Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

My 6 week trip - cost of living...

My 6 week trip - cost of living...

Old Mar 25th 2008, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

Stephanie_77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My 6 week trip - cost of living...

Was going to add to the other "Cost of living..." thread but didn't want this to get 'lost' so have started a new thread.

It's getting ever closer to my six week trip (starting in late July) and so I'm trying to figure out my budget now and get things booked

I've got the funds for my trip safely tucked away but I need to know how much of that I will end up spending/need to take ... and even whether I have enough!! Also need to work out if I can afford to generously take one of my son's friends for the first leg of our trip. My son is coming with me for the first 10 days-2 weeks, then heading back to the UK to spend the summer with his friends. His choice!

So ...

Accommodation: We will need a 2 bed apartment in Ch.Ch for the first 2 weeks -- then I can switch to a simple guesthouse when son goes back to UK. Any ideas? I stayed at the Dolphin Inn previously (£24 a night). If no one has any better suggestions, I'll give the lady there a call.

Laundry: As I'm not sure where I'll be staying, I'm not sure if I'll have a laundry service. Probably not since I'm on a tight budget and will therefore be staying in budget accommodation. So where are the local laundry facilities in Ch.Ch and how much will I spend per wash?

Food: I was only over in December but I've already forgotten how much I used to spend at the supermarket. This time, budget is quite a bit tighter due to my extended stay also so any tips on where to shop 'on the cheap' and how much I'm likely to spend each week would be really helpful!

Transport: Don't worry about that, I'm going to be using ZRs as I don't/can't drive How much is a taxi from say The Gap to Holetown though? I fancy a night out at The Piano Bar and reckon I'll need a taxi for the return trip...

Nights out: How much am I looking to spend in and around The Gap? Previously I've had either my husband (now ex!) hold the wallet, or local friends have been generous & taken me out. Obviously I'd like to return the favour now so what would one or two nights out a week cost me? Say at Mojos and McBrides etc ... Also, how much is the cinema at Sheraton??

Hmmm, anything else? Food, accommodation, drinking ...... think that about covers it but ANY tips/advice/suggestions would be very much appreciated at this point. Looking to book everything up in the next couple of weeks so I can sit back and start my countdown!!

Looking forward to meeting some of you when I'm over!

Stephanie
Old Mar 25th 2008, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

expat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really nice
Default Re: My 6 week trip - cost of living...

There are some apartments called "Camarima Flats" on Maxwell Coast Road (just off Maxwell Main Road) I've stayed there in the past, and some friends of mine stayed there last year - I think they paid $BBds 150 per night for a 2 bed apartment, but i understand he will do a deal for longer stays.

It's very basic, but spacious, fully equipped, with a kitchen (full size oven) and includes cable TV & phone. There are about a dozen apartments - mainly europeans & canadians staying there, very friendly vibe, safe & a nice quiet area. Couple of minutes walk from the beach, a small shop, hotels and a few bars and small restaurants. The owners name is Frank Pilgrim (266-1240).

Oh nearly forgot - they also have laundry facilities.

If you need to know any more - please feel free to email me at [email protected]
Old Mar 25th 2008, 3:47 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

hey steph

I got in from bados last week - not sure how long i gonna be in uk - shout me to catch up - text me on my mobile and i can give ya my lan line no
xxxx

Seren
Old Mar 25th 2008, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

Hello there honey! Cool cool. Will flick you an email from home tonight.

P.S. Leo's visit went really well - - will tell ya about it laters!
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 2:24 am
Forum Regular

tulipknife is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: My 6 week trip - cost of living...

You can check prices for the Supercentre supermarket online at supercentre.com just to refresh your memory.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

Thanks tulipknife. Handy link!

Right, I'm now coming over again at the end of April for a quick top-up visit so I'll be able to check out areas/apartments/laundrettes when I'm over. Any more suggestions before I come? Actually travelling out on the same flight as another lady from this formum which is quite cool. Hi Sara!

Serendipidy - I know, I know, I haven't emailed!! I will do tonight from home, promise, then you can send me your landline #. Thought about texting you but then realised you probably aren't using that number over here.

John - See ya for that drink in a few weeks mate!