Living in Barbados

Old Feb 17th 2008, 8:14 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living in Barbados

Originally Posted by Bajanboy
Hi All:

I am surprised about the comments regarding the number of Brits in Barbados at any one time, so I will add my 2 cents worth. At any one time, there is probably no more than 15,000 British on the island, including tourists. Considering the population is about 270,000, that is less than 6%. About half the tourists coming here are from the UK, representing less than 300,000. Hotels are spread along a 50 km stretch from Speightstown to east of Oistins. Many visitors stay in private accommodation (apartments and villas), or with friends and relatives, and that helps to reduce the spacial density further.

John
blimey - well it feels far more than that! cant move without falling over a burnt white english family on the southcoast and up the west coast cant move in a restaurant for seeing them.

Inland though is very different as is east coast. Is it really 50ks that stretch? feels far less as its so crowded with hotels and new buildings, apart from the small bit through Br/town.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

Talk about biting the hand that feeds you!
Old Feb 17th 2008, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by zanne
Talk about biting the hand that feeds you!
I know , naughty arent I

good thing is here we never see the hands
Old Feb 17th 2008, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

Actually you aren't the hand...
Old Feb 17th 2008, 9:23 pm

Actually you aren't the hand...
are you being cryptic??

the hand - being the tourists - we never see them here as they hardly ever venture out of the resort

therefore we never see the hands that feed us

or are we having a total breakdown in communication here?
Old Feb 17th 2008, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

Bajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really nice

Islandmom:

How often do you visit Barbados?
Old Feb 17th 2008, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by islandmom
are you being cryptic??

the hand - being the tourists - we never see them here as they hardly ever venture out of the resort

therefore we never see the hands that feed us

or are we having a total breakdown in communication here?
I thought you were complaining about how often you encounter British tourists...
Old Feb 17th 2008, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

Bajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really nice

That's why I was asking how often she came here as I know there are not many tourists in the Grenadines where I believe she lives. It is seldom that I go to a beach in Barbados and it feel crowded. I live on long beach and I have never seen more than 10 people on 1 kilometre stretch of beach. Usually it is just me and my dog. If you want to see a crowded beach, go to the beach by Blue Monkey in Payne Bay, when the cruise ships are in. Madness. Government is about to do something about that, however.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

I believe that she is here...
Old Feb 17th 2008, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

Well, she certainly gives advice as if she is here, but the Vincy flag tells me leads me to beleive otherwise.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oh well...you are right I always have this anticipation that I will see the masses on the South Coast and then it is so quiet and cool...
Old Feb 17th 2008, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bajanboy
Well, she certainly gives advice as if she is here, but the Vincy flag tells me leads me to beleive otherwise.
Maybe on the moon...I sent you a PM.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 12:13 am

oh gosh - well I dont know exactly why the animosity from you guys, if you read my posts you know exactly where I live and the fact I often am in Barbados and if people ask questions I can give advice if I have seen it or been there.

quite why you're getting so uppity I cant imagine.

you dont seem to have had any problems at all - have you each had a bad day?

as per my posts of south and west coast this is truth, as supported by seeing it and my friends and acquaintances who live there as also with others on this board who agree.

Barbados is heaving with tourists - FACT - it is overdeveloped on the south coast - FACT - I have never said anything about being stuck on a crammed in beach - FACT - I say the traffic is horrendous, because it is - FACT - walk on the south coast sidewalks between the gap and garrison and you'll encounter a tourist about every 25ft - FACT.

has it lost its identity as a caribbean island - I think so, but many many many people are happy there and so they should be - it fits their needs.

I am sure in the same way you would be unhappy living where I do, far from being developed, basic living ..... maybe the moon as was suggested.

I hope you read my posts better and understand that as a Caricom national citizen I offer my advice based on the knowldege I have.

If you want to get nasty please bring it on - you started it. I dont hide gossiping behind PM's ..... like being at school and telling tales, if you have something to say please share it with the group.

Last edited by username 34; Feb 18th 2008 at 12:17 am.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 12:32 am
BE Enthusiast

You should just let people know that you don't "in fact" live here-- much of your posting implies otherwise.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 12:35 am

You should just let people know that you don't "in fact" live here-- much of your posting implies otherwise.
the flag of my avatar, and many MANY MANY posts in the Barbados forum where I say I dont live there tell you so (see threads you and I have noth posted in such as "getting a job in Barbados" and "is it all sunshine and smiles" are just 2 threads where I state I do not live in Barbados.

my posting implies I know things about Barbados that are facts and also my observations ... there is nothing evasive there and can be helpful to any poster ... as they may have been to you infact when you were first posting. The fact that you have skipped the posts where I state I live outisde Barbados is your own error - they are there in plain english.

have a good evening, I hope the attitude calms down from now on. This isnt an us and them forum, its for anyone who has knowledge, advice and opinions .... just as you have yours some of which others may not like either.

Last edited by username 34; Feb 18th 2008 at 12:42 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.