Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Shipping cars from UK to Barbados

Shipping cars from UK to Barbados

Old Aug 31st 2020, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

Smudge51 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping cars from UK to Barbados

Hi all, has anyone any experience of shipping cars over from the UK to Barbados. Any info much appreciated.

Old Aug 31st 2020, 4:59 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping cars from UK to Barbados

Its often a bad idea.Its technically easy, any shipper can do it, but the subsequent issues include:

1, import duty and taxes are ridiculously high, not sure on specifics for barbados, ask the customs people, but in grenada - no cars allowed more than 10 years old, 10 year old car 160% of value, lowest is about 70`% for almost new. Of course the valuation is theirs, your invoice is not necessarily accepted. Cost of shipping 2000-3000us in a container, less if not containerised but can be more difficult to organise, and risk of damage is higher, and its a fortune to insure properly.

1.5 Do price vehicles locally, there are plenty of new and second hand cars availble, expensive by your standards probably, but maybe comparable and lower risk than importing. After all what use is the warranty on a car in a foreign country? Frankly the local dealers will not be interested.

2, Who will maintain the vehicle? Just because there is a nissan dealer, this does not mean that dealer will necessarily look at vehicles he did not sell, also that the model you have is not sold there. Even if it is, are parts maintained? Ever tried to import a windscreen? If you are doing it yourself ensure you have an excellent supply of breakable bits, a good shipper / supplier of the more exoric bits, and are prepared for the similar duties... What do locals buy - what is common - eg im betting there are loads of toyota saloons and suzuki vitaras around?

3, Actually is the vehicle suitable for a caribbean island? Many s ocalled tough vehicles die here within a year or two. Fords and BMW are among the worst, eg ford trucks are actually saloon cars with different bodies, auto gearboxes every 2-3 years? Vehicles actually made in japan [not ones from japanese companies in europe] are normally pretty good, and anything actually made in the tropics is a good sign, but be careful, for example toyota pickups in the states are poor, made in mexico for us highways really, the toyota hilux is made in south africa and is an excellent choice. Vehicles made in the EU are often paintwd with water based paints coated in thin ‘varnish’ to appease the green agenda, and as a result it pretty much falls off after a few years in our UV levels.
Old Aug 31st 2020, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

Jamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond repute

Get yourself a Honda CRV or similar. Forget pretty paintwork and fancy extras. You need an island car plain and simple.
Old Aug 31st 2020, 7:44 pm

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Jamesy - if its like here, the crv is reliable but the paint falls off, built in the uk till this year... Also a tad underpowered unless you get the 150hp - but of course barbados is pretty flat unlike here... toyota rav4 suzuki vitara [not the new tiddler made in eastern europe, the full fat japanese build, or the later indian variety] isuzu and toyota SA trucks, and toyota nything are the things here.
Old Sep 1st 2020, 7:37 am
Just Joined

Smudge51 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all, ok that's made my mind up. Will go for local purchase😎
Old Sep 1st 2020, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

Jamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
Jamesy - if its like here, the crv is reliable but the paint falls off, built in the uk till this year... Also a tad underpowered unless you get the 150hp - but of course barbados is pretty flat unlike here... toyota rav4 suzuki vitara [not the new tiddler made in eastern europe, the full fat japanese build, or the later indian variety] isuzu and toyota SA trucks, and toyota nything are the things here.
Yep, my 20 year old CRV looks like sh!t but goes and carries all our beach stuff and my paddleboard stuff. And Cayman is as flat as a bowling green so big HP means nothing. I would NEVER buy a decent car here. Too many awful drivers desperate to crash into something.
Old Sep 1st 2020, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by Jamesy5008
Yep, my 20 year old CRV looks like sh!t but goes and carries all our beach stuff and my paddleboard stuff. And Cayman is as flat as a bowling green so big HP means nothing. I would NEVER buy a decent car here. Too many awful drivers desperate to crash into something.
it may sound unlikely but here in Granada there is actually a thriving car customising scene. I suspect it’s something to do with our proximity to Trinidad. There are lots of places that will respray your car, and also a couple of places that can wrap it in vinyl, and allsorts of custom paint jobs and weird finishes are possible. The Labour is very cheap, and materials vary, but 1000 us can get a truck wrapped in chrome or Matt grey or whatever.