Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Moving to Barbados - advise needed!

Moving to Barbados - advise needed!

Old Dec 23rd 2006, 11:47 pm
Just Joined

17green is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Barbados - advise needed!

Hello,
I recently got a job in the university of the west Indies in Barbados and I'm moving in the end of January. I'd like to ask if anybody has a rough idea what might cost to transport a medium size car to Barbados from UK. Suggestions of companies etc. would be very appreciated.
cheers
george
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 2:58 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 17green
Hello,
I recently got a job in the university of the west Indies in Barbados and I'm moving in the end of January. I'd like to ask if anybody has a rough idea what might cost to transport a medium size car to Barbados from UK. Suggestions of companies etc. would be very appreciated.
cheers
george
well you'd be mad to import a car into Barbados because of their import fees and rules.

car must be 4 years old or newer, and the tax comes to 310% (which makes a car worth £5k cost £15k to bring in!)

cost of shipping would be another £2k approx.

cars are expensive there but still cheaper than this import option - best thing is to get on HP which is what everyone else does!

hope that helps
Old Jan 6th 2007, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

Thank you very much! I didn't know that cars for personal use are taxed up to that level. I will certainly reconsider my plans! thank you again!
george
Old Jan 7th 2007, 7:27 pm
missng_barbadosalready :(

i_luv_barbados! is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, I have just read your message, me and my family arrived back in England on Thursday form our 4th visit to Barbados! I am soooo jealous you are going to be living there! Believe me as soon as I can I want to move there. How did you manage to get a job and what is it doing? Did it take a while? Was it as difficult as people say? Good luck out there - I am sure its going to be tough, days off at the beach, friday nights at Oistins! Lifes a bitch eh? lol Me and my family have briefly looked into immigration but we have some commitments here - 2 dogs and 2 horses which, we could sell the horses but the dogs? We co uldnt leave them here and they might not be able to withstand the heat. I would be grateful of any information you could give me. Thanks
Old Jan 9th 2007, 10:40 pm
Just Joined

Hi, sounds like Barbados is THE place to be! glad to hear that. I was not looking to go particularly to Barbados. Just happend to find this job there. Last august i saw an advert on jobs.ac.uk for a lecturer in the university and sent an application.
It's nice to hear that the people in Barbados are nice and friendly. It's not a commodity to be taken for granted in many places these day.
I hope you manage to make it to Barbados for good! I'm sure the dogs would love it! some splashing into water will do with the heat!
george
Old Jan 19th 2007, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

needtoteach is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wanna teach there!

Hey, anyone with any advice for two primary/middle school teacher's who wanna live in Barbados????

Last edited by needtoteach; Jan 19th 2007 at 8:55 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2007, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

_Tropical_11th is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by islandmom
well you'd be mad to import a car into Barbados because of their import fees and rules.

car must be 4 years old or newer, and the tax comes to 310% (which makes a car worth £5k cost £15k to bring in!)

cost of shipping would be another £2k approx.

cars are expensive there but still cheaper than this import option - best thing is to get on HP which is what everyone else does!

hope that helps
Yeah taxes are kinda high.... Which is probably why the island has 3 main bus transport systems instead of just one. There's perhaps plenty to be made transporting around all those people.

There are:
1) The Government owned buses.
(The Big-blue Mercedes ones) -- http://www.transportboard.com/

2) The independently owned buses. (The half-sized yellow ones.)

3) The independently owned mini-vans known as "ZR's" (Zed-R's). The ZR's are the white mini vans with a maroon stripe around the exterior and black-dot on the front with the route numbers inside the dot.

~Tropical_11th
Old Jan 20th 2007, 2:42 am
Forum Regular

_Tropical_11th is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Moving to Barbados - advise needed!

Originally Posted by i_luv_barbados!
Hey, I have just read your message, me and my family arrived back in England on Thursday form our 4th visit to Barbados! I am soooo jealous you are going to be living there! Believe me as soon as I can I want to move there. How did you manage to get a job and what is it doing? Did it take a while? Was it as difficult as people say? Good luck out there - I am sure its going to be tough, days off at the beach, friday nights at Oistins! Lifes a bitch eh? lol Me and my family have briefly looked into immigration but we have some commitments here - 2 dogs and 2 horses which, we could sell the horses but the dogs? We co uldnt leave them here and they might not be able to withstand the heat. I would be grateful of any information you could give me. Thanks
You can *perhaps* bring both. I must say I don't know how much it would cost though. My reason is the Canadian fellow Eugene Melnyk (The one which owns the pharmaceutical company "Biovail" and the Canadian Hockey Team the Ottawa Senators) he's got tons of horses which as far as I know, he has them going to races all over the world. He's got horses in Barbados and a separate horse farm in Florida. Plus horses of his from Barbados are constantly going on tour to race up in Canada or the United States so I know the Government can handle the shipment of horses.

http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache...ient=firefox-a

As far as dogs, an import permit (and 6 month quarantine) must be obtained before the entry into Barbados of all pets. Dogs and cats **can** be imported by permit (without quarantine) directly from the following countries: the UK, The Republic of Ireland, Jamaica, St. Kitts/Nevis, Antigua, St.Lucia and St. Vincent. Cats and Dogs originating from any other countries must undergo six month quarantine in Great Britain after which time an import permit can be secured.

