Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Looking for jobs in Barbados

Looking for jobs in Barbados

Old Aug 24th 2010, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

britishexpatlady will become famous soon enoughbritishexpatlady will become famous soon enough
Default Looking for jobs in Barbados

Hi This is my first posting!
Nice to have found this site, Ive got a question, We have Permanent residency in Barbados, We are currently living in Bulgaria, but want to sell our properties as we are wanting to live in Barbados instead but we need jobs to sustain us?

How do we find jobs at the Airport in Barbados? as on one of the postings on this site somebody said: "It should be easy to get a job at the airport".?

I am hoping we can find one!

Regards to all who read this.x
Old Aug 24th 2010, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all
Default Re: Looking for jobs in Barbados

Hello, I am a little confused by your post...someone else chime in if I am incorrect, wouldn't permanent residency come with proof of financial self-sustenance? As for jobs at the airport, you would need to either go to Seawell, or an airline directly. But does permanent residency permit you to work, I am not certain...
Old Aug 24th 2010, 11:26 pm
Just Joined

britishexpatlady will become famous soon enoughbritishexpatlady will become famous soon enough

Hi, Ive got Residency by Decent! so im very lucky! lol, all I need to do is to find a Job.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

bamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nice

To Zanne: Permanent residency is in many ways similar to citizenship, permission to work, free medical at the hospital, ID card. It is not possible to carry a Barbados passport, but I know of many PR who even have barbados pensions. It is often granted through marriage. And once you have it it is permanent. I believe one of the big diffences is that citizenship can be passed on to ones children and permanent residence can not, eventhough the cildren would be citizens once born in Barbados, (like mine).
I have been a permanent resident for 25 years in AND out of Barbados, and for me it was a choice because, because my birth country did not allow dual citizenship, I have been employed and have had my own registered business.

To Expatlady : It is advisable to get registered at NIS and get your NIS number before you can apply for jobs, some employers do it, but it is an advantage to have it before you start applying.
As for finding jobs, will not be easy,
Seawell has openings at times, but you really need a contact(reference) in order to get in there, unless mmaybe you have a solid track record for airline work.
Finding jobs in Barbados is a lot about who you know and being at the right place at the right time.

Good luck.

Last edited by bamiskados; Aug 25th 2010 at 8:31 am.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 8:53 am
Just Joined

I think ive made a mistake, we have Citizenship by Decent ! lol...

This prob makes a difference.. thanx for your comment..x
Old Aug 25th 2010, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

bamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nice

I was wondering about that, cause PR can not be passed on by decent.

Even though it maks no difference in the work situation, as I said PR allows you to work, you still need to get NIS registration, that is to enable your future employer to pay in the deductions out of your wages/ salary.

I am pretty much in the same situation, presently living abroad and and preparing to return to Barbados, and an income is the most important thing.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 10:18 am
Just Joined

Hi, As your in the same situation as us, it would be good to kep in touch, my email is: [email protected]

Best Regards, Sandra.