Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

10 years since last trip.

10 years since last trip.

Old Jan 28th 2016, 8:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 10 years since last trip.

Originally Posted by Beoz
How often have you been to other parts of Europe in winter? I can name a number of areas in Europe that receive a good deal of sunshine in winter in conjunction with good precipitation. The UK on the other hand does tend to have a constant overcast and drizzle for the long winter. Wow that's a bit of a broad weeping statement. Where are we talking? Brisbane again? You know, there are plenty of people in Australia who get a good helping of sunshine without getting skin cancer. I bet you didn't know that a lack of sunshine which leads to vitamin D deficiencies also leads to the development of prostate and breast cancer.
All I'm saying is that Brits are obsessed with weather and that's a fact. I've lived in plenty of countries (even Europe) and people do not moan like the British and get on with it. It's fact that Milan Italy doesn't get much more sun than Birmingham from November-Jan and it also rains.
Yes, I know that some parts of Europe get more sun and that's the great thing about Europe, because it's easy to travel. When people mention the UK, they seem to forget that it's not that small and different areas have different weather.

Be it Germany, France, Netherlands, Austria, Belgium, Sweden, Finland, Norway, Denmark etc. most people see just as much grey skies and it can be colder than the UK. Talking about Vitamin D, you can eat fish.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 9:00 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Sorry about the massive text block. It always does that from my work PC (bloody Windows )
You may need to check within your BE profile and alter it to Standard Editor from WYSIWYG
Old Jan 28th 2016, 9:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Weather can affect the smile on the mush too. What is Seasonal Affective Disorder/Winter Depression?
People are depressed about everything these days, because people are people. SAD and lack of vitamin D is another hype to make money. In very hot countries, people actually get less sun than many people in the UK. One example is Spain and the working hours are so long that you can hardly get out and in summer it's so hot that you're stuck inside.

There's always something to find, but quality of life is different for all of us. If I really have a problem with winter depression, maybe a home sauna, hot tub, or infrared lamp will help.

Having a hobby and getting out more can also help.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 9:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
People are depressed about everything these days, because people are people. SAD and lack of vitamin D is another hype to make money. In very hot countries, people actually get less sun than many people in the UK. One example is Spain and the working hours are so long that you can hardly get out and in summer it's so hot that you're stuck inside.

There's always something to find, but quality of life is different for all of us. If I really have a problem with winter depression, maybe a home sauna, hot tub, or infrared lamp will help.

Yep. Agree on all that but lets be honest, winter in the UK depresses a lot of people rightly or wrongly. You only have to see the sudden urgency of people wanting to move to Brisbane (god only knows why) on BE to see that January has melted a few brains.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 11:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I can see getting those items would be a viable and feasible possibility cost and spacewise for 60 to 75 pct of people in Aus..... I'd say 60 to 75 pct of People in the UK couldn't afford it and almost certainly wouldn't have space to put it. Thats the UK I saw this time around anyway.... Well maybe the infrared lamp they could. Not much room for Hot tubs and Saunas in 1 bed or 2 bed flats.

Having a hobby could work though....good idea.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 11:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yep. Agree on all that but lets be honest, winter in the UK depresses a lot of people rightly or wrongly. You only have to see the sudden urgency of people wanting to move to Brisbane (god only knows why) on BE to see that January has melted a few brains.
I agree that winter depresses a lot of people in the UK, but just wanted to say that it's not worse than many other places in Northern Europe and they seem to be ahead of us in many ways.

You're right with the urgency after Christmas:-) and it's the same in the Spain section. Weather seems to be the main focus for Brits and they think it will solve all their problems. Brisbane can work for some people, but so many people don't want to believe that you get more rain than London

Some might give up a nice home, good job in the UK and believe everybody in Australia is wealthy and lives like a king.Of course it might work for some, but Australia is not as easy as some people think and sometimes it really is better to improve quality of life in the UK, before spending thousands and moving to the other side of the world.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 11:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I can see getting those items would be a viable and feasible possibility cost and spacewise for 60 to 75 pct of people in Aus..... I'd say 60 to 75 pct of People in the UK couldn't afford it and almost certainly wouldn't have space to put it. Thats the UK I saw this time around anyway.... Well maybe the infrared lamp they could. Not much room for Hot tubs and Saunas in 1 bed or 2 bed flats. Having a hobby could work though....good idea.
You're probably right with the space in cities, but if you really are willing to change something, there are opportunities in the UK. I don't know the figures, but I would actually say that far more people in the UK have homes with gardens, compared to lets say Germany.

I'm in Ireland and space is obviously not the issue here, but plenty of people have the space and don't use it. I'm not rich, but it wasn't expensive to build a covered terrace and now I'm planning a covered bbq area with tropical features. A terrace heater for the winter doesn't cost that much either.

Even in Finland, I've seen 1 bed apartments with a small sauna, so it's all about creativity. I don't find the British winters more depressing than other places in Europe, but people just like to moan.

When retired, I wouldn't mind spending winter in Spain and staying in Ireland for the spring/summer, but it really doesn't bother me too much that it's winter and there's still plenty to do if you want to.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 11:45 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I can see getting those items would be a viable and feasible possibility cost and spacewise for 60 to 75 pct of people in Aus..... I'd say 60 to 75 pct of People in the UK couldn't afford it and almost certainly wouldn't have space to put it. Thats the UK I saw this time around anyway.... Well maybe the infrared lamp they could. Not much room for Hot tubs and Saunas in 1 bed or 2 bed flats.

Having a hobby could work though....good idea.
What do you mean coudn't afford it whereas those in Australia could

Where the hell did you visit?.....it is not a country I recognise.

