Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

keep applying but you can't come in !

keep applying but you can't come in !

Old Nov 24th 2007, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

BarLucian is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy keep applying but you can't come in !

Hi everyone,

Firstly I apologise for the length of the message!

I came upon this website and thought that it was just the thing I was looking for.

I too visit Barbados every year as my mother moved back 15 years ago. For the last couple of years I have been toying with the idea of moving to be near her as I am getting a little tired of England. I thought that it wouldn't be too much trouble applying for citizenship seeing as my mother is bajan, as was my grandmother and her mother before that(on my mother's side), but low and behold every door (bar writing to the Prime Minister himself) I have tried to get into my mother's country has been shut in my face

The one "small" loophole is that I was born BEFORE Barbados independency (November 1966, I believe - I was born May 1965) to a Bajan mother and a St Lucian father. Now, I know the laws have changed to allow more descendants of Bajan parents into the country as before it was only the birthplace of the father that was of any importance. So as it has been explained to me by the immigration office in Barbados that the categories which allows you citizenship are as follows:

Born BEFORE independence (November 1966)

You are ok if your parentage is:
Bajan Father, Bajan Mother
Bajan Father, non-national mother

Born AFTER independence

Bajan Father, Bajan mother
Bajan Mother, non-national father
Bajan Mother, no knowledge of father (single parent) & vice versa

I do not fall under any of these categories and so I have been told that because I was born BEFORE independence to a Bajan mother and ST LUCIAN father in WEDLOCK that I could not apply for citizenship.

Now, I have met a lovely Bajan man and we are talking marriage and stuff (but do keep in mind that I was thinking of the move before I met this lovely man). We have been taking it slow and I have read the other emails stating that men in barbados are not really to be trusted but that is by the by. I have the added dilemma that if we do get married does that secure me ANY rights to work in Barbados at all (I am a legal secretary at a private law firm in London) and will it be the case that I can only apply for residency? If we were to get married, trying to get him in this country would probably be just as hellish as the English are becoming a little irrate (to put it mildly) about how easy it is for non-nationals to get into the UK and by the time we get around to it (if we do) the laws will be so tight here it would be like getting into Fort Knox.

Do I forsake my budding relationship and abandon my mother to an uncertain future in her elderly years with no one to look after her, and but it down to "geography"
Old Nov 24th 2007, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all
Default Re: keep applying but you can't come in !

BL...I will send you a PM with my email, I am going through citizenship via marriage now...email me back and I will be in touch. Regards...
Old Nov 25th 2007, 8:39 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by zanne
BL...I will send you a PM with my email, I am going through citizenship via marriage now...email me back and I will be in touch. Regards...
Hi Zanne

I seem to be unable to open you email. I am new to this site but it doesn't seem very user friendly. It says it will not allow me to read messages if I have more than 3 posts! Is there another way I can get to your messsage?

BarLucian
Old Nov 25th 2007, 11:11 am
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

That's right, I forgot, just make one more post and then it should be okay.
Old Nov 25th 2007, 3:04 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BarLucian
Hi Zanne

I seem to be unable to open you email. I am new to this site but it doesn't seem very user friendly. It says it will not allow me to read messages if I have more than 3 posts! Is there another way I can get to your messsage?

BarLucian
Hi BarLucian

Its basically a mechanism to stop people coming on here, making one or two posts, and then spamming the forum
When you make 4 posts you will be enabled fully
Old Nov 26th 2007, 8:24 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

I came upon this website and thought that it was just the thing I was looking for.

I too visit Barbados every year as my mother moved back 15 years ago. For the last couple of years I have been toying with the idea of moving to be near her as I am getting a little tired of England. I thought that it wouldn't be too much trouble applying for citizenship seeing as my mother is bajan, as was my grandmother and her mother before that(on my mother's side), but low and behold every door (bar writing to the Prime Minister himself) I have tried to get into my mother's country has been shut in my face

The one "small" loophole is that I was born BEFORE Barbados independency (November 1966, I believe - I was born May 1965) to a Bajan mother and a St Lucian father. Now, I know the laws have changed to allow more descendants of Bajan parents into the country as before it was only the birthplace of the father that was of any importance. So as it has been explained to me by the immigration office in Barbados that the categories which allows you citizenship are as follows:

Born AFTER independence

I do not fall under any of these categories and so I have been told that because I was born BEFORE independence to a Bajan mother and ST LUCIAN father in WEDLOCK that I could not apply for citizenship.

Now, I have met a lovely Bajan man and we are talking marriage and stuff Do I forsake my budding relationship and abandon my mother to an uncertain future in her elderly years with no one to look after her, and but it down to "geography"

This sounds so ridiculous !!! You have a Bajan Born mother and grandmother, you should automatically be given citizenship status. I would not settle for that small technicality and seek further legal advice.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 8:44 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Born AFTER independence

