Time out in Barbados

Old Sep 27th 2009, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

P4TTY06 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Time out in Barbados

Hi everyone, I am new to this site, and i was amazed how friendly and helpful (well most) people on here are... so really hoping for a good response to my (i apologies in advice) million and 1 questions..

I am wanting to move to Barbados for about six months or so...in Feb/March..from the UK as I just truly love the Island (in fact i have only just returned from yet another break there)..I have been to Barbados a few times and even spent 2 months there on one occasion, so i think Barbados will be a great place to take some time out..

I am not Bajan myself.. but do have family friends who are Bajans and live in barbados.. whom i am yet to consult about my move..

I have read a number of posts on here already which i have found extremely useful, however i do have a few more questions that i would really appreciate if someone could answer..

Ive been looking at apartments to rent - but non states the min tenancy period, does anyone know?

I would love to have a car whilst out there, but to buy a car in Barbados is really really expensive, I'm considering shipping a car there, has anyone done that before? would a UK car be OK in Barbados with regards to the hot climate there compared to the UK?

I have a 3.5 year old that i hope can attend a school whilst there... i keep hearing of St Gabriel's and St Wilifred which i understand are great private schools.. Does anyone know of the current fees? and whether i can begin the process of getting my child into a school from here?

Lastly... is there anything i can do work wise whilst in barbados? I work in IT as a QA Test Analyst... any such work in Barbados? are there many IT jobs in Barbados...? T
though i understand that i will require a work permit, it would be good to know that if i stayed longer then planned, and got the required documents there could potentially be some sort of work (within the same field) that i could do...

Thanks very much

Look forward to your responses..

Patty.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 10:02 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Time out in Barbados

Hi Patty and welcome

Due to the credit crunch there is good and bad news for you. Re the accomodation at the time of World cup Cricket it was a landlords market but now its definitley the tenants time to negotiate. I would approach any option for renting with that in mind. Now the bad news - due to the same uncertainty working in Barbados now is probably the worst time to try it. Companies are now letting expats go as these companies are affected by the market world wide - its tough enough for local IT bajan graduates to get jobs coming out of UWI - add to that the fact that work permits are just not happening and you dont have the ideal time for looking for work.

Re cars - from what i heard you end up paying 110% of the value of your car (that the barbados value and cars are expensive there) in customs duty if you are not a returning national. I am not sure if this is actually true but i do know its an expensive option.

You will also have to consider if you can actually get 6 months or so - its a risk at the moment as the present government is re-organising their immigration policies and they are just an unknown quantity for everyone right now.

Sorry this info is not the normal positive stuff i would like to send you but its only fair to warn you of the realities and uncertainties at this present time
Old Sep 29th 2009, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

Serendipidy... Thank you so much for that.. a bit of an eye opener.. will certainly take on board all that youve said and investigate further... Not quite put off yet tho...

I do have to say, im not entirely surprised about the situation with regards to IT work in Barbados.. IT jobs are not exactly flourishing here in the UK either...

Work was only a consideration if i extended my planned 6months stay (thats if i can even stay up to that long)...

So what do the non-working expats do all day in Barbados? how easy is it to make friends with other expats?

From ONE Bajan point of view, i've been told that in order to become friends with (the majority of) other expats.. i am required to be quite wealthy so to keep up with the high profile lifestyle that they lead... how true is this..?

As im certainly not wealthy (yet).. and though i do not have a problem with mingling with the rich n famous, I cant really afford their life style...

