Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

7 days in Sarf London

Wikiposts

7 days in Sarf London

Old Apr 1st 2012, 10:21 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7 days in Sarf London

Wrapped around it? It was like a bloody walnut whip.

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Did she have her hands wrapped, indeed glued, around your John Thomas. Most of the best motorbike stories I hear involve this scenario?
Old Apr 1st 2012, 10:24 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Wrapped around it? It was like a bloody walnut whip.
Eew...

With a nut on top.
Old Apr 1st 2012, 10:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
To be frank I'm way too hungover today.

And I've got to do it all again tonight
Really enjoyed those posts of yours TE... I loved the balance in them.
Old Apr 1st 2012, 1:08 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

The nut was at the other end

Originally Posted by brissybee
Eew...

With a nut on top.
Old Apr 1st 2012, 7:52 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Last observations after 21 days in 'South' London (ie, not a gritty enough area for the 'Sarf' badge of honour )

There are way too many scarey big dogs (pitbulls, staff bulls) in some areas of London. Owners often have them off the lead and they frighten me.

Next day post is amazing and so cheap. The delights of a small country.

Sundays are wonderful here. Sleepy day,long bubble bath, newspaper, roast lunch, Colombo, Antiques roadshow....

Everyone seems to be squabbling over the fact they haven't received olympic tickets - I don't know how they have been allocated but I seem to have a friend with tickets for 12 events but most with none.

Afro Carribean hair shops advertising things like 'threads, weaves, twists' . They also always seem to be full of people who don't leave.

Moss - fluffy green moss and lichen coming out of cracks and creeping over pavements

There is a European influence to so much here. French on menus, everyday conversation involves phrases like 'je ne c'est quoi' etc

Hoards of school kids are frightening. They have dark uniforms which are all shortened, drawn on, ripped or adulterated in some way. The children seem older,especially the girls.

I've lost the feeling that lots of sentences in the media are badly formed and grammatically wrong.

Central London's property market is a roofer. I was under the impression my N1 house would be sinking in value but it seems central property is up significantly

One Direction are unfortunately pretty big here. (Lots of rubbish about how they are the next Beatles (yawn)

Titanic is being re-released in 3D - jeez.... it was crap enough the first time

Urban foxes scurrying across roads at night

Hedgehogs!!

I've not cringed at the word 'rort' for weeks

The pavement is patchwork - mended again and again in slightly different tones of tarmac

Manky London pidgeons missing feet

Radio Times - such a blast from the past. It even had a 'knit yourself a Sarah Lund jumper' (The Killing)

There is so much that surprises me here - in a bar on saturday and suddenly there was a Burlesque performance. Pub last week and a Reggae band started playing.

Leaflets for curry, pizza and chinese come through the door thick and fast

Robin red breasts and black birds

There is a huge array of crisp flavours and shapes. Skips, monster munch, Smith's salt 'n' shake, nik naks, frazzles, space invaders.....Pickled onion, spring onion, smokey bacon, beef and onion, worcester sauce...

Dvds for £1 in pubs sold by Chinese men

Cold days and bright sun

Being hit on by blokes chancing their arm. It never happens in Australia.

Myanmar is called Burma by the BBC (apparently as it was never renamed by a democratically elected government)

Fanta is pale wee-y yellow colour

Dry cleaners are everywhere - £1.50 for a shirt

Swimming pools are all indoors with warm changing rooms and lockers but are busy and so small (just 25 metres)

30th anniversary of the Falklands war

There are diet editions of all drinks - not just diet/zero coke

Stained glass windows in churches and houses

Iphone apps are used in all aspects of life. Went out for a delicious Nepalese curry last night with a friend and he booked the restaurant from the pub by pressing a button on 'Top Table' which gave us 50% off and we could choose where we sat.

That's probably all folks. My return is looming
Old Apr 1st 2012, 7:55 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Last observations after 21 days in 'South' London (ie, not a gritty enough area for the 'Sarf' badge of honour )

There are way too many scarey big dogs (pitbulls, staff bulls) in some areas of London. Owners often have them off the lead and they frighten me.

Next day post is amazing and so cheap. The delights of a small country.

Sundays are wonderful here. Sleepy day,long bubble bath, newspaper, roast lunch, Colombo, Antiques roadshow....

Everyone seems to be squabbling over the fact they haven't received olympic tickets - I don't know how they have been allocated but I seem to have a friend with tickets for 12 events but most with none.

