Sim cards with data

Old Aug 19th 2020, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

joboy50 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sim cards with data

Hi there
I'm going to Barbados at the end of September for one month and am looking to buy a sim card for my unlocked phone.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a network that offers sim cards with good amounts of data but without contract?

Thanks
Joe
Old Aug 20th 2020, 6:16 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sim cards with data

Its likely a lot more expensive than home [you havent said where that is] but you have a choice of digicel or flow, maybe theres a barbados local supplier too? check out their websites, or depending where you come from there may or not be cheaper local options from home if its only data you are after.

Incidentally, 3g data is less important often, almost everywhere has excellent wifi.
Old Aug 22nd 2020, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

joboy50 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your help!
Old Aug 29th 2020, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

Happyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond repute

I live most of the time in Barbados and use Whats App on my English phone --------------------Whats App is used a great deal in Barbados ,and Digicel for calling and texting etc. Digicel rates to the UK are very good if the person you are calling doesn't have Whats App.

I don't know where you are from, but I have always had two separate phones here, and I buy a cheap one in the UK for my Digicel card although I did buy an Acatel one here for it the other day for a reasonable price.
Old Aug 29th 2020, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

Happyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond reputeHappyowner has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I forgot to say you can easily buy data from Digicel without a contract.
Old Aug 29th 2020, 2:02 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

2 things to know, if your phone only has 1 sim slot, you can easily make it 3 or 4, look at simore.com - ive used one with an iphone for years and swap between uk grenada and trini sims.

If you dont mind a little techie stuff, get an account with a VOIP service provider in your home country. Whatsapp and similar apps are great but if you have to call a real number, whats cheapest? Well VOIP is the open protocol hiding behind 99% of digital phone calls. You get a VOIP softphone client app on your phone, and just like whatsapp your phone call goes over the web to your VOIP privider. They will run a global network of points of presence [pop’s] in the traditional phone world of PSTN [public switched telephone network.]

So if i call the US from Grenada, in truth my call goes over the web to my provider voipfone in the uk, they they route it to their pop in the states where it goes into the telephone network, for 1p a minute. If i call a grenada numbet the nearest pop is uk so i pay 17p/min, if i call the uk its just standard uk costs of 1-2p/min. And my calks apoear to originate in the uk to networks... The setup/service is free, you just pay for calls at a low providers rate, from pops in maybe 20 countries. Ask if you want further info but it really is the best solution.