Does anyone know the current school fees for St Gabriel's and St Wilifred schools?
Old Sep 29th 2009, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by P4TTY06
From ONE Bajan point of view, i've been told that in order to become friends with (the majority of) other expats.. i am required to be quite wealthy so to keep up with the high profile lifestyle that they lead... how true is this..?
That's total crap. I think there is a misconception here that all expats are wealthy. Some are and some aren't. In fact, I'd say the majority in my life are not wealthy. I'm not wealthy and people still like me
Old Sep 29th 2009, 9:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

P.S. sorry to mods if I'm not allowed to say "crap"....
Old Sep 29th 2009, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

Foxy..
I should hope people would still like you even though you are not wealthy and i hope the same for myself...
It was never a question of whether id be liked or not but rather are there people that are happy to hang out, jump on the local bus, eat at local places and do local inexpensive things..(actually dont know of anything thats cheap in Barbados)..

by all means i can make friends with someone wealthy but who just cant rough it a bit.. leads a certain life style, only eats at certain places - not because they are up themselves, but thats just their lifestyle.. all which i wouldnt be able to afford too regularly... now am i gonna free load..? NO... so thats what i meant by needing to be wealthy also...

But thanks for that Foxy,

Ill be sure to set that ONE Bajan straight about their wrong misconception... its music to my ears as im hoping meet and make friends with open n nice people, rich or poor... that i can relate with.

Patty
Old Sep 29th 2009, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

You know I was being sarcastic, right? That's what the rolling laughter icon was for

Of course people will like other people whether or not they are wealthy. My point is you have nothing to worry about. You'll be just fine. There are a ton of great people here, local and expat.

Yes Barbados is expensive in some ways, but in other ways it's not. When you find the less expensive things to do, it's great! Like going to the movies - that's super cheap in my opinion. It's much more expensive in Canada, so I love going to the movies here! And tons of affordable places to eat & drink.

Best of luck with your move.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that Foxy, really appreciate it...

But do you mind me asking what your situation is...? Are you full time in Barbados..?
Old Sep 29th 2009, 11:18 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by P4TTY06
S

Does anyone know the current school fees for St Gabriel's and St Wilifred schools?
without having the invoice in front of me St. Gabriel's is about 1450.00bbd per term for local.. and I have to apologize, I don't know the current rate for an expat.

http://www.stwinifredsschool.com/html/admission.html.. scroll down and you will find a PDF form for the school fees, based on class (age).

Also have a look at The Convent Schools as another option.. You don't have to be Catholic to have your child attend (I'm not and my 2 daughters go to secondary school at St. Ursula's) http://www.conventschoolsbarbados.co...page/Itemid,1/

Last edited by Sunniebgi; Sep 29th 2009 at 11:24 pm.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

Sunniebgi,

Thank you very much for that, very very helpful information indeed...

I would still like to put a question out to everyone... whilst in Barbados (and not working..:-((() can i expect to fill my days with exciting things, whilst my child is at school, or will i quickly get board with being a (not so wealthy) woman of leisure..?
Old Sep 30th 2009, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Foxy_fromCanada
That's total crap. I think there is a misconception here that all expats are wealthy. Some are and some aren't. In fact, I'd say the majority in my life are not wealthy. I'm not wealthy and people still like me
Hmmm, I am going to have to reevaluate my choice in friends!

Foxy is right, that is total crap...
Old Sep 30th 2009, 5:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough

I agree, I thought Foxy was loaded... Who knows how I can block her?

Patty - if your child is only 3 or 4 (was that what you said) then you can always put him/her in a preschool for the time you are here, they do not come under Ministry of Edcation rules. Much easier all round...
Old Sep 30th 2009, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ha ha ha!!! I tricked you all!

Hm, except now the cat's out of the bag, and here I am, friendless. Should have thought this one through!
Old Sep 30th 2009, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Foxy_fromCanada
Ha ha ha!!! I tricked you all!

Hm, except now the cat's out of the bag, and here I am, friendless. Should have thought this one through!

You've been keeping a cat in a bag

Talking of which, my cat is pregnant (say nothing!!!) so if anyone knows anyone wanting a kitten sometime in Dec then let me know...

And I am now confessing the dog count has also risen slightly...
Old Oct 1st 2009, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

@ Shines - ill look into that.. thanks

Im now clear on what to do whilst out there... fill my days with Sarcasm.. LOL... cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.