Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Moving to Barbados - Questions!!

Moving to Barbados - Questions!!

Old Nov 23rd 2007, 4:39 pm
Just Joined

Shell007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Barbados - Questions!!

Hi All,

I am a relative newbie to this forum, seeking it out as I find myself in the very fortunate position of moving to Barbados next August to live with my partner.

He is Bajan but has lived in the UK for the past 30 years. He has to move back to take over the family business and has asked me and my son to move with him. My son is 11 (on Sunday!) and will be starting secondary school in September 2008 so the timing is perfect!

Anyway, on with the questions....

1. I have a dog, a springer spaniel, loopy as a box of frogs called Marley. He is 3 years old (he will be almost 4 when we go). I realise it will be hot (!) however, does anyone have any experience of how pets cope with the dramatic difference in temperatures? He loves to run, doesn't know when to stop and prefers to be outside rather than in. I have to make the decision as to whether I take him with us or re-home him here. Its such a tough one and any help from your own experiences would be greatly appreciated.

2. Codrington School - This is the school I want to get my son into. I realise it is on the East Coast and I will be in situ on the West Coast, however, they have advised me that they run a bus taking pupils from the West Coast. Anyone heard of this/used it? Has anyone first hand experience of this school? Hows the bullying? Is it generally a 'nice' school?

3. Anyone on the forum that lives on the West Coast? It would be nice to speak to people before I get out there (I will have to make a couple of trips anyway to check out the school etc so maybe we could meet up then?).

Thanks in anticipation of your responses!
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all
Default Re: Moving to Barbados - Questions!!

Hi there,

In regard to your dog: I think that any animal over time will acclimate to a significant change in climate, as long as he has plenty of water he should be fine. Right now our family cat is in a quarantine facility in Manchester as we are from the US. Even though you are not subject to quarantine, (the dog has never left the UK right?) keep in mind that you will need to secure an import permit from the Ministry of Agriculture and as well a Customs Broker to meet you when you arrive to clear the pet through customs at the airport. Here is the number for Veterinary Services here in BB: +12464275073.

On the other points we are living in Ch.Ch. so I cannot really be of help.

The only other thing I would mention, and forgive me for giving unsolicited advice-- if you aren't married now, do it soon and apply for citizenship. Right now the citizenship application backlog is almost 2 years long. Your status will be super important if you want or need to work and especially if your son needs a Student Visa.

Good luck with planning your move!
Old Nov 24th 2007, 10:13 am
Just Joined

Thank you for your response, Zanne.

With regard to status and getting married etc, it is not something we have talked about yet but I realise how important it is to get a residential visa as I need that in order to get my son into school! We are looking into that as we speak.

Michelle
Old Nov 24th 2007, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

scotmal is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Shelle

can I jump on the back of your question (cant see how to start new thread Duh) but it is the same subject.

Wife and me - almost pensioners - we she is but we wont go into that want to retire to the sun but on modest means --we dont lead a wild life style we just want to be able to enjoy our twilight years in the warmth BUT it would be nice to eat.

I assume none of our UK electrics would work so it almost a total new house including furnishings. Housing looks cheaper - a place for say £120k plus cost to furnish is all "one of costs" thereafter it just paying weekly biils.

For two of us in the UK a weekly shop is about £60 --- we eat out high days and holidays and can spend £50 to get a reasonable meal.

We dont smoke - hardly drink - god we are sad old people but we enjoy messing about in our garden and enjoying the sun and if there is a beach near by --oh happy days ---is Barbados a pipe dream for modest pensioners..............thanks to all for any comments and Shelle thanks for letting me ride on the back of your thread ---(where do you get new threads?)
Old Nov 25th 2007, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

jokilly is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Moving to Barbados - Questions!!

Hi Michelle.
I am from the U.K and have my son enrolled in Codrington from Jan 08 although he will only attend permanently from September.He is in the same year as your son.Henry went to the school for 2 days on our last holiday and he absolutely loved it.He took the bus to the West coast home as did many of the other children.I have to say everyone has been so welcoming.We have met some of the other parents,and the children have been so supportive,warm and kind to him.I really dont think that any bullying would be tolerated.We are over in Barbados for 12 weeks from the end of Feb and it would be lovely to meet up with you.
Kind regards Jo

Last edited by jokilly; Nov 25th 2007 at 9:24 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Nov 26th 2007, 8:20 am
Just Joined

Hi Jo,

What a brilliant reply! Exactly what I was looking for!

I can't pm you as I understand you need a minimum of 4 posts to do that. But I would really like to talk to you and know a bit more about why you are moving over to/back to Barbados. Do you have family there? Are you leaving family behind? I am, and my Mum didn't take it very well at all. However, I do feel that we only have one life and we have to take each opportunity that comes our way.

How easy was it to get Henry in for 2 days? This seems like a great idea and a good way of seeing what the school is like before going there full time. They do seem very approachable (I have only conversed by e-mail so far).

Michelle
Old Nov 26th 2007, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

jokilly is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Michelle,
I have no family at all in Barbados.We planned our move because I feel like you,we only have one life so live it!!! We chose Barbados partly due to the school as I honestly couldnt fault it when we went round it.Also we managed to buy a little house on the west coast for a fraction of the cost of a house here,and the people over there I find are really lovely.
I too am really close to my family and my sister in particular was really upset at the thought of us moving.However, due to the long school holidays in Barbados we will be home each summer. Also she will be able to come for fairly frequent holidays so we think it will be manageable.
Although Henry wont be starting Codrington officially until September I started to pay already.This is due to the fact it was the only way of making sure he would get a place.The class I think is full or maybe has 1 place,so you really need to get in contact ASAP with them.I found them really helpful and Im sure you will too.I didnt know anything about a student visa,so maybe you or someone in the know may be able to enlighten me a little.
Its nice to have someone in a similar position to us,although my husband isnt from Barbados.Like I said,we are over for 12 weeks in Feb to try the school,meet people and generally try and sort things out!
Its really nice to speak to you,
Kind regards
Jo :
Old Dec 7th 2007, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

brionyj is on a distinguished road

Hi there,
I seem to always be on this forum extolling the virtues of The Codrington School but I know how important it is for the kids (and mum) to be happy with the education.
Our two children started there in september - my youngest had never been in any type of nursery so it was a huge step for both of us. From the very first moment the teachers took care of all of us (I was an embarrassing blubbering mess) and I cannot recommend the school enough.
Codrington is a true community. Families are encouraged to get involved and everyone is friendly and welcoming. Classes are small and teachers good. Unlike some local schools, they are not allowed to smack the kids - if you are viewing other places, do check on this.
You should also know that Codrington is an International Bacalaureate school (my spelling may be off!). Check out the website. The philosophy is unique but the end result - the IB diploma at age 18 is highly regarded. I understand that kids who attain this can start uni a year ahead i.e. they don't have to do the first year so save on fees! However, the way of learning is such that although the end result is good, there is not the same pressure as some high stakes exams on kids.
You can tell I am a convert. You are welcome to pm me but also do e-mail the principal, he is simply brilliant.
In the UK my son went to an English private school - beautiful buildings, etc but no heart. Codrington still has some work (in progress) to do on the building and 'cosmetic' side but where it counts it come out tops.
Essay over!
Good luck