Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Moving to Barbados - advise needed!

Moving to Barbados - advise needed!

Old Jun 5th 2007, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

Bajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really nice
Default Re: Moving to Barbados - advise needed!

I think in Barbados it is more about class than race. I have friends of all colours, both rich and poor.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

Blazebajan will become famous soon enoughBlazebajan will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by trutje
I never ever noticed any racial issues in Barbados. And that's because I have never looked for it!
It is true that sometimes we only find that which we seek, but our need to seek is often defined by out experiences.
Sometimes I wish that my experiences had allowed me to retain the childhood ability I had to sing "We are the World" with confidence and courage and happy in the knowledge that everyone else sang the same song and meant it.

Unfortunately that has not been my experience and I have been shaped by it.

So for those of you who can still sing, sing away.

I've dropped out of the choir
Old Jun 5th 2007, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

Blazebajan will become famous soon enoughBlazebajan will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Bajanboy
I think in Barbados it is more about class than race. I have friends of all colours, both rich and poor.
and they both overlap, but being poor and white will still get more open doors than being poor and black.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 1:41 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blazebajan
and they both overlap, but being poor and white will still get more open doors than being poor and black.
It is interesting you mention poverty, because a lot of people only hear about the rich and well to do lifestyle in Barbados. Barbados as a whole to the outside world is not really associated with poverty and is classed as a pretty well off country by most standards.

Are there any particular areas where people are hard up ?
Is there a social security system to help them ?

One thing for sure is that there is a very affluent side to Barbados and that is what we normally hear about.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pgtips
It is interesting you mention poverty, because a lot of people only hear about the rich and well to do lifestyle in Barbados. Barbados as a whole to the outside world is not really associated with poverty and is classed as a pretty well off country by most standards.

Are there any particular areas where people are hard up ?
Is there a social security system to help them ?

One thing for sure is that there is a very affluent side to Barbados and that is what we normally hear about.
Barbados has a large middle class, a large lower class a small group of mostly white barbadians who generally own or are related to people who own most of the large companies, and a small group of upper middle class and wealthy expats.

"white" Barbadian is a term used to define a barbadian who is mostly white or one who is of lighter skin than the average bajan and has a little more money or connections than the average middle class black barbadian. "White" barbadians are also less likely to mix with socially and almost never marry black barbadians. Even though they are less than 7% or a small population 260,000, mixed couples are rare preferring instead to find spouses who are from outside of Barbados to avoid the social stigma of "marrying down" .
Old Jun 5th 2007, 2:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

trutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud of

So have I
Old Jun 5th 2007, 3:23 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Barbados has a large middle class, a large lower class a small group of mostly white barbadians who generally own or are related to people who own most of the large companies, and a small group of upper middle class and wealthy expats.

"white" Barbadian is a term used to define a barbadian who is mostly white or one who is of lighter skin than the average bajan and has a little more money or connections than the average middle class black barbadian. "White" barbadians are also less likely to mix with socially and almost never marry black barbadians. Even though they are less than 7% or a small population 260,000, mixed couples are rare preferring instead to find spouses who are from outside of Barbados to avoid the social stigma of "marrying down" .
Blazebajan, Thank you, I have a much clearer picture now.
I think wherever you go in the world there is a social elite, the minority who owns the majority of wealth, business etc. I do not think this is just unique to Barbados. However in Britain there tends to be more intergration now.
However having said that their is still the elite upper class who keep to themselves and do not mix much with anyone out of that class bracket whether they be black or white.

This topic is quite interesting because one of the most severe colour systems occurs in India. There is the Indian elite who are a few shades lighter than there fellow country men ( good old bleaching cream) and they will not even consider marrying the dark skinned Indians from the villages, even though they are all indian and no white people involved.

I would say even in the Afro Caribbean community this sort of discrimination exist to some extent where one is pre judged on complexion.

All I know God made all his children in diffrent, shades, shapes, sizes and different personalities and that is what makes the world such an interesting and varied place.

I worked in one publishing company in London and as I looked at my collegues I really realised mixing with different people you learn so much.

I worked with a Russian, a Ukraine, a Dutchman, people from Finland, a chap from Switserland, a friend from Guyana, a Jamaican chap, a guy from Mauritus (constantly playing pranks), an Australian and and I have had the pleasure of working with people from New Zealand and South Africa.

This has opened my eyes and made me realise behind the myth and bravado the majority of us are just decent hard working folk who just want to make the best out of our lives we can.

