
There is also an element of luck involved. Being in the right place at the right time, or bumping into the right people, but its not all doom and gloom. There are rentals out there, and there are still plenty of jobs out there. You might not start with the job you are looking for, but you will at least have some money coming in.

If you are looking to calculate just rental costs for the first period, a fully furnished unit/house will cost between $400 & 900 pw depending on where it is. A longer term unfurnished rental will cost $350 to $550 pw again depending on which area you decide to choose. This is based on Melbourne, Sydney will probably work out a bit more expensive, but others out there might be able to give a better idea.

What is your line of work? How close to Melbourne/Sydney CBD are you looking to live? Do you actually need to be close to the CBD for your work?

Also another point worth thinking about. You do read a lot of negativity on here about rentals, finding work, banks whatever, but you dont hear much of the success stories because the people just get on with things and dont need to go shouting about it. (dont forget, we are all winging poms at heart )

Thanks for your comprehensive answer furkew. Frankly, I feel very relaxed now.

I have little knowledge about Melbourne and Sydney although I like both as my future destinations. A few more known contacts live in Melbourne than in Sydney. So unless I have a job prospect I will land in Melbourne. Also, I had searched about Dandenong. One of my friends live in Mulgrave. So, I'll turn to you if I decide to come to Victoria.

I actually don't mind travelling for 30 - 45 minutes in a bus or train. there is no real need to stay closer to CBD. But I like to stay closer to public transport and preferably a school within walking distance. I can't buy a car at once, besides I need to get a license.

I am basically from an electronics/telecommunication background. But I am an IT guy too (Linux/IP Networks).

If you have details of your short-term rental property, pl send them to me:

else you can post them here.

Last edited by Dorothy; Dec 22nd 2009 at 10:13 am. Reason: email address removed
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 7:10 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megaohms
Thanks for your comprehensive answer furkew. Frankly, I feel very relaxed now.

I have little knowledge about Melbourne and Sydney although I like both as my future destinations. A few more known contacts live in Melbourne than in Sydney. So unless I have a job prospect I will land in Melbourne. Also, I had searched about Dandenong. One of my friends live in Mulgrave. So, I'll turn to you if I decide to come to Victoria.

I actually don't mind travelling for 30 - 45 minutes in a bus or train. there is no real need to stay closer to CBD. But I like to stay closer to public transport and preferably a school within walking distance. I can't buy a car at once, besides I need to get a license.

I am basically from an electronics/telecommunication background. But I am an IT guy too (Linux/IP Networks).

If you have details of your short-term rental property, pl send them to me:

else you can post them here.
I cannot presonnally imagine with an electronics & telecomunications background you will struggle to find work. I know plenty of guys in different trades, and they are all innundated with work, and have been for the last 6 months. We have a friend who is an electrician, and has done a number of jobs for us, and we are having to wait 6 weeks for him to do a couple of small jobs for us.

PM sent as well.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by furkew
I cannot presonnally imagine with an electronics & telecomunications background you will struggle to find work. I know plenty of guys in different trades, and they are all innundated with work, and have been for the last 6 months. We have a friend who is an electrician, and has done a number of jobs for us, and we are having to wait 6 weeks for him to do a couple of small jobs for us.

PM sent as well.
Thanks furkew.

Last edited by megaohms; Dec 23rd 2009 at 2:41 am.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 2:43 am
Just Joined

gobbler is an unknown quantity at this point

I came here couple years ago and found long term accomodation (first a house on the Central Coast & then an apartment on Gold Coast) without any problems. And both times I applied, I was unemployed & told them so. Only thing I needed was 100 points of ID (passport = 30 pts, bank statement = 15, etc) and that there are suffiecient funds in your acct even just to cover a few months rent. Found it easier to get a place here unemployed than when I was actually working in England btw if you're ever looking for a place on the Central Coast, go to Elders estate agents in Copacabana. Beautiful place, rents are fairly reasonable even with sea view & 5 mins walk to the beach + no congestion & stress like Sydney (though obviously not as good on the jobs front I imagine).