Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

7 days in Sarf London

Wikiposts

7 days in Sarf London

Old Mar 17th 2012, 8:46 pm
Perth WA

Twinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud of
Default Re: 7 days in Sarf London

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Doesn't sound very reminiscent of the South London I'm in right now - having a cup of tea overlooking a sunlit garden of daffodils. Going for a run in Clapham common and then roast lunch in Dulwich village.
Ahh Dulwich... the best lamb I ever tasted was had in Dulwich - I know my post was pretty skewed to the negative but even the rare delights of south of the river and they are few and far between, can't make it alright for me and mine I'm afraid. Mind you, I'm focusing mainly on south east london, that lawless pocket of hell that makes Dulwich and Clapham look good. Enjoy your roast
Old Mar 17th 2012, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Twinsdad
South london is a toilet - I lived there for 23 years, the wife was born and bred there. We moved to suffolk five years ago as we were utterly tired of the crime, filth, traffic, antisocial behaviour etc etc. what did it for me was trying to park outside the flat in Lewisham - 5 school age teenagers on bikes in the way, I politely asked them to move and was fronted up and told to f**k off, I was going to get out of the car until my wife said "think about it, they know our faces, we're sat in a soft-top, they know where we live and you'll end up in an ambulance" she was right, getting out of the car would have been a stupid thing to do - that was the last straw for me, that and my eldest being mugged at gunpoint for his mobile phone, my wife being punched in the stomach and mugged in broad daylight while walking through Catford. My best mate, a consultant, the kindest man in the world, beaten up and mugged for his bike - jeez I could go on and on.... I felt more nervous in south east london than I ever did in Kabul, seriously. Been down there a couple of times in the last month to do the goodbye thing before we fly out to Perth and was reminded just how awful things are there. Anyone that has lived there has either been a victim of crime or knows someone who has. People don't live in south london, they survive it. Don't care if I never go back to south london in my entire life. I realised I couldn't bring my kids up there and send them to school and look at myself in the mirror every morning, just get a bus in Lewisham at four in the afternoon if you don't know what I mean. Sunny days in Greenwich park or a posh coffee in Blackheath (if you can find a parking space and flog a kidney to pay for it) don't make up for the fact it's a crap place to live.Don't get me wrong, not knocking the UK - of course there are still lovely places to live and visit but south london ?... you couldn't pay me enough.
Just back from 9 years mainly spent in SE13 and I never experienced any of these things, and nor did anyone I knew. It sounds like a few of your problems stemmed from wanting to drive and park everywhere, which is the easiest way to become frustrated in London. When on foot, the odd tactical crossing of the street works wonders.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 9:41 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Can someone clarify what constitutes South London cos I'm confused now!?
Old Mar 17th 2012, 10:00 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Wikipedia 'south London' and it lists the boroughs - I can't put the link in from my iPhone. What is confusing you?
Old Mar 17th 2012, 10:07 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
  • Bexley
  • Bromley
  • Croydon
  • Greenwich
  • Kingston
  • Lambeth
  • Lewisham
  • Merton
  • Richmond
  • Southwark
  • Sutton
  • Wandsworth
Old Mar 17th 2012, 10:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commonwealth
  • Bexley
  • Bromley
  • Croydon
  • Greenwich
  • Kingston
  • Lambeth
  • Lewisham
  • Merton
  • Richmond
  • Southwark
  • Sutton
  • Wandsworth
But there is a world of a difference between Richmond, and er say Croydon.

S London is due S for me. The colorful bit.

Only thing I would add is that parts of the former rough S London have been cool, vibrant, if grainy for some time.

I know lots of people who live quite cool lives in the environs of Lewiscum.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 10:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Doesn't sound very reminiscent of the South London I'm in right now - having a cup of tea overlooking a sunlit garden of daffodils. Going for a run in Clapham common and then roast lunch in Dulwich village.
Aha! That's the trendy part of S London. Clapham almost doesn't count as S London now - well not the gritty bit anyhow, and has been for years.

But as I've said, I wager there has been improvement in areas.