"
Hi Barlucian, I was so angered by this post that I phoned the Barbados High Commission in the UK and they have insisted that the fact you were born before independence has nothing to do with whether you are entitled to citizenship. As long as one of your parents is bajan born you ARE entightled to citizenship. They were quite baffled as to where you were getting your information from and said you should apply through them. Give them a call and get it sorted. I had no problem getting my St Lucian citizenship through mother so good luck with your Bajan citizenship.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

pgtips...the Department of Immigration here in BB is totally out of control. When I entered BB in September with my son who is a citizen, to join my husband who is a citizen, with my own pending citizenship application (and with proof of all of this in my hands) I was only given a 30 day stamp-- after which again I was only given a 120 day extension based on my open ticket. The fact that my situation still necessitates an open ticket infuriates me as well. My husband and I applied for my citizenship 16 months ago, finally recently we were able to secure an interview, if I told you what went on down there... so yes your advice to seek legal counsel is right on the mark, I have never been so frustrated in my life. I expected to wait, bureaucracy, red tape-- but there is clearly a flagrant disregard for the rights of people to obtain citizenship (by birth or otherwise) and maintaining the family unit.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 11:28 am

pgtips...the Department of Immigration here in BB is totally out of control. When I entered BB in September with my son who is a citizen, to join my husband who is a citizen, with my own pending citizenship application (and with proof of all of this in my hands) I was only given a 30 day stamp-- after which again I was only given a 120 day extension based on my open ticket. The fact that my situation still necessitates an open ticket infuriates me as well. My husband and I applied for my citizenship 16 months ago, finally recently we were able to secure an interview, if I told you what went on down there... so yes your advice to seek legal counsel is right on the mark, I have never been so frustrated in my life. I expected to wait, bureaucracy, red tape-- but there is clearly a flagrant disregard for the rights of people to obtain citizenship (by birth or otherwise) and maintaining the family unit.

There definatly is something not quite right down there.
You are entightled to your citizenship by marriage, and you would think the least they could do is grant you permanent residency status until they sort your citizenship out, at least that would cut the hassle of having to constantly renew you stay. Is there not a local councillor who could assist you ? Are they charging you for your extensions ? Sounds very disorganised.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Oh yes, I paid for the recent extension.

At the last meeting even my husband, who never gets annoyed, was fuming. If things do not progress so that I can work in January we will hire an attorney here. For me as well I am in a grey area where employers don't really want to go through the effort of obtaining a work permit for me knowing that I will shortly become a citizen.

So frustrating...since I cannot work I am now a professional vegetable gardener!
Old Nov 26th 2007, 12:24 pm

Oh yes, I paid for the recent extension.

...since I cannot work I am now a professional vegetable gardener!

hey do not knock it, you are going back to how nature intended it and are doing your bit for the environment.....Oh and you get the satisafaction of knowing exactly where your veggies are coming from !!

I love gardening and plan to plant all sorts on my plot in St lucia.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

No, I am glad to have the time to do it (and the space), here with the rains everything is growing like mad. I'm just about to have a cup of peppermint tea from my very own peppermint plants-- I have to cut them back every morning as they are already growing like weeds.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 4:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by pgtips
Hi Barlucian, I was so angered by this post that I phoned the Barbados High Commission in the UK and they have insisted that the fact you were born before independence has nothing to do with whether you are entitled to citizenship. As long as one of your parents is bajan born you ARE entightled to citizenship. They were quite baffled as to where you were getting your information from and said you should apply through them. Give them a call and get it sorted. I had no problem getting my St Lucian citizenship through mother so good luck with your Bajan citizenship.
Hi Pgtip,

You say that you spoke to the High Commission and they told you that the information that I had was wrong. Guess where I got my information:
THE HIGH COMISSION IN UK! and
IMMIGATION OFFICE IN BARBADOS!

Even my mother went into the Barbados Immigration Office in Bridgetown and they told her exactly the same thing! Every time I have called the High Commission in the UK I get a different story. I firstly applied by filling out a application form and getting a medical which I had to pay for only to be told that it was the wrong application form and as I had a Bajan mother I could apply for citizenship. I did this, handed it into the High Commission in the UK who sent it to Barbados and about 6 months later I got a letter saying because I was "born before Independence and in wedlock I did not qualify for citizenship but I could apply for residency". So, the information is for the "horse's mouth" it would seem! My mother for further enraged when she had to wait nearly two hours to be seen only to be told exactly the same thing!
Old Nov 26th 2007, 6:49 pm

Hi Pgtip,

You say that you spoke to the High Commission and they told you that the information that I had was wrong. Guess where I got my information:
THE HIGH COMISSION IN UK! and
IMMIGATION OFFICE IN BARBADOS!

Even my mother went into the Barbados Immigration Office in Bridgetown and they told her exactly the same thing! Every time I have called the High Commission in the UK I get a different story. I firstly applied by filling out a application form and getting a medical which I had to pay for only to be told that it was the wrong application form and as I had a Bajan mother I could apply for citizenship. I did this, handed it into the High Commission in the UK who sent it to Barbados and about 6 months later I got a letter saying because I was "born before Independence and in wedlock I did not qualify for citizenship but I could apply for residency". So, the information is for the "horse's mouth" it would seem! My mother for further enraged when she had to wait nearly two hours to be seen only to be told exactly the same thing!
Barlucian, this red tape seems crazy so if your mum was not married they will give you your citizenship ? The high commission in London insisted that you were entightled to citizenship even if you were born before independence so it looks like the head and the foot have their wires crossed somewhere.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Here's an excerpt from the Constitution (and a link to the full text:
http://www.barbados.gov.bb/bdsconst_chpt2.htm):

Persons who become citizens on 30th November 1966
2.1 Every person who, having been born in Barbados, is on 29th November 1966 a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies shall become a citizen of Barbados on 30th November 1966

Every person who, having been born outside Barbados, is on 29th November 1966 a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies shall, if his father becomes or would but for his death have become a citizen of Barbados in accordance with the provisions of subsection (1), become a citizen of Barbados on 30th November 1966.

Any person who on 29th November 1966 is a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies -

2. having become such a citizen by virtue of his having been naturalized or registered in Barbados under that Act.

shall become a citizen of Barbados on 30th November 1966.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.