Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The $21 Challenge......

The $21 Challenge......

Old Oct 17th 2009, 10:48 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The $21 Challenge......

Originally Posted by Amazulu
But what a shit life.
True, we prefer obesity to boredom. Another cheap way to eat is to get good at fishing.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emelems
zero point.. that the point, the fact that it contains no points...

Em x
This may sounds like a dozy question, but how do you make egg white omelettes here anyway? In Canada, they sell plain pasteurized egg white in cartons (like whipping cream-sized cartons). I've only seen eggs here. Do people really crack eggs and toss out all those yolks?

Not that I'm craving an egg white omelette...ha.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiels
The book says its not meant to be a permanent thing just maybe a once a month thing!! Good Job!!

TBH from what Ive read so far it wants you to use a lot of stuff that you may already have in your cupboards and fridge/freezer.

It wants you to plan ahead, see what you have and meal plan around that and top up with what you need.

Its just called the $21 challenge but you can spend more and it seems the theory is any sort of saving is a bonus!

Whether I will be brave enough to try it who knows! Maybe I'll go shopping and stock up first!!
There was a family of 4 in Canada in the newspaper who were profiled because they were eating "well" and healthily on something like $250 Cdn a month (Aussie $ is about 0.95 Cdn). But they ate very little meat, lots of vegetable soups (they had their own garden), lentils, baked their own bread. I think some of the ideas are good to adapt and use but I couldn't start serving lentil and veggie stew here daily or I'd have a riot on my hands.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 10:04 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Japonica
This may sounds like a dozy question, but how do you make egg white omelettes here anyway? In Canada, they sell plain pasteurized egg white in cartons (like whipping cream-sized cartons). I've only seen eggs here. Do people really crack eggs and toss out all those yolks?

Not that I'm craving an egg white omelette...ha.
Apparently you do throw out the yolk (1.5 points) and keep the white (zero point)... you do 2 sprays with the oil spray can into the frying pan.. you then chop up lots of mushrooms or other zero point veg and lots of herbs, fry the veggies and then whisk up the egg whites.. add to the pan and cook then add the herbs and WHAM! you have a no point egg white omlette.. for the entire WW zero point experience, one should parboil BNS (short for butternut squash).. cut into wedges.. and then bake like chips... omelette and chips for no points...

Alternatively you can just do what normal people do and eat a proper dinner made with proper ingredients

Em x
Old Oct 18th 2009, 12:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

keep the white (zero point)... you do 2 sprays with the oil spray can into the frying pan.. you then chop up lots of mushrooms or other zero point veg and lots of herbs, fry the veggies and then whisk up the egg whites.. add to the pan and cook then add the herbs and WHAM! you have a ..
meringue with mushrooms and herbs in it?

</IMG>
Old Oct 18th 2009, 12:40 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
meringue with mushrooms and herbs in it?

</IMG>
Not quite, meringue has sugar in it but whatever, it sounds revolting.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 8:51 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Not quite, meringue has sugar in it but whatever, it sounds revolting.
It looks and tastes pretty much as it sounds, so I have been told...

Em x
Old Oct 18th 2009, 9:49 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

It looks and tastes pretty much as it sounds, so I have been told...

Em x
Why on earth would you want to throw out the yolk?
Old Oct 18th 2009, 2:25 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burbage
Why on earth would you want to throw out the yolk?
Because that's where the calories are apparently. Load of twaddle in my ever so humble opinion.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 3:03 pm
Demi-God

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Because that's where the calories are apparently. Load of twaddle in my ever so humble opinion.
I'm not following this at all. You want to live off 21$ a week and eat no calories?
Old Oct 18th 2009, 3:15 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by Burbage
I'm not following this at all. You want to live off 21$ a week and eat no calories?
Don't look at me, nothing to do with me. I eat proper food and probably spend a bit more than $21 in the process. Don't do diets, food is meant to be eaten as it comes. If we were supposed to only eat the white bits of eggs, chickens wouldn't produce the yellow bits now would they
Old Oct 18th 2009, 5:50 pm
Account Closed

was just pondering on the ridiculousness of some dieting and things people do...

Em x
Old Oct 19th 2009, 12:38 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

A woman I used to work with was a client of Dr Bernstein in Toronto. Her breakfast was 1 egg white made into an omlette and black coffee (no sugar). Lunch was 2 lettuce leaves, 1 slice of deli ham and 1/2 cup fat free milk. Dinner 3 oz poached fish with 1/2 cup steamed green beans and 1/2 cup non fat milk. No fruit was allowed and she had to go 3x weekly to have vitamin injections. All that cost her about $200 weekly because it was "medically supervised".
Old Oct 19th 2009, 12:47 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Have you seen that diet food they sell in pharmacies here, B L and dinner comes in a sachet, you add water to powdered starch and chemicals and its a beef and veg curry or apple strogonoff..... Couple of ladies at work were on it, tried a bite of a apple bar, was sweet, sweet, tingling taste chemical after burn, strange sensation in mouth with the taste you get if youve just been sick

I'm like erm yeah thats nice
Ive seen those diets in the chemist and I always notice them when I am buying chocolate or something.

'Betty Baxter' I think its called, and I am occasionally met with a horrified glance when I buy my sugar fix. Even better when I am in there with period pain and I am buying chocolate, painkillers and a can of red bull and its always next to the Betty Baxter stand.

Betty Baxter Schmaxter - Ill stick to the chocolate!
Old Oct 19th 2009, 1:30 am

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
A woman I used to work with was a client of Dr Bernstein in Toronto. Her breakfast was 1 egg white made into an omlette and black coffee (no sugar). Lunch was 2 lettuce leaves, 1 slice of deli ham and 1/2 cup fat free milk. Dinner 3 oz poached fish with 1/2 cup steamed green beans and 1/2 cup non fat milk. No fruit was allowed and she had to go 3x weekly to have vitamin injections. All that cost her about $200 weekly because it was "medically supervised".
When I hear stories like that, I recall that Dr. Atkins (of the no-carb diet fame) has died a seriously ill man. Which is a bit ironic if you ask me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.