Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

7 days in Sarf London

Wikiposts

7 days in Sarf London

Old Mar 18th 2012, 1:57 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7 days in Sarf London

Is Sarf London more vibrant than The Bronx?
Old Mar 18th 2012, 2:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pomster
As a dweller in Sarf London, I feel I have to comment. We are near Sutton, Cheam, Kingston and Wimbledon- sort of squashed in the middle.

Sutton is as rough as xxx and not somewhere I would venture at night. Cheam and Wimbledon are very nice.
Parts of Kingston are nice, other parts you just would not venture to.

I used to live near Croydon- these days no amount of money would entice me to live there. Rather too many knifings for my mental health. No surprise that some of the nastier follow on riots happened there. (fire attack on Reeves corner was the most publicised).
West Croydon seems to encourage some awful types and it has only got worse since I lived there 12 years ago.

Still the SW parts are very nice but sadly unaffordable!
The 5 self made millionaires that saved Palace all hailed from around Croydon and still live South of the River. So people with real money still live in the area.

They'd want to because it's a real 'mare getting to the Ground by car.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 3:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

As a dweller in Sarf London, I feel I have to comment. We are near Sutton, Cheam, Kingston and Wimbledon- sort of squashed in the middle.

Sutton is as rough as xxx and not somewhere I would venture at night. Cheam and Wimbledon are very nice.

I used to live near Croydon- these days no amount of money would entice me to live there. Rather too many knifings for my mental health. No surprise that some of the nastier follow on riots happened there. (fire attack on Reeves corner was the most publicised).
West Croydon seems to encourage some awful types and it has only got worse since I lived there 12 years ago.
Sutton used to be a little respectable years ago...what killed it was a hoon and chav element - a nightclub, attracting all the Darrens and Traceys..

There are some very nasty estates to the W and N of Croydon. Not the S London that people often talk about - the gritty vibrant parts - just awful areas.

Originally Posted by renth
They are "vibrant" though.

I think that's what people mean when they say "vibrant" isn't it? - it means a high chance of being stabbed, mugged, robbed, stepping in dog shit.
Hmmm...I agree in part. See, the truly vibrant areas have posh people. Non-vibrant areas have no posh people.

A posh mate of mine moved to Tooting 12 years ago - "its on the tube, and has a Tesco". I'm guessing that as Clapham is up the road that it's now outrageously cool.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 3:34 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Sutton used to be a little respectable years ago...what killed it was a hoon and chav element - a nightclub, attracting all the Darrens and Traceys..

There are some very nasty estates to the W and N of Croydon. Not the S London that people often talk about - the gritty vibrant parts - just awful areas.

Hmmm...I agree in part. See, the truly vibrant areas have posh people. Non-vibrant areas have no posh people.

A posh mate of mine moved to Tooting 12 years ago - "its on the tube, and has a Tesco". I'm guessing that as Clapham is up the road that it's now outrageously cool.
I used to live in Clapton, that was vibrant and diverse and a shithole but you could get Jerk Chicken just like mamma used to make and all the meat was Halal. Plus if you ran out of drugs you could just buy some on the street, easy peasy.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 3:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

They are building a railline (Tube) from Croydon to Islington... I think it's actually in progress. Straight to Highbury without having to go into Central London.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 3:40 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

No.

I think that's what people mean when they say "vibrant" isn't it?
Old Mar 18th 2012, 3:41 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent, so its like Sydneys Western suburbs?

I used to live in Clapton, that was vibrant and diverse and a
shithole but you could get Jerk Chicken just like mamma used to make and all the meat was Halal. Plus if you ran out of drugs you could just buy some on the street, easy peasy.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 3:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I used to live in Clapton, that was vibrant and diverse and a shithole but you could get Jerk Chicken just like mamma used to make and all the meat was Halal.
Funny iniit... one thing I really miss from whence I came is Jamaica Patties. So it's not totally 100pct bad.

I also learned when and how to spot muggers and steps to avoid them.... When to use a high street and when to use the back roads that kind of thing. Really gives you a feel for whats dodgy and not dodgy. It actually comes down to how you hold yourself.

That Bat and Ball Club in Peckham used to be really bad to be around at chucking out time. Even I wouldnt venture out then.... and I reckon I really knew how to avoid problems.

