Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

3 questions for Body Builders/Trainers.

3 questions for Body Builders/Trainers.

Old Aug 31st 2009, 11:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

BARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant future
Question 3 questions for Body Builders/Trainers.

Hi 2 All BodyBuilders/Trainers...

I have just started exercising. I have 2 questions about my Training Schedule.

1- Is it harmful to exercise everyday ? I exercise my upper body section everyday and don't feel tired or don't feel any specific pain in my muscles or joints. I like to continue exercising everyday to get better results unless it is harmful for my muscles.

2- What is the best thing to drink in the gym while exercising? Water ... or anything else?

3- What is the best carbohydrates I can eat? Should I consume the carbohydrates right after exercising ?

Thank you for your attention .
Old Aug 31st 2009, 11:25 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 3 questions for Body Builders/Trainers.

Originally Posted by BARDI77

1- Is it harmful to exercise everyday ? I exercise my upper body section everyday and don't feel tired or don't feel any specific pain in my muscles or joints. I like to continue exercising everyday to get better results unless it is harmful for my muscles.

2- What is the best thing to drink in the gym while exercising? Water ... or anything else?

3- What is the best carbohydrates I can eat? Should I consume the carbohydrates right after exercising ?

I can answer your carbs qu.

Go for complex carbs. So brown wholemeal whole grain bread. Brown pasta. Long grain rice, or brown rice (Long grain is lower GI but has less fibre in it than brown) Jacket spuds with skins. If it's white, or made from white flour, don't eat it.
Keep off simple carbs such as sugar, fruit juice etc. Fruit juice is better if it has pulp in it, but otherwise, avoid.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 12:16 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

NO. Excercise everyday if you like. I do. However, you should consider what body parts you are working out that day and make sure there is adequate time for recovery. So one day you can work chest & triceps, the next back and biceps, the next legs, etc etc. This will lead to the optimum stress to produce growth but at the same time give time for recovery. Do not work the same excercises everyday. This will lead to over training and poor results.

Water. There are hundreds of flash drinks out there. I've pretty much been on the lot in my time from drinking protein to glucose complexes with amino acids. Heck, I've even eaten amino acid powder between sets when I was into weights in a big way. In my opinion, don't bother with any of it unless you are at comp level and know your body composition very well and how to tweak it. Drink water. And not gatorade or any other sugary drink ether.

Yes. Eat carbs immediate after excercise. However, whilst the poster above suggested complex carbs, this is not true within the 30 mins after your session. At this stage you are trying to create a insulin spike to optimise recovery combined with protein. So think fruit and a protein powder shake. Also add some fat in the form of either flax seed oil, or fish oil caps.

Outside those times, yes complex carbs. Here is a decent link to general food guidelines http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/start-diet.html

Answers in red. Have a surf of the internet. Try these sites.

www.crossfit.com - look at the forum section on nutrition specifically.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_forum - everything you wanted to know about bodybuilding but were afraid to ask.

Ultimately the best advice I can give any novice is make a plan. Set out your week and what you are going to do. Stick to it and write everything down in a journal.

Consider asking a personal trainer to write a plan for you, including nutrition. However, herein lies the danger, many trainers now days are simply Cert IV trainers with no real idea as to sports specific training or strength and conditioning. So, get advice from people who LOOK like what you aspire to be and train the way you want to train. They have walked the walk and continue to do so.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 12:19 am

Creating insulin spikes is healthy? When did that happen?

The protein will surely slow down the insulin release anyway, won't it? And the carbs will ensure the protein absorbs slower... so does it actually spike?

Last edited by TiddlyPom; Sep 1st 2009 at 12:23 am.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 2:08 am
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light

It's OK if you're exercising different muscles, as Centurion says. The muscles need to recover for 24-48 hours between workouts as this is where all the improvement is made. Basically a muscle rips and tears it's fibres in a workout and the muscle lays down new fibres over the top (like scar tissue). Without the recovery phase you'll just continually reopen the same tears and not make any improvement.

Split your routine into upper/lower body or push/pull exercises, and do that three times a week. It is very important to have at least one day off a week completely for your energy system and adrenals etc, to recover.

And as you are just restarting your exercise go easy otherwise injury city is around the corner....
Old Sep 1st 2009, 3:55 am

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom

The protein will surely slow down the insulin release anyway, won't it? And the carbs will ensure the protein absorbs slower... so does it actually spike?
I was being serious ...
Old Sep 1st 2009, 11:14 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom

The science behind the intake of high GI carbs and protein immediate following exercise in the 30 minute window is documented widely and something which is common place in professional level sports teams and exploited widely by strength and conditioning coaches.

In essence the insulin spike inhibits muscle protein breakdown. Here is an excellent article which explains it more in depth.

http://www.protraineronline.com/past...5/article4.cfm
Old Sep 1st 2009, 11:49 am
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Centurion
The science behind the intake of high GI carbs and protein immediate following exercise in the 30 minute window is documented widely and something which is common place in professional level sports teams and exploited widely by strength and conditioning coaches.

In essence the insulin spike inhibits muscle protein breakdown. Here is an excellent article which explains it more in depth.

I'd say 0.3 - 0.5grammes of carbs, per kilo of bodyweight, and the same amount of protein, for a full recovery after a very hard session.
So if you're 80kgs, then have a meal with 25-40g of carbs and the same protein.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

BARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant future

Thank You all for your precious helps.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by Centurion

Thanks C. That's really interesting.