Importing Pets

Old Feb 11th 2008, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all
Default Importing Pets

I know that people post on here every once in a while regarding the process for importing pets from countries other than the UK. Anyway our cat has been in Manchester for the last 5 months and will arrive here next month-- I just got a picture of him today from the boarder; I am not sure what they have been feeding him but he has doubled in size! I know that he wasn't this big when I sent him there...
Attached Thumbnails Importing Pets-lui.jpg  
Old Feb 12th 2008, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

Stephanie_77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Importing Pets

Oh wow, now that's a cat and a half!!
Old Feb 12th 2008, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

Stephanie, you are funny! I think that they have been feeding him mutton!
Old Feb 13th 2008, 1:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road

Zanne, what an adorable little (big?) guy. You must be so excited to see him soon.

Since we last spoke, I've taken my Desi to the vet to talk about transporting him, and spoken with a number of friends about it. With Desi being 15 years old with the beginnings of kidney disease, the concern is that the trip will be too much for him. One of our really close friends has offered to give Desi a new home, and I am seriously considering it. Under PETS, I can get him there without the 6-month quarantine, but the trip must go via UK which makes a very long and stressful trip for my little guy (coming from Canada).

Ultimately, I must do what's best for my geriatric cat, which may be to leave him with our close friend. I will miss him terribly, though. I've noticed people suggesting the SPCA / ARK for volunteering, and that would be a great idea for me, so I'll look into it when we move for good.

Anyway, thanks again for all of your help, and I'm happy for you that you get to see your kitty soon! If you ever need a cat-sitter haha... just let me know! We'll be arriving around the beginning of July.

Michelle (Foxy)
Old Feb 13th 2008, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy, I had a really good experience with the guys at BA (they were really sweet and they took a lot of pride in what they were doing, which made me feel more comfortable with the whole thing) as far as their commitment to taking care of Lui before and after the flight, there is also the possibility of letting him stay in one of the quarantine facilities (if the PETS is completed) for a week or so to relax and get back his strength before making the 2nd leg of the journey.

Good luck...I know this is a hard decision.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Foxy, our cat arrived yesterday and he is right back in the mix of our family--he is as happy as can be! (Albeit a little stout!) How are things progressing with your plans?
Old Mar 31st 2008, 1:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Zanne,

Very happy for you that you're reunited with your cat! I've actually decided to leave Desi behind but with a very good and trustworthy friend. It's going to be a very sad day when we drop him off, but I do think it's better for him in the long run (15 years old with the beginnings of kidney disease, and a nervous traveller seem to all be a recipe for trouble). Desi stayed with "Uncle Rob" when we came to BB in Feb to find our place, and they got along fantastically, which was a huge relief for me.

Thank you so much for all of your help and input on this topic. I'm so happy for you that you've got your entire family together now!

Foxy
Old Mar 31st 2008, 2:06 am
BE Enthusiast

I'm glad you have someone you can depend on to take Desi, that's great. We also have a Bajan cat named Puma...we adopted her from the RSPCA. So I am sure that when you get here you could always look into that.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

Missou is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Foxy and Zanne
I am from Montreal, Canada and thinking of moving to Barbados. I have three young cats, the youngest was my Christmas gift last Chirstmas. They are healthy and I don't really want to be separated from them. If i decide to make the move, I would go through the PETS program, at least, that is what I wanted to do until I saw the price I would have to pay for the whole process. But then again, I would not have to pay the whole amount all at once.
Could you tell me about the animal health care facilities in Barbados please
Thank you so much
Old Apr 11th 2008, 12:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Missou,

I'm not yet in Barbados, so I'll defer to Zanne to answer questions about animal care.

Zanne, I meant to tell you I plan on looking into volunteering at the RSPCA - so that I can at least have some contact with animals. If we end up staying for a long period of time in BB, maybe I'll adopt a Bajan kitty like you did

Good luck Missou with your decision. I know how hard a decision it is.

Foxy
Old Apr 11th 2008, 1:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Oh you should--plus RSPCA has a wonderful used book room. Our Bajan kitty Puma is soooo cool and she loves our cat Lui tons-- they were cross for about 5 minutes and then all was well. Once I start working we will adopt a 3rd!
Old Apr 11th 2008, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

Missou is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: Importing Pets

On my part, the decision is taken. I am waiting for two decisions from La société de l'assurance automobile du Québec, a government insurance that helps the people who were in a car accident. If they are positive and I get permission from the immigation departement in Barbados, I will move as quickly as possible. Since I am to young to be considered a retiree and unable to work, my case as to be treated differently.