Time out in Barbados

Old Oct 10th 2009, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

P4TTY06 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Time out in Barbados

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi Re St. Gabriel's.. send an e-mail to [email
[email protected][/email] and see if they can e-mail (not sure they have it on the computer) or fax you a copy of the application. Get the ball rolling that way.
Thanks for that, ive just mailed them.. Do you by any chance know the term dates for this academic year in Barbados and when they break up for the summer (2010)?
Old Oct 10th 2009, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough

http://www.stgabrielsschool.org/

All the info you need will be on their web page...
Old Oct 12th 2009, 12:18 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

well that's good to see.. after a few years of begging, I see the website is basically up to date. Pictures are little out of date (but only a parent would know that).. ..
Old Oct 13th 2009, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

Seems like im back to the drawing board with regards to a school for my little one "...As St. Gabriel's does not yet have a nursery/Kindergarten, your child will be too young to enter St. Gabriel's in April 2010. His / her application can be placed on the waiting list for September 2010..."

The response from the (i must add) very help receptionist at St Gabriels school..

My child would be 4 by April - which is too young - Thought i read (on their website - i might add) that they take children from 4-11? but i guess what they mean is from the Sept after a child's 4th Birthday.. Oh dear.. Had my heart set on St Gabriels as well...

So to others - be advised!
Old Oct 13th 2009, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

expat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really nice

I've heard good things about Wills - not sure where you're going to be living

http://www.willsprimaryschool.com/
Old Oct 13th 2009, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by expat_wannabe07
I've heard good things about Wills - not sure where you're going to be living

http://www.willsprimaryschool.com/
Ill have a wee read.. thanks for that Expat
Old Oct 13th 2009, 9:32 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

4 in April would mean that your child would start at primary school in September. the year is September to September and wouldn't take a child mid year. So if your child is 3 turning 4, Sept 09 to Sept10, they are still in pre-school.

St. Angelas (which is part of The Convent School, accepts children from 3 years). At present they may be the only ones. if you are wanting to have your child placed as soon as you get here, you may want to try there.

as the secretary stated, St. Gabriel's is adding an intake class of 3 year olds to a pre-school program from September 2010. but.. there is a waiting list.

I don't think Wills has a pre-school either so that may not be a choice.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 11:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

when is your child turning 5?
Old Oct 16th 2009, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by shines
when is your child turning 5?
A: Not till 2011...

I am still looking for schools, I have E-mailed a few other schools (St Angelas, St Winifred, Wills) but none as yet got back to me.. Hoping to here from them soon.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by P4TTY06
A: Not till 2011...

I am still looking for schools, I have E-mailed a few other schools (St Angelas, St Winifred, Wills) but none as yet got back to me.. Hoping to here from them soon.
http://www.conventschoolsbarbados.com/

of the 3 above that you mention, only St. Angela's has a program already in place for 3 - 4 yr olds. April starts the 3rd term of the year and some schools may not accept a child in that term (some do but some do not).

I've understood that the computer system (and subsequently e-mail) had some issues over the summer months and only just got it back working properly a few weeks ago. I know they are getting e-mails, but have also understood there have been some issues with that as well.. just be patient, they will respond.

The school is on a half-term break Monday and Tuesday (the rest of the schools in Barbados have the entire week off). The Admin staff should be there (but as it's a short half term for them, they may not, or they may be working shortened hours).
Old Oct 18th 2009, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Your child will go into preschool in April 2010 so I would concentrate on getting a place in one of those, which area are you going to be living in?
Old Oct 18th 2009, 12:11 pm

totaly agree with Shines, but also look at the primary schools for Sept 2010..
Old Oct 19th 2009, 5:49 am
Just Joined

tfinteriors is an unknown quantity at this point

At the age of your child and for your length of stay I would consider a preschool that is not attached to one of the private schools. Our daughter went to St. Nicholas and absolutely loved it.
She is now going to Providence Elementary (they do have a preschool as well) and the fee is $2600 bds per term (for locals, sorry she was born here so I don't know the expat fee). Many people think this school is very pricey, but what they don't know is everything that is included. We don't have to purchase pencils, paper etc. (some workbooks for the older children are billed later) and all after school activities are included. There is no separate pick up and driving around to ballet or football. If your child does 2 activities a term you are looking at the same price that St. Winifred's charges (our son went there until high school) just to give you a comparison. You should see all the schools if you can and like others mentioned apply early. Each child has different needs and you will see what you like best in person. I did read from someone that you need to start in September, but that is not true. Contact the school to see if they have space and they will let you in any time of the year if they do. Sometimes it is worth picking up the phone and dealing in person rather than waiting for your email response. Life in the Caribbean takes time and often is not something to rush.
As for your personal enjoyment, you will get what you put into it. I learned to play tennis (I don't consider $25 bds a lesson expensive) and I know others that paint. There are scuba clubs, swim groups and bridge playing teams. Best to join the Canadian women's club to find out about toddlers groups if you are sending your preschooler only a few days a week and other ongoing activities. There are also things you can do with your child like parent and tot gymnastics.
Alternatively this is also a great time to fulfill not only your dreams of having fun in Barbados, but also a feel good opportunity to volunteer. The CWC and BWC are always looking for people to help out at the hospital and there are other things to help with all year round. When you live in a beautiful place like this it's so important to remember to give back what you can. Being wealthy is not necessarily about money, but your time is the greatest thing you can ever give.

Good luck!
Old Oct 19th 2009, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

tfinteriors, Thanks so much for your thread. it came at a great time actually... as i had just received an email from Wills - they are full to the brim, so was feeling a little dejected. Your thread did act as a little pick me up, i know there are a lot more options/schools to explore.. I also took your advice and called one of them today - St Angela's - The person i needed to speak with is not available till Wednesday..

Sunniebgi did say, they're on a short break at the mo.

Whats up with Providence Elementary though? - No telephone no. to call only, a email contact system in place..? hmmmm..

Ill continue to press on.. but seems that the schools that where on the top of my list are a No No for whatever reason... But ill keep my fingers crossed that ill soon get a 'Yes' from good school. Any More that anyone can recommend?

I ive explored the following:

St Gabriels - No pre school
Wills - No room at the inn
St Angela's - To call back Weds
Codrington - Awaiting reply to email - will call
St Nicholas - Awaiting reply to email - will call
St Winifred - Awaiting reply to email - will call
Providence Elementary - Awaiting reply to email - CANT call

Originally Posted by shines
Your child will go into preschool in April 2010 so I would concentrate on getting a place in one of those, which area are you going to be living in?
- We'll be staying in the West Coast Area.

Again thanks all for taken time out to share your knowledge & experiences or offer me advice...

like a sponge, im soaking it all in.

Have a great day.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 9:22 pm

St. Gab's, St. Winifred's, Wills, Codrington - have no pre-school.. but if interested in sept 2010, you need to talk to them and get an application in.
I'm guessing they are all already full for that year, but you can get on a waiting list.

St. Nicholas is only pre-school, you will still need to research primary schools

Can't tell you about Providence, didn't know they had a pre-school, but have a friend who is now teaching there.. will ask about the phone number.

Originally Posted by P4TTY06
I ive explored the following:

St Gabriels - No pre school
Wills - No room at the inn
St Angela's - To call back Weds
Codrington - Awaiting reply to email - will call
St Nicholas - Awaiting reply to email - will call
St Winifred - Awaiting reply to email - will call
Providence Elementary - Awaiting reply to email - CANT call

- We'll be staying in the West Coast Area.

Again thanks all for taken time out to share your knowledge & experiences or offer me advice...

like a sponge, im soaking it all in.

Have a great day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.