Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Social Worker looking for work in Barbados

Social Worker looking for work in Barbados

Old Aug 19th 2010, 10:18 pm
Just Joined

Hypnotic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Social Worker looking for work in Barbados

Hi, I am a qualified Social Worker and I'm looking to relocated to barbados in the near future.

Does anyone know of organizations in Barbados which employ Social Workers? My area in the UK is mainly adults with mental illness, but I do have experience in Child protection and Elderly also. Any information or contacts would be greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 1:30 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social Worker looking for work in Barbados

first question to you is.. are you a Barbadian national returning to Barbados, or do you have Barbados citizenship. this is important as you would not be allowed to work here with out either of those things, or a work permit. If you are a caricom citizen, this may help, but it depends on the type of professional degree, etc that you hold.

You may want to check directly with the Barbados Psychiatric hospital as they may be able to assist with your original question.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

I am in the process of applying for Citizenship, just wanted to do some research in the meantine as I know it may take a while if I am accepted. i hold a BA in Social Work.

Thanks for the tip!
Old Aug 26th 2010, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

Gravy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hypnotic
I am in the process of applying for Citizenship, just wanted to do some research in the meantine as I know it may take a while if I am accepted. i hold a BA in Social Work.

Thanks for the tip!
There are a number of government departments which employ social workers like the Probation Department and the Welfare Office. However government is not hiring a lot at the moment.
Call Personnel Admin and see if you can speak to the officer dealing with those departments and see if there are opportunities.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

vikki85 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are applying for citizenship you are able to work while the application is going through. You can apply for something called Riside and Work which allows you to live and work in Barbdaos whilst your citizenship is going through.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

That's a valuable piece of information.

Thanks Vicki
Old Sep 1st 2010, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

vikki85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

It is not a quick process. People I know who have appled for it said it took approx 6 months to come through, but once you have it you are free to stay/work here for 3 years (which is how long citizenship can take).