Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Job Opportunities and Work Permits

Job Opportunities and Work Permits

Old Mar 9th 2020, 4:07 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Job Opportunities and Work Permits

I hope the Admins indulge me on this one :

I need to make a point to anyone who has been offered a job in Barbados.. who has been advised that once they accept, they will be given a work permit. This just happened today. I am not aware of how long the Virgin Job Advertisement was posted in the papers, nor am I aware of which newspaper it was in.. possible both.. The Nation and the Advocate. but the Application for the work permit was placed this morning. 2 days (a weekend) after the job applications closed.

What is my point?? The University of the West Indies spits out about 8000 graduates a year. They also have the UWI School of Business, not to mention a small institution called BIMAP - Barbados Institute of Management and Productivity. (that is accredited and does teach marketing) . Not to mention that Bajans who leave here, and go to Universities in the UK, USA and Canada and other locations to study... I concentrate on Marketing, as that's what this job request is for, however. we have seen this with.. 1. Engineers (we do have graduate engineers in many forms on this island). 2. management, 3 Law, and even a Bartenders position.. (yes. the title was Bartender.. and my daughter, who was trained at the Barbados Hospitality Institute in Culinary Arts was also taught to be a Bartender..)

in the Job information, they don't actually say specifically do this and that.. but the biggest takeaway, is that of being the CARIBBEAN marketing manager. What better than to have someone from here, or any Caribbean island, to do that job.. (by the way.. A qualified Caribbean National from another island can work in Barbados without a work permit. There is a process they have to go through, but. .it's a heck of a lot easier than applying for a work permit.).. having to liaise with local sales managers, being able to produce CARIBBEAN specific material for marketing.. Can someone who has NEVER lived here honestly to that?? Yes.. I know. . you can take your skills anywhere and LEARN what you need to know.. however.

2 days after the application deadline closed.. the work permit request went into the paper.. what this means is that Virgin Atlantic already has someone ready for the job.. or already doing to job in the UK.. Taking away a great job for a Bajan or Caricom Citizen.

This is WHY I'm the voice of doom when you all ask about living in Barbados. There are some very very qualified people living on this island who aren't getting these types of jobs because someone from outside has already gotten it. in this, it's likely someone already with in the organization..

Old Mar 9th 2020, 5:05 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Opportunities and Work Permits

Its called going through the motions... Happens all over the world, virgin have someone in gloomy gatwick who is experienced and really wants the job, virgin trust them to do it, but must be seen to follow protocol. Plenty of firms in the caribbean do this with their own nationals too. However your warning is entirely justified, these jobs are rare things, and random people who fancy the sun cause they visited once should be put off as its highly unlikely to happen for them.

A decade ago i ran IT for a big chunk of disney from london. We always advertised anonymously. Once an agency screwed up and advertised as disney for a database analyst for me, apart from the 300 applicants, i had one addressed to me by name care of disney world florida, one from a teacher in ohio who knew no IT but was into amateur dramatics which would carry him in a role at disney, and 4, yes 4! from Nigeria with quite possibly dubious CV’s.

aside - the role is to market the caribbean to americans and europeans, not carribean folks, so i guess there is some logic in a non caribbean person?

Last edited by uk_grenada; Mar 9th 2020 at 5:07 pm.
Old Mar 10th 2020, 8:03 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Opportunities and Work Permits

UK Grenada.. we are very aware that it happens.. what it is.. and how they get around it. and it's not just international companies.. there have been a few local companies who have also placed that advert as well.. I have from personal experience, seen an advertisement that read like a University curriculum for a very specific job. not a soul in Barbados could ever have qualified. The non-national partner of a bajan.. they "went through the motions".. and did the ad and waited a few weeks and did the 'having found no suitable applicant" advert, which is mandatory.. and the person was granted the permit. .they subsequently got engaged.. and an "early wedding" in front of a judge, so the papers for residency/citizenship could be filed sooner and then married "for real" about a year later..

sorry but.. I disagree on the last one. The Role is for a Caribbean Marketing Manager.. it would be assumed they aren't selling the Caribbean to Caribbean people.. but it wouldn't require someone from outside to do the job. Anyone worth their salt could do that job.. including very capable Barbadians or Caribbean Nationals.