Aborigines?

Old Aug 2nd 2010, 11:55 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aborigines?

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
That website is written by some Aboriginals. Perhaps it is biased.
Maybe it's not? Maybe it's a true and proper reflection of the situation?

Native American Indian people share many of the same issues.
If you don't know, then perhaps education is your answer. It's all out there.
Maybe its theirs as well!
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

BudBrain has a spectacular aura aboutBudBrain has a spectacular aura aboutBudBrain has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
You are viewing it as just a couple of bad kids on an out of town sink estate... it's not like that. It's a totally disfunctional part of Australian society.
You're right I don't get it - I just find it rather sad/confusing to be honest but again, rather interesting.

At their population is growing, surely something will need to be done at some point but it seems no-one has an answer. Or as you say, over time they'll simply vanish.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

BudBrain has a spectacular aura aboutBudBrain has a spectacular aura aboutBudBrain has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Gibbo
I know an Aboriginal teacher who was appointed principal to a school in outback NSW which had, mainly, an aboriginal polulation. That person was there for just a year before leaving because the stress was so great. Does that help answer your question?
No, as I don't know the teacher
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

Shot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really nice

Originally Posted by eddie007
mate... I was the most politically person in the whole wide world before I came here... There ARE huge issues affecting the aboriginal population, their history, their culture and the inability of what appears to be a large number to attain "acceptable standards" to a white australian culture of behaviour and lifestyle.. including work ethic, basic living standards, the use of drugs and alcohol, gangs....

and it is EASY to become angry with a people as a whole and forget each one of them is an individual responsible for their own actions... no matter what their history...

It IS hard to see people receive handouts left right and centre people who believe they are "entitled" to services/ benefits/monies and "respect" simply by accident of birth... whilst you struggle.. and have your property and person invaded and disrespected... and it becomes easier to blame "aborigines" rather than individuals

I know some fabulous people... some are aboriginal... I know some Scum of the earth types too... black and white...

Throwing cash at a problem doesn't help it... it creates feelings of resentment ... and facilitates lifestyle choices not conducive to a peaceful and productive society

Wait til you've got here before judging those who resent some common everyday issues here in australia
I know what you’re saying totally understand it, but these issues have come from for the fact they were not respected from the very start, instead they were treated like animals, thrown off their land and used as salves. yes some have put that to a side and moved on built a good life and live well, and other have not, probably because they have a lot of resentment towards white people – and yes I understand the fact they think they should be respected for nothing…. But hell everyone wants a bit of respect no matter who you or what you are……, totally understand the crime part….the young lot are probably thinking well they think we are like that, do that stuff might as well do it then cos they don’t respect us…….
Someone mentioned education, which I think is the key, hell my folks had a lot of re-education to do! My gran and my dad hated and could not stand black people……. Not nice seeing your brother / uncle hacked up to bits with a knife in Uganda.
Countless racist attacks when they moved to the UK… at the time he hated white people, would not trust them for hell, but over time learnt that not everyone is like that … also
took them a very very long time to learn that not all black people are like that.
I’m 29 and I still get odd racist comments from a bigot once in a while but…. when I was younger ( 9-10) I hated white people, for the way my folks had been treated \ way I was treated at school when out and about etc ……. Took moving to another area and shown that not all “white” people are like that…. So yeah as silly as it sounds in a way I was “educated” which stopped me from being an angry so and so who would get into fights in a split second at school who would hang round with all the other Asians have a fag here and there etc… too someone who sits there and wets myself lol to see what next comment is made from the racist bigot.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 12:08 pm
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

The thing that strikes me abour Shot's story, is that the homeless guy took on a bit of individual responsibility. He didn't HAVE to help with the mugging incident, but he did. He didn't HAVE to help carry the boxes, but he did. Maybe his good fortune was as a result of his efforts, rather than sitting back & blaming others?
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 12:08 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BudBrain
You're right I don't get it - I just find it rather sad/confusing to be honest but again, rather interesting.

At their population is growing, surely something will need to be done at some point but it seems no-one has an answer. Or as you say, over time they'll simply vanish.
A little insight... The State government announced some time back now that dole payments would be withheld from aboriginal communities and only handed out in dribs and drabs after rent had been paid and as a method of stopping them drinking it all away. They were basically saying that they were not fit to handle their own finances and that the government knew better... what really surprised me was that almost nobody batted an eye.

Could you imagine the UK government passing a law that determined how your dole payments were made based on your race. !
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 12:10 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BudBrain
Quite the argumentative type aren't you!?

I agree with some of your points but if the whole world shared your pov I think we'd still be in the dark ages.

