90's born Aus Kids.

Old Mar 23rd 2018, 11:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 90's born Aus Kids.

Excellent article here for the young.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/real-estate/buying/the-definitive-answer-on-the-rent-v-buy-debate/news-story/45a74a625872d7987317e8d39d0687e7

I was waiting for the punch line at the end, how much money you can actually make if done smartly by renting over buying.

Big fan of renting here, though I did buy a house, one thing not mentioned in the article is how you can own a place without wasting money on bank interest whilst maintaining a good level of disposable income - make sure you have a big proportion of deposit.
Old Mar 24th 2018, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
I never realised you were in Perth. The dates you give and mention of nickel, leads me to suspect you are writing about the Poseidon Bubble that is legend from the time. Big money made and big money lost. Life in The Wild West...
A young fellow working for my stockbroker told me he had 100 Poseidon (1000, was it? I forget) and sold out right at the top of the market. I asked him how come he was still working, and he said "Ah, I invested in other stocks, didn't I? And lost every penny. Today I have $6000 in the bank - my savings from salary!"

I think I must have been a bit late to buy Poseidon shares, but I did manage to lose a fair chunk of what we had saved in Bahamas. Sigh. That's the way of the world. Fortunately, I was able to get another job to build up the kitty!
Old Mar 24th 2018, 8:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Excellent article here for the young.

Buy a house, or rent a house: Your answer to age-old debate

I was waiting for the punch line at the end, how much money you can actually make if done smartly by renting over buying.

Big fan of renting here, though I did buy a house, one thing not mentioned in the article is how you can own a place without wasting money on bank interest whilst maintaining a good level of disposable income - make sure you have a big proportion of deposit.
So big a fan that you don't practise what you preach. In a land where the purchase of a house/apartment is the closest most will arrive at a religion, it is a major break from norms to rent rather than purchase.

Now the maths behind are something I used quite a few decades back to justify not buying in London when in actual fact would have made a fortune if had done so.

But in this case one just arrives at the conclusion it is unaffordability pure and simple and nothing as heretic as renting costs winning out over purchase costs. The real estate and financial industries very quick to argue the opposite when in their interests. Now that the price has gone way above the heads of most earners they seek to appease the anger out there by claiming renting a feasible option.

Well it may be when protections are introduced as in other countries, not one sided, over whelming in favour of landlords and such limited protection for tenants. Here renting is a risk which ever way you look at it and just exasperates further what passes as the housing market in Australia.
Old Mar 24th 2018, 8:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
A young fellow working for my stockbroker told me he had 100 Poseidon (1000, was it? I forget) and sold out right at the top of the market. I asked him how come he was still working, and he said "Ah, I invested in other stocks, didn't I? And lost every penny. Today I have $6000 in the bank - my savings from salary!"

I think I must have been a bit late to buy Poseidon shares, but I did manage to lose a fair chunk of what we had saved in Bahamas. Sigh. That's the way of the world. Fortunately, I was able to get another job to build up the kitty!
Fortunes won and fortunes lost. An old story. Usually as we get a little older, sometimes even wiser, we take a more conservative view on risk.

At one point, obviously time will prevent the ability to make up losses, prudence becomes more the guide.

Darn nice feeling to have a bit in the kitty that will hopefully calm the waters to the likely rocky ride ahead. Sea legs and strong constitution will likely not go amiss to weather those storms ahead.
Old Mar 24th 2018, 9:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

So big a fan that you don't practise what you preach. In a land where the purchase of a house/apartment is the closest most will arrive at a religion, it is a major break from norms to rent rather than purchase.
For many years I did. In that time I was able to make good with disposable income via investments of other sorts that offered liquidity. You can't make good with other investments if you are piling it all into a mortgage.

I certainly did not buy before it became financially better than renting. As I said, that means a low mortgage.

Think of it as diversifying investments.

Now the maths behind are something I used quite a few decades back to justify not buying in London when in actual fact would have made a fortune if had done so.
Yes but that would require 2 caveats.

1. You to buy 2 properties. One you lived and one as an investment. You would have only made money on the investment as you always need sonewhere to live

2. For you to forecast London property to increase like it did.

But in this case one just arrives at the conclusion it is unaffordability pure and simple and nothing as heretic as renting costs winning out over purchase costs. The real estate and financial industries very quick to argue the opposite when in their interests. Now that the price has gone way above the heads of most earners they seek to appease the anger out there by claiming renting a feasible option.
This is incorrect. Property is still affordable, but if you want a 3 bed house on a quarter acre block within 10km of Melbourne or Sydney, this is not an option for most first buyers. This is no different to 40 years ago.

However, what has changed is FHB can now afford a dwelling within 10km of Sydney and Melbourne because of the apartment explosion. It might be a shoe box but that my friend is commonly known as the "property ladder" and that ladder also existed 40 years ago.

Well it may be when protections are introduced as in other countries, not one sided, over whelming in favour of landlords and such limited protection for tenants. Here renting is a risk which ever way you look at it and just exasperates further what passes as the housing market in Australia.
Not sure what's going on in WA but in NSW renters are well protected. For example, if you are out of contract, to terminate a lease a landlord needs to be 90 days notice. Tenant only needs to give 21 days. Having done the rental thing in NSW for a number of years I thought it fair and skewed toward to tenant if anything.