Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The $21 Challenge......

The $21 Challenge......

Old Oct 16th 2009, 10:25 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute
Default The $21 Challenge......

Anyone tried it??? www.simplesavings.com.au

Just got the book yesterday.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 11:01 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The $21 Challenge......

After seeing it being shamelesly plugged on Today Tonight I wouldn't bother.

I think when the nutritionist looked at the diet plan she wasn't impressed and said.....'hmmm, I probably would've bought some fruit and vegetables!'

I fail to see how a family of 4 could be properly and healthily fed on $21 a week.

On the show they hid away a lot of the details but it did look like the family of 4 was having one of those Old El Paso dinner kits for dinner between them. I know I'd be ravenous after just 2 small tacos!
Old Oct 17th 2009, 12:17 am
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
...On the show they hid away a lot of the details...
Because they don't want to give away all their 'secrets' and want everyone to buy their book!
Old Oct 17th 2009, 12:45 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by shiels
Anyone tried it??? www.simplesavings.com.au

Just got the book yesterday.
So what did they get for $21 then ?

Let's see what could I get today at the shops...

$ 3.80 Milk 2 x 2 litres
$10.00 Steak 1 kg Economy Rump Steak (7 x 142gm portions)
$ 2.40 Bread 2 standard white loaves
$ 2.70 Eggs 12 x 700gm eggs
$ 0.70 Carrots 1 kg carrots to snack on
$ 1.10 Margerine 250 gm tub marg
$20.70 Total
Survival I suppose, maybe... on steak and carrot dinners or egg sandwiches.

Old Oct 17th 2009, 2:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
After seeing it being shamelesly plugged on Today Tonight I wouldn't bother.

I think when the nutritionist looked at the diet plan she wasn't impressed and said.....'hmmm, I probably would've bought some fruit and vegetables!'

I fail to see how a family of 4 could be properly and healthily fed on $21 a week.

On the show they hid away a lot of the details but it did look like the family of 4 was having one of those Old El Paso dinner kits for dinner between them. I know I'd be ravenous after just 2 small tacos!

I find these claims amusing, as anyone with teen boys would We spend more than 21 a week on milk, cheapest milk you can buy I might add.

As you say nutritional guidelines seem to be thrown to the wind to come up with these silly figures.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 2:52 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

You can easily live on a couple of eggs a day.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 3:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

2 Slice of white loaf with home brand jam for bfast = 2.50 week

cup a soup x 7 for lunch + 1.75 week

dinner 19c homebrand noodles X 7 1.40 week

Bag of carrots 99 cents for snacks

voila

Under $7 a week per person, however this diet comes with a warning you may be dead in a year if you try it
Old Oct 17th 2009, 3:19 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jad n rich
2 Slice of white loaf with home brand jam for bfast = 2.50 week

cup a soup x 7 for lunch + 1.75 week

dinner 19c homebrand noodles X 7 1.40 week

Bag of carrots 99 cents for snacks

voila

Under $7 a week per person, however this diet comes with a warning you may be dead in a year if you try it
Sounds like my menu planner when I used to Weightwatcher a few years back.. I could probably point that lot too for ya if you like!

Em x
Old Oct 17th 2009, 3:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by emelems
Sounds like my menu planner when I used to Weightwatcher a few years back.. I could probably point that lot too for ya if you like!

Em x

Have you seen that diet food they sell in pharmacies here, B L and dinner comes in a sachet, you add water to powdered starch and chemicals and its a beef and veg curry or apple strogonoff..... Couple of ladies at work were on it, tried a bite of a apple bar, was sweet, sweet, tingling taste chemical after burn, strange sensation in mouth with the taste you get if youve just been sick

I'm like erm yeah thats nice
Old Oct 17th 2009, 3:59 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Have you seen that diet food they sell in pharmacies here, B L and dinner comes in a sachet, you add water to powdered starch and chemicals and its a beef and veg curry or apple strogonoff..... Couple of ladies at work were on it, tried a bite of a apple bar, was sweet, sweet, tingling taste chemical after burn, strange sensation in mouth with the taste you get if youve just been sick

I'm like erm yeah thats nice
that is worrying! Pointing food is a nice idea and all that, but frankly, I would start the day by minusing off 8 points from my daily total so that I had that on "standby" for my bottle of wine in the evening.. then I could have a tube of smarties for my lunch (only 3.5 points) if I skipped eating anything else.. and don't even get me started on egg white omlettes for zero points.. personally I would rather give up the will to live..

Ironically I was a size 8, weighed hardly anything when I got to "goal".. of course I got every cold virus that was going around, and would skip meals in order to save up for the evening.. (when I would then list a load of half a point food items that I kept biting into.. handful of wafer thin ham, morsel of sausage from the fridge.. a laughing cow triangle extra light.. blah blah blah)..

I was probably the most unheathily weightwatcher dieter out there and I am not even going to consider thinking how much I spent money wise either

These days? weeeell.. I am just a bit too long in the tooth to worry about how many calories etc... I just try and do a bit of exercise and eat wholesome foods..

Em x
Old Oct 17th 2009, 4:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Pointing food is a nice idea and all that, but frankly, I would start the day by minusing off 8 points from my daily total so that I had that on "standby" for my bottle of wine in the evening..

Em x

PMSL
Old Oct 17th 2009, 8:21 am
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

The book says its not meant to be a permanent thing just maybe a once a month thing!! Good Job!!

TBH from what Ive read so far it wants you to use a lot of stuff that you may already have in your cupboards and fridge/freezer.

It wants you to plan ahead, see what you have and meal plan around that and top up with what you need.

Its just called the $21 challenge but you can spend more and it seems the theory is any sort of saving is a bonus!

Whether I will be brave enough to try it who knows! Maybe I'll go shopping and stock up first!!
Old Oct 17th 2009, 9:02 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

and don't even get me started on egg white omlettes for zero points.. personally I would rather give up the will to live..

Em x
I've never tried an egg white omlette. Mainly because it sounds vomit inducing. There can't be anything to it, what's the point
Old Oct 17th 2009, 9:15 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I've never tried an egg white omlette. Mainly because it sounds vomit inducing. There can't be anything to it, what's the point
zero point.. that the point, the fact that it contains no points...

Em x
Old Oct 17th 2009, 12:00 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burbage
You can easily live on a couple of eggs a day.
But what a shit life.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.