Afro Carribean hair shops advertising things like 'threads, weaves, twists' . They also always seem to be full of people who don't leave.

Moss - fluffy green moss and lichen coming out of cracks and creeping over pavements

There is a European influence to so much here. French on menus, everyday conversation involves phrases like 'je ne c'est quoi' etc

Hoards of school kids are frightening. They have dark uniforms which are all shortened, drawn on, ripped or adulterated in some way. The children seem older,especially the girls.

I've lost the feeling that lots of sentences in the media are badly formed and grammatically wrong.

Central London's property market is a roofer. I was under the impression my N1 house would be sinking in value but it seems central property is up significantly

One Direction are unfortunately pretty big here. (Lots of rubbish about how they are the next Beatles (yawn)

Titanic is being re-released in 3D - jeez.... it was crap enough the first time

Urban foxes scurrying across roads at night

Hedgehogs!!

I've not cringed at the word 'rort' for weeks

The pavement is patchwork - mended again and again in slightly different tones of tarmac

Manky London pidgeons missing feet

Radio Times - such a blast from the past. It even had a 'knit yourself a Sarah Lund jumper' (The Killing)

There is so much that surprises me here - in a bar on saturday and suddenly there was a Burlesque performance. Pub last week and a Reggae band started playing.

Leaflets for curry, pizza and chinese come through the door thick and fast

Robin red breasts and black birds

There is a huge array of crisp flavours and shapes. Skips, monster munch, Smith's salt 'n' shake, nik naks, frazzles, space invaders.....Pickled onion, spring onion, smokey bacon, beef and onion, worcester sauce...

Dvds for £1 in pubs sold by Chinese men

Cold days and bright sun

Being hit on by blokes chancing their arm. It never happens in Australia.

Myanmar is called Burma by the BBC (apparently as it was never renamed by a democratically elected government)

Fanta is pale wee-y yellow colour

Dry cleaners are everywhere - £1.50 for a shirt

Swimming pools are all indoors with warm changing rooms and lockers but are busy and so small (just 25 metres)

30th anniversary of the Falklands war

Stained glass windows in churches and houses

Iphone apps are used in all aspects of life. Went out for a delicious Nepalese curry last night with a friend and he booked the restaurant from the pub by pressing a button on 'Top Table' which gave us 50% off and we could choose where we sat.

You ain't met the Barfly yet
Old Apr 1st 2012, 11:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Nice collection TE.

How come no one hits on you in Qld: thought it was a macho joint up there?

Loved the burlesque reference : my wife and I enjoy that scene and have friends who are into the Melbourne scene in a serious way.

It does seem that british schoolkids can't just wear their uniform as is...a lot more modification.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

I smiled at the leaflets through the door.

I am amazed at just how many charities (!) collect textiles via plastic bags in your letter box. We probably get 3-4 a week. £5 per tonne goes to charity while the bosses drive flashy cars.

Litter everywhere amazes me too. It is just everywhere and no one bats an eye.

I have spent a fair bit of time visiting hospitals over the last few weeks - they all look really run down but the staff are lovely. The hospitals I have visited in Melbourne always look shiny clean.

Its strange the stuff you notice from time to time. Today I am enjoying the trees full of blossom, despite the doom-monger media telling us snow is imminent!
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 8:59 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

squirrels! i miss squirrels abd chipmunks!
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 9:06 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commonwealth
squirrels! i miss squirrels abd chipmunks!
Chipmunks??
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 9:15 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

You mentioned them on purpose!!

I know it's a minor thing because I don't really drink pop but it was lovely to walk into Tesco last year and be able to drink any pop I wanted because there was invariably a diet version of it.

Sounds like you've had a great trip TE, it must make the thought of returning to Australia worse for you? Or is enough to help you gird your loins for however you long you have left?
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 10:32 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rasen78
Chipmunks??
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 2:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

I hate squirrels- just tree rats. But I miss hedgehogs, robins and blackbirds, and the English spring with primroses, daffs and later hawthorn and bluebells.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 2:22 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing I miss with regards to UK wildlife, although I have never seen one - are badgers, Ive seen a squashed one but that doesnt count.

Yesterday outside my office window I had a group of red tailed black cockatoos - I was mesmerised and nothing can equal that, not a robin, nor blackbird or anything.

Old Apr 2nd 2012, 3:03 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Great post again... thanks.

So, how do you feel about returning? Where has more pros now your memory is refreshed?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.