After growing up in a Country where we were almost made to fear Russians and Germans, two of the most delightful people I have had the pleasure of getting to know was my friend Fitz (from Germany) and Andre(from Russia), forget the crap about the iron curtain these were just twohard working chaps just like me, but just happen to be a different colour. We all used to go for drinks at lunch time and I learned so much about Russia and Germany and they both now are familiar with the Caribbean.

Thats the beauty of mixing and getting to know others and embracing all.

One of the most interesting discussions I have had was with a white South African (who I am proud to call a friend now after we ironed out a few things)
and also a Coloured South African, who seemed pretty mixed up.
Thats a story for another day.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

Bajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really nice

Any debate about race in Barbados is a touchy subject. I think much of the debate is based on outdated stereotypes as there is very little empirical evidence to support these stereotypes.

Some people would argue that white Barbadians control the economy, but that simply is not true. They are some very rich white bajans, but most have jobs just like everyone else. I know many working class white bajans. I also know many very wealthy blacks.

There is also much more intermixing of blacks and whites. If you look at Bajans personal pages on Myspace or Facebook, you will see a pretty mixed bunch of friends. I also see lots of mixed couples these days, although it may be more common among expats (and the more cosmopolitan white bajans) and black bajans.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

Any debate about race in Barbados is a touchy subject. I think much of the debate is based on outdated stereotypes as there is very little empirical evidence to support these stereotypes.

Some people would argue that white Barbadians control the economy, but that simply is not true. They are some very rich white bajans, but most have jobs just like everyone else. I know many working class white bajans. I also know many very wealthy blacks.

There is also much more intermixing of blacks and whites. If you look at Bajans personal pages on Myspace or Facebook, you will see a pretty mixed bunch of friends. I also see lots of mixed couples these days, although it may be more common among expats (and the more cosmopolitan white bajans) and black bajans.
Have you been listening to Dick Stoute again?

Bajans outside of barbados tend to operate differently from those within, but once you'rehere it is so easy to fall into old habits
Old Jun 5th 2007, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pgtips
Blazebajan, Thank you, I have a much clearer picture now.

you appear to be a person from whom I could learn much. I like your open minded attitude and the clear vision with which you see the world.

Clear vision is not the same as "why can't we all just get along" and it is refreshing to see someone who is unafraid to call it like they see it.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

Belinda1974 is on a distinguished road

...interesting postings in here these days......would like to add my thoughts, but have to shift it to another day since I am just "dead" from work.... too lazy to write today, but very good to read that there are people thinking similar than myself....
Old Jun 6th 2007, 11:22 am

you appear to be a person from whom I could learn much. I like your open minded attitude and the clear vision with which you see the world.

Clear vision is not the same as "why can't we all just get along" and it is refreshing to see someone who is unafraid to call it like they see it.
Blazebajan, I have already learnt stuff from you, especially an alternative insight into Barbados, and that is the great thing about getting to know different people and broadening one's horizon.

The power of the web. I should finally build my house in St Lucia next year, and this will be a base for extensively visiting the other Caribbean islands and hopefully opening the door to some great experiences.
Old Jun 6th 2007, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

trutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud of

I believe you HAVE to be openminded to live in a place like Barbados. There's no use of having the "complaining" attitude like everyone has in Europe.
Barbados has been my home and always will be, it sounds strange, but Barbados is the place I have found myself,where I have found others like myself, it also has it's downsides but if I have to weigh them up against all the downsides here in Europe they would still be possitive.
I have lived in a lot of other country's before Barbados and as soon I arrived there I felt like I came home.
Ofcourse after have lived there for 3 years and going back I do see like it is,
and can honestly say, for me it's the best place to be!
Old Jun 6th 2007, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

I totaly agree with you. If I hear all the racial issues going on here in Europe, that's something to worry about. And this is not just about black against white, but it's about Polacks, Indians, Pakistani's,Black Caribbean's, Africans etc....
So to suggest Barbados has an issue is just an outragiouse thing to say.
Old Jun 6th 2007, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by trutje
I believe you HAVE to be openminded to live in a place like Barbados. There's no use of having the "complaining" attitude like everyone has in Europe.
Barbados has been my home and always will be, it sounds strange,

I have lived in a lot of other country's before Barbados and as soon I arrived there I felt like I came home.
Ofcourse after have lived there for 3 years and going back I do see like it is,
and can honestly say, for me it's the best place to be!
Out of Interest why are you back in UK ? Will you be returning to live in Barbados ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.