Which School?

Old Jul 3rd 2014, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

colmroughan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which School?

Hi

I recently took a quick trip to the island to assuage my concerns over moving and went to the Ursuline convent school to check it out as I have a 6 year old son who will be starting school on the island if we go ahead and move.

He has also been offered a place in St Gabriels and I'm wondering, does anyone know what the pros and cons are between the two and also which would come more highly recommended? Also, what would the boy:girl ratio be in either?

We are based in the USA at the moment and where we live is seen as having an amazing standard of education so we want to make sure that there is some continuity for him.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 4th 2014, 3:13 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which School?

all 3 of my children went to St. Gabriel's for Primary school and my daughters moved into St. Ursula's, which is the Girls Secondary of the Ursuline Convent School. We were very happy with St. Gabriel's and I'd recommend it to anyone. If you have a place secured, I'd recommend going ahead and securing the spot. I don't know how long you will be on living in Barbados, but St. Gabriel's results in the recently held 11plus exam (Barbados Secondary Schools Common Entrance Exam) take at 10/11yrs old were very good. The average was over 20 pct higher than the national average on the exam.

The primary education here is not going to be the same as the US, which is geared towards Maths and English. having said that.. St/ Gabriel's will give a good well rounded education.. Music, Physical Education, Art along with history (mostly Barbadian), social studies (Barbadian and Caribbean based) and Sciences are taught.
Old Jul 10th 2014, 6:03 pm
Just Joined

colmroughan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Which School?

Thanks Sunniebgi and sorry for taking so long to reply. We have followed up with St Gabriels and are awaiting a reply so fingers crossed.