Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Moving to the Caribbean & Setting up a business

Moving to the Caribbean & Setting up a business

Old Jul 10th 2014, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

danielboyle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to the Caribbean & Setting up a business

Hi All! I hope you dont mind the novice post!
My wife and I wish to re-locate to the Caribbean, we are thinking Barbados or Cayman. We have travelled a lot to many islands and its time for that lifestyle change.
We are open to the location, I guess I am keen to see what the easiest option is to make the move, and be able to work.
I have x2 businesses, I own a recording studio that I wish to bring with me and set up in rented accommodation until we buy. Alongside this I wish to set up a head hunting business, working into the American markets. This would just be me, with a view of growing a small team and hiring locals to help contribute to the local economy.
I know this is a long post and contains a lot of information, but I am just beginning this planning phase with a 1-2 year goal of realising it.
Can anyone help me with info/advice, who may have had a similar journey?
Old Jul 10th 2014, 7:56 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to the Caribbean & Setting up a business

Welcome Rolling Lion

Can I ask what status you have to reside on the island ie are you Bajan or married to one? With no status the only options are short term or work permits and a company would more probably have to sponsor you for that. There are other options dependant on how much money you would be able to prove you had but I dont think they enable you to work.

Barbados is the same as US/UK or America (if not harder cos its a tiny place) when it comes to getting residency or work permits so if you wouldn't be able to live in America doing what you want then then its unlikely to happen in Barbados. I am not sure about the Cayman part but I would suggest you place your thread in the other caribbean section as I know there are english people living in Cayman that can advise
Old Jul 10th 2014, 8:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Serendipidy View Post
Welcome Rolling Lion

Can I ask what status you have to reside on the island ie are you Bajan or married to one? With no status the only options are short term or work permits and a company would more probably have to sponsor you for that. There are other options dependant on how much money you would be able to prove you had but I dont think they enable you to work.

Barbados is the same as US/UK or America (if not harder cos its a tiny place) when it comes to getting residency or work permits so if you wouldn't be able to live in America doing what you want then then its unlikely to happen in Barbados. I am not sure about the Cayman part but I would suggest you place your thread in the other caribbean section as I know there are english people living in Cayman that can advise

No status both of us are British.
I shall post in the other threads. Hopefully I can work out a way that does not require sponsorship. I was hoping that by maybe trying to bring a small business to the location may help.
Old Jul 11th 2014, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on the island it can be very hard and unless you're creating jobs straight away, they won't consider it. You just have to apply for a visa like a tourist. If you own property they usually offer Home Owner Resident Cards, but this still doesn't guarantee you can stay.
Old Jul 11th 2014, 10:41 am

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

My personal experience is that the previous government supported foreign investment and supported new businesses from foreign entrepreneurs ..this encumbent government is not as supportive and is also having to deal with recession and financial issues that affected the world since my time..Barbados is an island of around 250,000 people so cannot take a lot of immigration without it having a major effect..I was recently in Cayman and that has a very different feel as was predominantly made up of foreigners working and investing there
Old Jul 13th 2014, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

Thanks. We are investigating a few islands. St lucia seems a possible as I have read you can by a work permit quite easily through official channels. I will put a post in the wider carrebean group.