Moving to Barbados

Old Mar 4th 2020, 1:35 am
Just Joined

Ssapritchard is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Barbados

Hello everyone
This is my first post

I’ve spent about 3 days on here reading all the comments about moving to Barbados, and I’m unsure about a few things.

I understand that it’s near impossible to move to the island, unless your offered a job, (which is also near impossible), married and applying for citizenship, or a descendant of a bajan applying for citizenship.

With that said, I’ve seen a few posts about 24-34+ year olds of females that have been able to move to the island. & I would like to enquire how.. if that’s on one of the things listened above or something else?

I've been Visiting the island for the last 4 years, and my partner (non married) has recently moved over for work. He’s bajan with a bajan passport so he’s fine, but obviously it’s seeming near impossible for me because I’m a UK citizen.

one last question I’d like to ask is, is there any way to apply for residency or dual citizenship for myself without any of the things listed above?
What’s the reality I would be able to find a job that would sponsor me a working visa,
and if I applied for an extension to stay, how long after the extension is up untill I can come back and apply again?

ive spent about 2 months emailing immigration and the London embassy, jobs, anything I can find to help answer a few questions and I’ve had no reply.

so ANY help, answers, ideas, would be very much appreciate.
Old Mar 5th 2020, 11:37 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Barbados

Welcome to the board Ssapritchard.

Glad you have done your home work. The first thing I'd say is.. Marry the Bajan.. however.. it's not really as simple as that either. but it will eventually get you living and working here.

so I'll start at the top.. what you likely have already read. Unless you have some really exemplary skill that no Barbadian already leaving here has and a business locally who wants to hire you with that skill, you likely aren't going to get a work permit.
If you come into a load of money and want to come in under a special entry visa, then you would be allowed to live here. not sure about work. You can also buy a property.. but again.. you don't automatically get residency or citizenship for that either.

I can say that there are some changes being made in the immigration laws. . not sure what they are at the moment, however.
Whatever you do.. don't fall into the "come over and live and you can fly under the radar" kind of trap. it's not worth it

Good Luck. As for getting answers via e-mail... well. .that's very unfortunate.. but I completely understand.. I've been doing the same to some government officials re other issues.. with no response. .

Old Mar 6th 2020, 11:02 am

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Barbados

Hey SSA - I totally get your position as I have come across a number of people in your position. You sound bright enough to know the answers already but I understand that the heart wants what the heart wants.

I myself had to make decisions re relationships dependant on how long I would be in Barbados. To be honest without a status you can be in BIM for around 3-6 months and then need to leave - this actually works well for some people.

I am in the UK presently and happy to have a telephone chat with you if you pm me privately although you might have to post a couple more replies to this thread before you can post privately

Dips