~Tropical_11th
Old Feb 6th 2007, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

Hello, I'm looking for 1 or 2 bedroom house/apartment between BD$800-1300. Preferably near the university campus at cave hill. I would apreaciate if anybody knows any property availiable. cheers. george
Old Apr 27th 2007, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

trutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud of

Hi Linda,
we have lived in Barbados for 3 years and are in the UK for the last year now.
I miss Barbados every single day!!! We are trying to get back asap.
The Island is absolutely lovely! The people are very very nice and kids well behaved! The lifestyle is beyond imagination! Crime is petty.The only problem you could have is that you need a workpermit for minimum 1 year to get your kids in school.Schools are very good.Lots of homework though....
Don't hasitate, go tomorrow if you have the chance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 7th 2007, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

Dominican is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by flaxhigh
Hi there Topical-11th,

That was so kind of you to go to so much trouble. I found all your information fascinating. I feel quite daunted by the prospect of moving to a foreign country. My main problem now is that my husband is convinced that Barbados has bad crime. I find this a bit silly as we live in a far more crime-ridden area in Scotland but when we were last in Barbados we had a bad experience with some young men who tried to mug us....and he won't forget that. I wonder if Barbados is getting worse for crime or if there are any areas to avoid? We want to be on the west cost - I felt pretty safe there, I must say. Okay, I can't imagine it is as safe as tiny islands like Saba or Anguilla or probably the UK Virgin Islands but it must be pretty safe. I wonder if you ever feel resentment from locals because as a foreigner you are perceived to be/are much more wealthy than they are? I feel you get this anywhere though I guess my husband has a point that as a foreigner you stand out more and therefore are more of a focus for resentment.

I have written to the immigration office to enquire about long-term residency - though I don't think I will need citizenship - or will I? I know the British Virgin Islands - as I have recently inquired - only allow you to reside for 6 months at a time and maybe will allow you informally to stay on the islands on a 6 month renewal basis - but that seems a rather risky proposition on which to purchase a property. I was interested to hear you say that it is so different on Barbados. Do they really allow you to live there without any special license?

Do you know any good attorneys who could handle all the paperwrk for me for getting residency or do you think that it is not that difficult to do oneself?

Once again, many thanks for your generosity in sending me all this information. When I have a moment, I shall look at all the websites you recommended.

Very best wishes

Linda
virgin islands have more crimes, thought you should know.. And there are crime everywhere in the world. You're more likely to be effect in Uk then in Barbados.
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

Blazebajan will become famous soon enoughBlazebajan will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Mary
Hello,

I can honestly say that parents who live here think it is the best thing that they have done for their children, and I think it is. We have private schools where the expat children go to and most parents know each other. Anti-white? ah ah ah, if you can cope with some attitude then all will be fine...
Ahhh attitude... no reason for anyone to have attitude.

Yes that true and they continue to send their kids to the white schools so that we can continue the lovely subculture of social aparthied we have going here in Barbados.

Have a look around, white kids are driven to their exclusive white schools , black kids take the bus to the govenment schools, which by the way provide a better education at the top levels and produce Rhodes Scholars on annual basis. But hey who cares about education, just send them to a school where everyone looks the same and no feathers ever get ruffled and when they graduate no brighter than when they entered just use some cash and contacts to get them a job...

not that i have any lingering bitterness over this issue or anything
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 3:37 am

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Blazebajan

Yes that true and they continue to send their kids to the white schools so that we can continue the lovely subculture of social aparthied we have going here in Barbados.

Have a look around, white kids are driven to their exclusive white schools , black kids take the bus to the govenment schools, which by the way provide a better education at the top levels and produce Rhodes Scholars on annual basis. But hey who cares about education, just send them to a school where everyone looks the same and no feathers ever get ruffled and when they graduate no brighter than when they entered just use some cash and contacts to get them a job...

do you have kids?? I have found that as a parent my main concerns about schools arent just the high results tables ... I want to send them somewhere where I think they will "fit in", somewhere where there is control, respect, good facilities etcetc

mine go to the local kindergarten - they are 2 of only 4 white children attending and the teachers are superb, the kids well behaved and the environment very friendly.

the only state primary here on the other hand for my oldest to start at in Sept is terrible, the kids run riot, they are VERY rough, there is not enough "compassionate" teaching as I would say - corporal punishment still very much used.

I simply will not send my kids there purely based on the fact they are likely to have the shit kicked out of them, and them to then act out in the same way. so we are forced into the private school for that very reason.

My kids are West Indian - not expats - they've been here all their lives, this is their home and what they know. But when it comes to schools I dont care if its private or state - if its not right for them they wont be going there
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 10:30 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blazebajan

Well well well, have we opened up a can of worms here ?

I do not live in Barbados, but I am very familiar with the Caribbean and own property in St Lucia. From what I have gathered this is not a black or white thing but MONEY thing. Those that can AFFORD and choose to send their kids to private school, is because they have the money to do this. There are also black kids who attend the private schools if their parents can afford it and choose to send their children there.

I am currently looking at schools in St Lucia and I will send my kids to the best school I as a parent think they will flourish in.

I currently reside in the UK and there are many private schools the majority of the population cannot afford to go to. Is this a race thing or a class (money) thing ? I think you will find it is the latter.

Luckily there are also some great government schools where the less financially fortunate do very well, so well that even those who could afford to go to private school fight to get into these schools.
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

Blazebajan will become famous soon enoughBlazebajan will become famous soon enough

You are right it is not as simple as a black or white thing,in the caribbean we also have the "high brown" the "brown" the "red" all of whom can if they have enough money assimilate into the local white community.

But I wasn't taking personal pot shots any anyone I'm just really angry at when i see what amounts to social segregation here in Barbados, local whites only marry non blacks, mixed couples are rare and we still have white only clubs, most local whites refuse to send their kids to the government schools (and I am not sending my kid to any sham of a school either but the top goverment schools in Barbados are generally much better than the private schools) preferring instead to keep their kids in the clique that is the white barbadian community.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.