School Information

Old Jan 24th 2021, 8:05 am
Just Joined

Amewill is an unknown quantity at this point
Default School Information

Hello!

I have seen a few posts with some similar discussions so sorry for any repetition. We have visited Barbados and have made some incredible memories on the island.

We, like many others, are looking to take advantage of the one year welcome stamp initiative, and from there maybe make a more permanent move. We have 2 children currently in a private school setting in the UK and are hoping to find a school in Barbados for them. They are in a British school system at the moment and I wondered if there was anyone on here who had experience with the transition from a British school to an “International” school in Barbados. This is very new to me!

We are planning a visit early this year before our welcome stamp will start to visit some schools and long term rentals, but I would love to hear if anyone had any recommendations on particular schools or experience of their children transitioning. Our children our in year 4 and reception here in the UK (9 and 5 years old)

Would be very greatful for any info!

Thank you.
Old Jan 24th 2021, 12:38 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School Information

Hi.. and welcome. just want to clarify.. when you say.. International School in Barbados.. are you referring to placing the students in a Barbados Government/public school, or in a private school.. as a non-national you will pay for either one and while there is a different between what would be considered a Barbados private school and a few others that are more internationally run and don't follow the ministry of education curriculum, most specifically Codrington School, which follows an international bachelorette program

The system in Barbados follows the British System of education with a primary (your 5 year old , if not turning 6 before September 1, would be going into the 2nd year of primary, in some schools considered middles, or prep 2 etc..), your 9 yr old, if not turning 10 before September, would be going into class 3 or Junior 3) .

.. the system also uses an 11plus exam known as the Barbados Secondary Schools Entrance Examination to move between primary and secondary school. this is done, usually towards the end of their 10-11yrs old Class 4/J4 year. this also maybe changing as the Ministry of Education is trying to do away with this.. but has for any number of years.. so, not likely coming to a halt anytime soon (unless they completely surprise us.

Providence elementary is a private school, that does use the Curriculum but may have a bit different approach to some of their teaching. I'm not familiar with much of it , unfortunately.
Lockerbie College is also a possibility but.. again a different sort of education experience, although created and run by a Barbadian
Beyond the box is another.

My 3 children, 2 University Graduates and 1 in his freshman/1st year at university in Canada, attended St. Gabriel's Primary (private) which I will always highly recommend for it's teaching staff, may have a few naysayers at this moment for things that have apparently happened in the last few years (of which I am not privy to) , but... those , I understand are being worked on and an effort to "get back on track" is happening. (sounds ominous I know but..I still highly recommend the school). my daughters, for secondary, went to St. Ursulas Girls, which is part of the Ursuline Convent School. (private) and my son did his 1st form through 6th form at Queens College, government secondary school.
I wouldn't consider where your child goes to school, based on a where you live scenario, and at the moment, as just about anywhere, much of schooling is being done online. even for the younger students.

I hope this helps, so far.. and feel free to ask more questions.
Old Jan 24th 2021, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

Amewill is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you so much for your reply with all this information.

To clarify, yes we would be looking at private schools in Barbados, and I am not necessarily looking for a school near where we are looking at living.

I have looked at and been in touch Providence and St. Gabriel’s, I’m very greatful for you sharing your experience, thank you! Did your children start school in Barbados? I’m just wondering if there will be any obvious transitional issues going from a British to an International school (bar English vs. American spelling- I’m presuming that would be a thing?)

We too are “home learning” in England... I suspect it will carry on for a while yet!

Thanks for your reply

Old Jan 24th 2021, 7:24 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

My children where born here in Barbados. but I do know plenty of International students who came into St. Gabriel's as well as other private (and a few govt) schools on the island. The Barbados school system uses the English spellings so this is going to be the least of your worries. The biggest worry, might be understanding the accent, in some, but not all cases.

I can't speak for Providence but would assume the same. the only other issue might be what they are now being taught and what is being taught in their age group here. it's would be a good question to the heads of any school to know what they are getting into subject wise.