Australia is a modern, stable, 1st world country and historical wars based on territory and the strong wiping out the weak aren't really relevant to the current situation from what I understand.

In the modern world, we try to lead by example which means we have a duty to protect and educate.
lol...in your dreams mate!!! In the 'modern world' those who 'think' they have got all the moral and ethical responsibilities try and 'educate' those who are failing in those standards.....Iraq/Afghanistan/Chechnya/etc etc!!!
The Australian government 'thinks' it is doing the morally and ethically right thing by educating aboriginal peopel into acting and behaving the right way.....long way to go there!
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bibbs
I lived in the sticks of Perth when I was a kid.

Had a few incidents with aboriginies.

Usually involved them climbing in a window of your house and leaving with your posessions.

I have a very low view of them, but I try not to pass that view on.

If you get punched in the face by a green person, and then get punched in the face by another green person, and the same thing a third time. I bet you'll have a bad opinion and be more wary of green people.
Theres plenty of aborigines here in Adelaide also and they can be tricky to deal with, they have a certain way about them unlike any other race Ive ever met. The best ones that I know dont drink, work and/or have lived and grown up around white people.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

Shot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really nice

Originally Posted by JenniGee
The thing that strikes me abour Shot's story, is that the homeless guy took on a bit of individual responsibility. He didn't HAVE to help with the mugging incident, but he did. He didn't HAVE to help carry the boxes, but he did. Maybe his good fortune was as a result of his efforts, rather than sitting back & blaming others?
yep that’s what im trying to saying give them a little hand and maybe thing will change, not just money etc... but proper help sit down with the kids and listen to what they saying why they doing it etc...
but what Pollyana said also is something to watch out for tooo...
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 12:36 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by Shot81
yep that’s what im trying to saying give them a little hand and maybe thing will change, not just money etc... but proper help sit down with the kids and listen to what they saying why they doing it etc...
Its been tried....and tried...and tried............to no avail....doesn't mean they shoudl give up but they need to try another way.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 12:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shot81
But mate ... the problem is HUGE... its not a "little hand" they need ... there have to be massive changes ... yes every individual positive encounter is a positive thing...

and its not JUST the "troubled" kids... it is whole, and extended familes of several generations... who are "troubled"

even if the life expectancy of aboriginals is shockingly less than white australians
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 1:14 pm
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

The whole aboriginal people question is a difficult and tragic one. It wont be resolved anytime soon and will linger for the next couple of hundred years imo.
I know a very respectable aboriginal family, the mother is very aware of the difficulties her family is likely to encounter because of thier heritage and skin colour but she has raised 4 kids very well and one of her kids is a very respected sportsperson who travels around promoting the benefits of sport in thier community as a positive way forward. The mum is in middle of a psychology degree and works as a support worker for aboriginal kids in schools she is an absolute credit to the community.
However I reckon that there are cavernous differences between what is acceptable in the aboriginal community and the white community. Whilst not all aboriginals are glue sniffing alcoholics, there is a huge proportion that sadly are, and it is human nature to often acknowlege the bad things before the good. There are the horrifying reports of the sexual abuse that is rife in some communities (3 years olds with ghonorrea) and this is a widely accepted fact too, not just hearsay. the problem is compounded by the rest of the aboriginal communities apparent lack of action against these things that also condems them (this could be akin to the apparent silence of the moslem communities who dont appear to condemn the terrorist and extremist groups-although I am sure they are against it, but thats another thread Im sure!)
My experiences of aboriginals has been mixed. The ones I do know and work with are great people. The question australians always ask you is.. would you want an aboriginal living in your street? All the australians I know would say definately not.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Could you imagine the UK government passing a law that determined how your dole payments were made based on your race. !
Maybe not on your race, but on your ability to not spend it on Sky subscriptions and Lamberts?

I'd vote for that.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 2:20 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
Theres plenty of aborigines here in Adelaide also and they can be tricky to deal with, they have a certain way about them unlike any other race Ive ever met. The best ones that I know dont drink, work and/or have lived and grown up around white people.
SO orrifice Dribble , do you suggest
giving them poisend flour like are old settlers , did ........
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Officer Dibble;8746581]Theres plenty of aborigines here in Adelaide also and they can be tricky to deal with, they have a certain way about them unlike any other race Ive ever met. The best ones that I know dont drink, work and/or have lived and grown up around white people.[/QUOTE]

I may be wrong but is this not what the idea of the stolen generation was about? Breaking the cycle of poverty, drunkeness etc, by bringing up the children in white envionment. I don't think it was done with any malice but with good intensions.

We always hear about the bad side of this program but does anybody know what the numbers are for these people eg normal (in the white sense of the word) as opposed to the basket cases that a lot of us see daily?

Keel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.