Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

5 hours to kill at Kuala Lumpur airport

5 hours to kill at Kuala Lumpur airport

Old Nov 24th 2009, 5:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold
Default 5 hours to kill at Kuala Lumpur airport

I have 5 hours to pass by while in transit to the UK at KL airport flying with Malaysian. Anybody have any ideas what to do?

I land just before 6am and take off just before 11am. It crosses my mind whether to take the train into KL (about 30 mins each way) - but I guess that would leave me just enough time to take the metro up to the Petronas towers and go 'ooh' before heading back.

Unfortunately it would seem that 5 hours is too long to be wandering aimlessly around the airport but not long enough to go down town.

Any ideas to help prevent boredom setting in would be welcome.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 5:49 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 5 hours to kill at Kuala Lumpur airport

Originally Posted by Deutschmaster
I have 5 hours to pass by while in transit to the UK at KL airport flying with Malaysian. Anybody have any ideas what to do?

I land just before 6am and take off just before 11am. It crosses my mind whether to take the train into KL (about 30 mins each way) - but I guess that would leave me just enough time to take the metro up to the Petronas towers and go 'ooh' before heading back.

Unfortunately it would seem that 5 hours is too long to be wandering aimlessly around the airport but not long enough to go down town.

There is a lounge that you can pay to use. We paid about MYR80 (AUD28) and our son got in for free. It's good value for the cost. I had a shower, a nice Thai beef salad, 4-5 Carlsbergs, a massage, watched some TV, used the internet, read the paper - a great way to kill a few hours.

It's called the Premier lounge or something like that - check it out.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 5:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

Oooh, a massage then beer does sound good after a long overnight flight. Will look in to that - thanks
Old Nov 24th 2009, 5:55 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Oooh, a massage then beer does sound good after a long overnight flight. Will look in to that - thanks
No worries. It's not as nice as a business class lounge but is good value for what you pay.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 6:15 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
There is a lounge that you can pay to use. We paid about MYR80 (AUD28) and our son got in for free. It's good value for the cost. I had a shower, a nice Thai beef salad, 4-5 Carlsbergs, a massage, watched some TV, used the internet, read the paper - a great way to kill a few hours.

It's called the Premier lounge or something like that - check it out.
4-5 Carlsbergs? That constitutes a "piss-up"...doesn't it?
Old Nov 24th 2009, 6:38 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
It does if you are very small and European. Like a vole.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 6:41 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burbage
It does if you are very small and European. Like a vole.
Apparently, there are 155 species of Vole which makes your statement a bit of a sweeping generalisation?
Old Nov 24th 2009, 6:42 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently, there are 155 species of Vole which makes your statement a bit of a sweeping generalisation?
So let the voles sue me.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 6:44 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

Originally Posted by Burbage
So let the voles sue me.
Which genus?
Old Nov 24th 2009, 6:50 am
Proudly Deplorable

I was just getting started but if the family had not been with me......
Old Nov 24th 2009, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Having been to KL myself,I'd also go for the lounge option.5 hours sounds like quite a long time but it does tend to go quite quickly.Have a nice shower,massage ect,surf on the internet and by the time you need to board the flight again,you''ll be feeling pretty good!
Old Nov 24th 2009, 7:27 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

Originally Posted by livinginreality
Having been to KL myself,I'd also go for the lounge option.5 hours sounds like quite a long time but it does tend to go quite quickly.Have a nice shower,massage ect,surf on the internet and by the time you need to board the flight again,you''ll be feeling pretty good!
Pretending your walking on the moon will also lengthen the time it takes to do anything thus giving an overall false impression of time appearing to pass quickly. Just try not to fart in your spacesuit?

Don't knock it until you've tried it?
Old Nov 24th 2009, 8:12 am
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute

Would not suggest going into KL - just enough time to miss the plane back (!!) but you can check into the pretty cheap airside hotel for 6 hour periods (sounds dodgy but its not!) - I think it cost me £30 a couple of years ago. There you can get a decent shower, watch telly, and sleep a bit if you fancy. The hours pass pretty quick. KL is a nice airport but not huge, you probably don't want to spent it watching the departure boards! Good luck - will be passing through myself in 10 days (double eek!)
Old Nov 24th 2009, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Pretending your walking on the moon will also lengthen the time it takes to do anything thus giving an overall false impression of time appearing to pass quickly. Just try not to fart in your spacesuit?

Don't knock it until you've tried it?
Pardon?I have tried it thankyou,and I know which option I prefer!
Old Nov 24th 2009, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

we have used the in transit hotel too.
It is lovely to lay horizontally in crisp linen sheets and have a hot shower (not while in the linen sheets though- they get a bit damp).

They also provided TV and some little drinks for the price- about 25quid or so.
Def worth it for me, H and baby daughter....