Things to do

Old Apr 26th 2009, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

birthdaygirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Things to do

I am moving to Barbados in December 09, I have 2 children 14 and 5 years old, I wanted to know what activities are available e.g Army cadets, sports (football) etc.

Thank you
Old Apr 27th 2009, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Things to do

Karate. It's a great activity for people of any age. I just started and I love it! It's a fantastic price, too ($30BBD per month).

Good luck.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 12:13 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

surfing, swim lessons, swim teams, football, gymnastics, cricket, music lessons, dance, art, horse riding, summer camps, school holiday camps, and the list could go on.

Many activities are offered within schools - sports, Boy Scouts, girl guides etc.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you both for your replies, could you please tell me if there is somewhere central that I could get the telephone numbers and addresses of these activities.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Have you tried the phone book? it sounds obvious, but those of us who are accustomed to doing everything online sometimes forget the phone book!

I'll look up the Shotokan number and get back to you. I'm not at home right now. Take care,
Foxy
Old Apr 27th 2009, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you, I thought their might be a central data base like in England you can get all the information from the Education service or youth service of all the local activities in that area.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

oh! haha, didn't realize that's what you meant.

Not that I'm aware of, but probably one of the moms could better comment on that.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 11:55 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by birthdaygirl
Thank you, I thought their might be a central data base like in England you can get all the information from the Education service or youth service of all the local activities in that area.
I almost had to pick myself off the floor when I read this.. If only there was such a thing.. (there you go girls, another venture we could put together).

The US Embassy, Canadian High Commission and the British High Commission all have CLO Officers - that's Community Liason Officer. Each of those places should have some type of list of those types of items on file.

Other wise, it is pretty much.. "do you know the person who does Football, and how do I get his number"..

David Porter "Piggy" is his nickname - Kickstar football - he is listed in the phone book.

Greg Castangne (spelling) is Pro-Shotta's - I'm pretty sure he is listed as well.

David Forde - Games Coach at St. Angelas School runs Camps and aftershool programs for swimming, badmitton among other things. I'm guessing the best place to reach him is through the school, but I may have a number for him

Barbados Amatuer Swim association would have the info on the different swim clubs on the island. They are listed and have a website, but not sure if they will respond to an e-mail.

Surfing - most if not all the surf school will be listed in the phone book

check out www.barbadoyp.com for yellowpages information.. Not 100pct sure if there are any white page listings..

There should also be a listing for the Boy Scouts and Sea Scouts programs

Allison Jackson for gymnastics - Flip Gym. I'll try to get her number for you.

Thats what I can do for now.. I'm sure there are others.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 11:38 pm
Forum Regular

Sunniebgi, once again thank you this is extremely helpful.

I think I am being a bit naive, I presume when I move to Barbados I will get a wake up call in terms of my expectations. However, if people post a few numbers and addresses I will compile a list for others to have, as it will be helpful for newbies moving to Barbados.
Old May 4th 2009, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

karibspices is an unknown quantity at this point

Sunniebgi, once again thank you this is extremely helpful.

I think I am being a bit naive, I presume when I move to Barbados I will get a wake up call in terms of my expectations. However, if people post a few numbers and addresses I will compile a list for others to have, as it will be helpful for newbies moving to Barbados.
Just my opinion, but... everyone's probably better off learning to use the Barbados phone book and going thru the process of getting information that way.

I think it's a good wake up call for how things can be in Bim and can build rapport with the folks you have to contact.
Old May 5th 2009, 12:22 am

The only problem with that suggestion, karibspice, is that many of those items are not listed in the phone book.. so unless you know who you are calling, you will never be able to find the number.

Flip Gym - Allison Jackson isn't listed. nothing listed under gymnastics in the yellowpages nor either football program, unless you know the coach.

The surf shops are listed, the i'm sure the boy scouts and girl guides are but..
Soo. yes the phone book is an excellant resource. but you still got to know who you are calling.
Old May 5th 2009, 10:34 am

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Rahhhhh lol you guys must have someone on the inside at lime to actually get ya phonebooks!!!! No matter how many times i have tried to acquire one i been told they are out of stock. The one I have is over 4 years old!!

Not that much changes in Barbados in 4 years (cept the cost of living!!)

Dips
Old May 6th 2009, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

karibspices is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi
The only problem with that suggestion, karibspice, is that many of those items are not listed in the phone book.. so unless you know who you are calling, you will never be able to find the number.

Flip Gym - Allison Jackson isn't listed. nothing listed under gymnastics in the yellowpages nor either football program, unless you know the coach.

The surf shops are listed, the i'm sure the boy scouts and girl guides are but..
Soo. yes the phone book is an excellant resource. but you still got to know who you are calling.
I agree, I sometimes forget what kind of messageboard this is. So sometimes my expectations are different.
Old May 13th 2009, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thank you both for your replies, could you please tell me if there is somewhere central that I could get the telephone numbers and addresses of these activities.
Sorry for the delay in getting this number for you: 228-1785.

I think there may be other locations, too. Check this site to be sure:
http://caribbeankaratecollege.com/Barbados.htm

There are all ages at the Karate classes, so if you have kids you could do it together.
Old May 13th 2009, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi all,

Foxy here again, singing the praises of Karate.

Just wanted to point out that for those of you who have kids, you and your child(ren) can do Karate together! That way, you don't have to worry about a babysitter etc. Just bring them along.

There are lots of kids at the classes I attend. I'm not sure if there is a minimum age, but if you are interested, just give them a call and see.