Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

What to expect to pay for 2nd hand fridge...

What to expect to pay for 2nd hand fridge...

Old Oct 16th 2010, 12:43 am
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all
Default What to expect to pay for 2nd hand fridge...

I'm in the market for one but I have no idea what a good price is. I've looked at almost new, plain vanilla, top freezer/bottom fridge. Anyone have any idea? Don't want to spend more than $1000.00BB.
Old Oct 16th 2010, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

bamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nice
Default Re: What to expect to pay for 2nd hand fridge...

It is hard to say, because you don´t mention how big the fridge is, then you can check what the new value would be , and determine a reasonable price according to that.

However, there is a big BUT, over the years I have bought great second hand stuff at garage sales and auctions, white goods don´t get sold unless there is something wrong with them, and for that reason I would only buy from expats leaving the island, and preferably if you know them. And make certain they are bought local, cause if they have brought them in and something breaks down you often can´t get them fixed
Simply because of the new cost of these items, people don´t get rid of them for nothing.
My personal policy has been that whitegoods is the only thing I would buy new or HP and clear as fast as possible.
Because I have done the second hand thing and got bitten, my daughter recently bought a washing machine from an expat leaving, and it lasted her 6 months.
Sorry if it doesn´t sound very positive and maybe others hav different experiences, but be aware. You may be better off and in teh long run cheaper to buy new.
Good luck
Old Oct 16th 2010, 12:23 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

I think I have to agree with Bam... These days whitegoods don't last like they used to.. I replaced my fridge about 4 years ago.. it was, at that time 14years old. it's still working.. has some rust issued, but we gave it away and it's still in use, as far as I know.. having said that.. we have since replaced the 2nd fridge (a dude, purchased first hand from Courts) and now on the 2nd one, in 4 years.. this one seems fine, but. .already having issues with the inside temp.

I'd have to say.. go for the new fridge rather than a used one, if you can afford it. and go to Courts or Standard for it (I think DaCosta Mannings just over prices everything, but you could try them as well).
Old Oct 16th 2010, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

bamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nice

Mannings can have could offers at times, and X/mas time coming up, that time of year they bring in a lot of stuff and have generally good offers.

Be carefull by Courts for repossessed items, they put them in the store and you don´t even realise it not new.

Cave Shepherd at times can surprise with deals.

I have always found it wise to shop around for large items like that, it pays off.
Old Oct 16th 2010, 7:31 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Shopsmart - basic smaller style for couple was around $1100 when i looked
Old Oct 17th 2010, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

Cuchullain is an unknown quantity at this point

I know there is a place down on the highway near Kensington,( I can't think of the name right now!!)

They sell shop damaged good from courts etc. You can get a perfectly good new appliance at a knock down price. It might just have a scratch on the paint work etc. I think this is the best place to get these items.

If I remember the name I'll post it.
Old Oct 17th 2010, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

That sounds like a good adress to keep in mind.
Is that the Courts warehouse maybe?
Old Oct 26th 2010, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

bajan_red is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I'm selling a chest freezer - I appreciate this is not exactly what you were looking for but it is BB$400. Good luck with the fridge/freezer hunt, I would have thought Pricesmart is your best option new or look for expats leaving the island for good second-hand deals.