Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

10 years since last trip.

10 years since last trip.

Old Dec 24th 2015, 7:02 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: 10 years since last trip.

They should know what dry ginger ale is TBH. Rye and dry is a usual mix.

Perhaps it is the iccent
Old Dec 24th 2015, 9:43 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
They should know what dry ginger ale is TBH. Rye and dry is a usual mix.

Perhaps it is the iccent
Yeah, they do seem to have problems in north Wales underatanding Cockney Get a bottle from the supermarket, drink the contents then produce the empty bottle and point to it! Worked in spain when I couldn't pronounce the name of the beer, used to have a pic on my phone that I would wave at them!
Old Dec 25th 2015, 8:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Been here over 4 weeks now and some interesting aspects I've noticed. The main one being I think there is a far greater variation on the socio economic front between people here. Which on one hand leads to far more choice at different levels, but on the other leads to more "boxing" of people. I actually dont have a clue as to where I fit in all of this at present lol. I'm going everywhere.... Getting more stares down the cheaper end of things, which is unfortunate. Pubs I'm talking mostly on this one.

Some of the things that are comparitvely far more expensive are a suprise as well.

Bought 8 small slices of meat .... 7 bucks, they were really good I must add. Yet beer is less than half the price.
Old Dec 26th 2015, 11:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Been here over 4 weeks now and some interesting aspects I've noticed. The main one being I think there is a far greater variation on the socio economic front between people here. Which on one hand leads to far more choice at different levels, but on the other leads to more "boxing" of people. I actually dont have a clue as to where I fit in all of this at present lol. I'm going everywhere.... Getting more stares down the cheaper end of things, which is unfortunate. Pubs I'm talking mostly on this one.

Some of the things that are comparitvely far more expensive are a suprise as well.

Bought 8 small slices of meat .... 7 bucks, they were really good I must add. Yet beer is less than half the price.
You would probably be paying half the price for beer where you are in comparison to London. How much is a pint?
Old Dec 27th 2015, 8:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting thoughts: is it partly the case you are a city boy (London and Melbourne) in rural coastal Wales? UK tends to notice outsiders. You're from out of town.
Old Dec 27th 2015, 8:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Yes probably.... although my touring starts in a couple of days.... Bonsall.... MKeynes, London (although the only offer I've got there of accom is with an old GF and I haven't told the wife yet) So London may not happen.... then Devon.... then back up here to Rhyl.

Grayling is near Bonsall isn't he ?
Old Dec 27th 2015, 8:45 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Grayling is near Bonsall isn't he ?
Used to be....in Cambridgeshire now.

BTW most pubs in London are probably cheaper than round here......this is a pretty expensive area.
Old Dec 27th 2015, 8:46 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
UK tends to notice outsiders. You're from out of town.
Just like Australians then
Old Dec 28th 2015, 11:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well now I know why UK people love their Nespresso machines so much.

I'm actually at the stage now, where one of my first thoughts of the day is where to find a decent cup of coffee..... I've tried a few... forget pubs they are terrible for coffee, I mean the instant Carte Noire stuff I bought in the supermarket, is better than pubs version of Ground Coffee... and I think people are deluding themselves on the coffee shops I've seen in Rhyl, if they think they are better than Costa... So sadly Costa has won the award as the best Coffee I've had so far. I will definitely be after a decent one now, because withdrawals has well and truly sunk in. I'd be suprised if there isn't a good one in MKeynes.

Dont get me wrong I was pleased to see the indpendent coffee shops here... It's just the people working in erm dont know what they are doing with the equipment and it's coming out bitter and weak... which really defeats the purpose.

They obviously give the Costa people proper training.
Old Dec 28th 2015, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Well now I know why UK people love their Nespresso machines so much.

I'm actually at the stage now, where one of my first thoughts of the day is where to find a decent cup of coffee..... I've tried a few... forget pubs they are terrible for coffee, I mean the instant Carte Noire stuff I bought in the supermarket, is better than pubs version of Ground Coffee... and I think people are deluding themselves on the coffee shops I've seen in Rhyl, if they think they are better than Costa... So sadly Costa has won the award as the best Coffee I've had so far. I will definitely be after a decent one now, because withdrawals has well and truly sunk in. I'd be suprised if there isn't a good one in MKeynes.