There are also ordinary parts of S London that are not bad, nor are nice. You can turn a corner and find an area which is...just nothing..
Old Mar 17th 2012, 10:24 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Lots of nothing is spot on. A bit like Melbourne
Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Aha! That's the trendy part of S London. Clapham almost doesn't count as S London now - well not the gritty bit anyhow, and has been for years.

But as I've said, I wager there has been improvement in areas.

There are also ordinary parts of S London that are not bad, nor are nice. You can turn a corner and find an area which is...just nothing..
Old Mar 17th 2012, 10:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

It's anywhere South of the River and a London Borough as far as I'm concerned.... Which includes South West London.

Some people have tried to claim Chelsea as South London... because of the imaginary Geographical line that runs through London, giving Chelsea a SW post code..... but we aint having it
Old Mar 17th 2012, 10:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinsdad
South london is a toilet - I lived there for 23 years, the wife was born and bred there. We moved to suffolk five years ago as we were utterly tired of the crime, filth, traffic, antisocial behaviour etc etc. what did it for me was trying to park outside the flat in Lewisham - 5 school age teenagers on bikes in the way, I politely asked them to move and was fronted up and told to f**k off, I was going to get out of the car until my wife said "think about it, they know our faces, we're sat in a soft-top, they know where we live and you'll end up in an ambulance" she was right, getting out of the car would have been a stupid thing to do - that was the last straw for me, that and my eldest being mugged at gunpoint for his mobile phone, my wife being punched in the stomach and mugged in broad daylight while walking through Catford. My best mate, a consultant, the kindest man in the world, beaten up and mugged for his bike - jeez I could go on and on.... I felt more nervous in south east london than I ever did in Kabul, seriously. Been down there a couple of times in the last month to do the goodbye thing before we fly out to Perth and was reminded just how awful things are there. Anyone that has lived there has either been a victim of crime or knows someone who has. People don't live in south london, they survive it. Don't care if I never go back to south london in my entire life. I realised I couldn't bring my kids up there and send them to school and look at myself in the mirror every morning, just get a bus in Lewisham at four in the afternoon if you don't know what I mean. Sunny days in Greenwich park or a posh coffee in Blackheath (if you can find a parking space and flog a kidney to pay for it) don't make up for the fact it's a crap place to live.Don't get me wrong, not knocking the UK - of course there are still lovely places to live and visit but south london ?... you couldn't pay me enough.
Dont ask me how... My other Bulletin board is South London based... its also probably one of the largest chat boards in the UK. with over 100,000 members... They love it there.... there are some very well to do people on it as well. If I even hint I've moved to a better place they go bonkers.

They did have a laugh when someone from Manchester came on and tell them how to handle muggers.

At one stage in my life, I never knew one person that hadn't been mugged. Only time I ever managed to get myself in a position where I got street robbed was in North London..... Slightly different situation though... hit over the head with a bottle and had my scarf grabbed, outside Euston Station, on my way back to my parental place in Milton Keynes. The remnants of the group apologised afterwards and claimed they thought I was a Villa rather than Palace fan and fellow Londoner.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Mar 17th 2012 at 10:39 pm.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

It occurred to me the other day that in my entire London life I didn't spend a single night north of the Thames. The closest I came was a 4am minicab ride south from Crouch End in April 2006.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 10:40 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Croydon, Greenwich, Hackney, Haringey and Southwark were the most affected boroughs during the riots.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 10:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DC10
It occurred to me the other day that in my entire London life I didn't spend a single night north of the Thames. The closest I came was a 4am minicab ride south from Crouch End in April 2006.
Wow never pulled a proper cockney like ?
Old Mar 17th 2012, 10:41 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Isnt it interesting how different people can see the exact same place so differently? There are places here i dont even like driving through but many seem to love living there.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 10:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by chris955
Isnt it interesting how different people can see the exact same place so differently? There are places here i dont even like driving through but many seem to love living there.
IMO there isn't one part of Melbourne that is as rough as most of South East London..... SE >XX

Might as well post this again at this point.... It's damn funny.

Another one.... not so funny that is something not that unusual from whence I came... how she survived all those years there is beyond me though. Typical New Addington.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Mar 17th 2012 at 10:49 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.