Worst situation I was ever in.... was around a Non Believer or person that wasn't used to the area, from Glasgow by the sounds and manner of him I reckoned. He fronted up to all the 14 year olds that were pushing in in front of him at one of the local eateries.... I tried to give him a serious warning look but he wasn't having it. He got buried under a sea of about 20 or more 14 year old West Indians.... These days he probably would have got stabbed. There was honestly nothing I could do as I would have definitely copped the same. Always haunted me that night... Plus I lived there and they probably would have remembered me. . It was damn hard to witness.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Mar 18th 2012 at 3:50 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 3:46 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
IMO there isn't one part of Melbourne that is as rough as most of South East London..... SE >XX

Might as well post this again at this point.... It's damn funny.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3Ll8zW4wkls

Another one.... not so funny that is something not that unusual from whence I came... how she survived all those years there is beyond me though. Typical New Addington.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=63oZ57kcB5E
The first one is so funny - he must have some sort of tourettes(?) or something, I have never heard anyone swear so much in one sentence, so quickly.

The woman below just needs a sponge in her mouth, some duct tape and a bag on her head, and she will be fine if taken to a special place for special people.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 4:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Worst situation I was ever in.... was around a Non Believer or person that wasn't used to the area, from Glasgow by the sounds and manner of him I reckoned. He fronted up to all the 14 year olds that were pushing in in front of him at one of the local eateries.... I tried to give him a serious warning look but he wasn't having it. He got buried under a sea of about 20 or more 14 year old West Indians.... These days he probably would have got stabbed.
But was it for real, or was it just 'stacks'.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 4:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by chris955
No.
It's what I think many people mean!

Vibrant is often an euphemism, make no mistake.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 4:37 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Still the SW parts are very nice but sadly unaffordable!
I used to live and work in Croydon (bought my first home in South Croydon). While parts of it are nice (some very nice), most parts are not. Crossing the road from central Croydon to West Croydon (by M&S) is like entering the 3rd world!
Old Mar 18th 2012, 5:47 pm
Banned

Its not what i think of when i hear the word vibrant, it seems like a very odd way to view the term in connection to a city.

It's what I think many people mean!

Vibrant is often an euphemism, make no mistake.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinsdad

Deptford, Peckham, Lewisham, Catford, Kidbrooke, Woolwich, Penge, Elephant, Bermondsey, Camberwell - that's MY south (east) London. Miss it ? never, but will admit in areas like those you'll see the worst and best that human nature has to offer.
That's the real Sarf London, that's real full on bandit country. It feels like entering a different city down there and i always avoided it as much as possible.

Charlie Chaplin, Michael Caine, Jamie Forman. It's Freddie Forman, Charlie
Richardson, Mad Frankie Fraser, the Great Train Robbers. It's Jade Goody, Charley Uchea, Millwall Football Club, Charlton Athletic. It's bear-baiting in Southwark and Christopher Marlowe's death in Deptford. It's Graham Swift's The Last Orders, Michael Winterbottom's Wonderland, Gary Oldman's Nil By Mouth. It's Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine, Saxon Sound System, Kirsty MacColl, Squeeze, speed garage and jungle music. It's Electric Avenue and Deptford High Street, pie and mash shops, the Dog and Bell in Deptford, the Brixton riots and the Battle of Lewisham, Jah Shaka at the Moonshot, Club Multepulciano at the Rivoli Ballroom, and perhaps even the Flying Pickets at the Albany Empire.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 6:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by papilon
That's the real Sarf London, that's real full on bandit country. It feels like entering a different city down there and i always avoided it as much as possible.

Charlie Chaplin, Michael Caine, Jamie Forman. It's Freddie Forman, Charlie
Richardson, Mad Frankie Fraser, the Great Train Robbers. It's Jade Goody, Charley Uchea, Millwall Football Club, Charlton Athletic. It's bear-baiting in Southwark and Christopher Marlowe's death in Deptford. It's Graham Swift's The Last Orders, Michael Winterbottom's Wonderland, Gary Oldman's Nil By Mouth. It's Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine, Saxon Sound System, Kirsty MacColl, Squeeze, speed garage and jungle music. It's Electric Avenue and Deptford High Street, pie and mash shops, the Dog and Bell in Deptford, the Brixton riots and the Battle of Lewisham, Jah Shaka at the Moonshot, Club Multepulciano at the Rivoli Ballroom, and perhaps even the Flying Pickets at the Albany Empire.
Pink Floyd at the Garden Party... and the Stranglers at Battersea park.... Dr Smiths and the Witch Doctor (aka the shoot out between the Richardson and Krays in Catford) Tommy Steele, Captain Sensible, David Bowie and the Quo from Sedge Hill. Mods and Rockers down the South Circular ... The Arches at London Bridge and Bermondsey.. Julian Cleary as a Underground lift attendent, The Bromley contingent without whom Punk would never have happened. School mates nicking lead off roofs..

One thing you got totally wrong.... There is only one team in South London worth Mentioning

The Twin Icons that act as a beacon for South London.... The TV Masts that the whole of London can see from anywhere high.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Mar 18th 2012 at 6:49 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.