Dont get me wrong I was pleased to see the indpendent coffee shops here... It's just the people working in erm dont know what they are doing with the equipment and it's coming out bitter and weak... which really defeats the purpose.

They obviously give the Costa people proper training.
I think it very much depends. I find a particular Coffee One (run by an Aussie that should know better but is clueless) absolutely appalling. Yet another in my sister's town is great. I have a friend in Glastonbury who says the coffee in his Costa is swill, yet raves about it in my town (i don't agree, they're both shite IMO).

I was recently in Tenby for Ironman Wales, I had one the best coffees I've had in the UK there and in another shop, one of the worst, both from independents.

In the 6yrs we've been here, I've seen generally, the quality of coffee improve quite a bit.

I lived in Colombia for a year and learnt a fair bit about a good and bad cup.

The main issue in Oz is shops and distributors that keep imported beans for mths, rather than weeks (due to cost) which can result in a bitter experience. The main issue in the UK is the public generally don't have a clue what is a cup or a bad cup and shops get away with serving a bucket of frothy milk and the numptys think that is 'good value'.

The nicest cup I've had in a while was from Greco in SF but that gets expensive!
Old Jan 4th 2016, 11:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Used to be....in Cambridgeshire now.

BTW most pubs in London are probably cheaper than round here......this is a pretty expensive area.
Money,money,money in a rich man's world Sandown and Newbury are obviously paying off better than Doomben and Eagle Farm were !
Old Jan 4th 2016, 12:07 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by bobbyftm
Money,money,money in a rich man's world Sandown and Newbury are obviously paying off better than Doomben and Eagle Farm were !
Only takes me 20 minutes to get to Newmarket
Old Jan 4th 2016, 1:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Beoz
You would probably be paying half the price for beer where you are in comparison to London. How much is a pint?

I paid one pound 50p whilst I was watching the football in a place called bar bow in Rhyl. Just a special whilst the football was on.

Looking forwards to getting back to Melbourne....nothing like your own space and bed.

Not sure what to say about my impressions of the UK at this stage.... I've been around a bit now. I definitely feel like an outsider, but that's understandable after 35 years. I think I feel sorry for people here....but that could well be misguided. I really don't like the crowded nature of the place, so I've amended my retirement plans just on that basis. Life seems harder here to me. There again it is winter and it has rained a lot..... I've seen a lot of hunched shoulders under hoods and that's an impression that will probably last and a signature to my trip this time around.

I've enjoyed a lot of the banter, especially around football and in pubs... that's definitely a place where I've relived and enjoyed the association to my past...... but it's not enough unfortunately. There are plenty of friendly people around, but there seems to be a higher suspicion rate combined with what i think is unhealthy cynicism, in that alone there is a massive difference between people here and in Aus. for me it's probably the major glaring difference. It's like a case of one strike and your out in the UK...you can probably be given the benefit of the doubt far far longer in Aus.

Couple of more weeks to go.... My father is doing really well, so thats a blessing.
Old Jan 5th 2016, 5:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Almo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud of

Coffee has come a long way but has a long way to go! Bigger cities probably have better options although still plenty of bad cups around. Although people are very into takeaway coffees it still isn't quite the art form it's considered in Melbourne. I'm not a coffee drinker so don't miss that at all but I miss Melbourne breakfasts hugely, and my OH misses the coffee to go with them.

You have unfortunately witnessed the UK winter at it's worst - miserable, never ending rain. Next week is apparently supposed to be colder and hopefully that will bring respite from the rain. I think you have to go a long way to beat one of those beautiful freezing cold but bright sunshine days you get in a UK winter, they're just sadly not frequent enough. I have a photo of Boxing Day last year in a place not too far from Wrexham with a blanket of snow. Not much chance of that this year.

Glad to hear your father is doing well and you got your sick leave.
Old Jan 6th 2016, 1:58 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz

Just got back from a month in the UK myself. Drinking mostly in Dorset and Somerset, and a pint of decent beer or cider was about £3. Sharps Doom Bar is an exceptionally good beer from Cornwall. Very nice indeed.

S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.