In my observation, since I have been back, people are wealthier here than those I saw in Australia.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 12:11 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
What do you mean coudn't afford it whereas those in Australia could

Where the hell did you visit?.....it is not a country I recognise.

In my observation, since I have been back, people are wealthier here than those I saw in Australia.
I've been studying masters level macroeconomics for the last 3 years and what I have found is that Australia has higher per capita GDP (both nominal and PPP), HDI, Gini, life expectancy, disposable income etc than the UK. In just about every metric that is used to measure the wealth and well being of nations, Australia is ahead of the UK. This is not my opinion BTW but facts as defined by the UN, IMF, World Bank, EU etc

These stats are useful because they they are pretty dispassionate and personal experience has nothing to do with them. HDI, for instance, is a powerful measure of the livability of nations. Australia is ranked 2nd just behind Norway, UK is 14th - even NZ is higher

Your experiences may not agree with this and that's cool but the facts show otherwise

Hope this helps

Last edited by Amazulu; Jan 28th 2016 at 12:17 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 12:21 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I've been studying masters level macroeconomics for the last 3 years and what I have found is that Australia has higher per capita GDP (both nominal and PPP), HDI, GINI, life expectancy, disposable income etc than the UK. In just about every metric that is used to measure the wealth and well being of nations, Australia is ahead of the UK. This is not my opinion BTW but facts as defined by the UN, IMF, World Bank, EU etc

These stats are useful because they they are pretty dispassionate and personal experience has nothing to do with them. HDI, for instance, is a powerful measure of the livability of nations. Australia is ranked 2nd just behind Norway, UK is 14th - even NZ is higher

Your expeiences may not agree with this and that's cool but the facts show otherwise

Hope this helps
Wealth and poverty are relative....to try and claim that most people in the Uk are poor and that most in Australia are wealthy is simply nonsense.....it also Ignores the cost of living which is higher in Australia regardless of earnings.

Wealth is not evenly distributed in any society.

We get the message that Ozzie wants to live in Australia( although it sounds like he is trying to convince himself as much as anyone else) but to continuously big up Australia, and especially Melbourne, as some form of Utopia and the epitome of sophistication is over-egging the pudding a bit.

It takes more than a few poncey menus to make a city or country somewhere to aspire to live.

Last edited by Grayling; Jan 28th 2016 at 12:29 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 12:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I've been studying masters level macroeconomics for the last 3 years and what I have found is that Australia has higher per capita GDP (both nominal and PPP), HDI, GINI, life expectancy, disposable income etc than the UK. In just about every metric that is used to measure the wealth and well being of nations, Australia is ahead of the UK. This is not my opinion BTW but facts as defined by the UN, IMF, World Bank, EU etc These stats are useful because they they are pretty dispassionate and personal experience has nothing to do with them. HDI, for instance, is a powerful measure of the livability of nations. Australia is ranked 2nd just behind Norway, UK is 14th - even NZ is higher Your expeiences may not agree with this and that's cool but the facts show otherwise Hope this helps
These figures are very misleading and I don't see the point of measuring a nation and there always seems to be a new list. Just because a nation is classed wealthy, doesn't mean I will be wealthy and have a good life. Figures are figures and people are people. We all have different opinions and views, so it's basically pointless. If Singapore tops the list, doesn't mean I'll have a better life in Singapore.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 1:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Grayling
Wealth and poverty are relative....to try and claim that most people in the Uk are poor and that most in Australia are wealthy is simply nonsense.....it also Ignores the cost of living which is higher in Australia regardless of earnings. Wealth is not evenly distributed in any society. We get the message that Ozzie wants to live in Australia( although it sounds like he is trying to convince himself as much as anyone else) but to continuously big up Australia, and especially Melbourne, as some form of Utopia and the epitome of sophistication is over-egging the pudding a bit. It takes more than a few poncey menus to make a city or country somewhere to aspire to live.
Totally agree. These lists are actually a big problem and probably another reason why people want to move to Australia.

Some people might have a great life in the UK, but now there's a list telling them that everything is better elsewhere .

One example:Maybe I'm happy in a small village in the UK, have an easy commute to work (not a huge wage), a small house with garden near the coast, low mortgage, can afford holidays in Europe and enjoy going to premier league matches.

Now I'm in Sydney with a better paid job (hate the boss), can't afford a car, can't afford a house, can't go on holidays, hate the heat and can't go to premier league matches.

Of course you could turn it around, but these lists are rubbish.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 7:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that winter depresses a lot of people in the UK, but just wanted to say that it's not worse than many other places in Northern Europe and they seem to be ahead of us in many ways.

You're right with the urgency after Christmas:-) and it's the same in the Spain section. Weather seems to be the main focus for Brits and they think it will solve all their problems. Brisbane can work for some people, but so many people don't want to believe that you get more rain than London

Some might give up a nice home, good job in the UK and believe everybody in Australia is wealthy and lives like a king.Of course it might work for some, but Australia is not as easy as some people think and sometimes it really is better to improve quality of life in the UK, before spending thousands and moving to the other side of the world.
Again that's the problem with the UK winters. There's not enough precipitation nor cold enough to make it a proper winter. Its jusy always overcast and bleak and cold enough to be annoying but not cold enough to snow.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 9:19 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Never bothered me or stopped me doing my thing. Just saying .....

All in the eyes of each of the beholders I suppose & their particular slant on whatever it is.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 9:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Don't get the obsession with heat and sun. Sun at 20c is pleasant. Sun at 30 not so. Brisbane today is wet and stormy but uv is 14. First thing I will do on arrival is cover up. As for sun over 35 simply hell. Yet on these forums you will get people saying they want that climate for bricklaying etc !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.