Living in Barbados

Old Feb 17th 2008, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

3aces is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living in Barbados

We're considering emigrating to the Caribbean in a couple of years. Just been reading through the post on the cost of living in Barbados which seems to rather high even by UK standards.

I have a few questions:

1) I was wondering how do locals manage to live in such a relatively expensive place?

2) Also, from reading the posts I'm getting the impression the country is full of Brits - don't get me wrong I'm Black British and I love fellow Brits but if everything is geared and set up for settlers. How can you mix and integrate with local people?

3) Would $5,000 a month rent us a nice four bedroom house (with a pool) an exclusive area?

4) When we emigrate we intend to run our interests in the UK remotely (so we won't be seeking work). What sort of residency would we need? I heard a small bribe to the right person could expedite things
Old Feb 17th 2008, 12:09 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living in Barbados

Originally Posted by 3aces
We're considering emigrating to the Caribbean in a couple of years. Just been reading through the post on the cost of living in Barbados which seems to rather high even by UK standards.

I have a few questions:

1) I was wondering how do locals manage to live in such a relatively expensive place?

2) Also, from reading the posts I'm getting the impression the country is full of Brits - don't get me wrong I'm Black British and I love fellow Brits but if everything is geared and set up for settlers. How can you mix and integrate with local people?

3) Would $5,000 a month rent us a nice four bedroom house (with a pool) an exclusive area?

4) If we emigrated we intend to run our interests in the UK remotely (so we won't be seeking work). What sort of residency would we need? I heard a small bribe to the right person could expedite things
Hi and welcome

1) yes it is expensive, but you can purchase foods etc cheaper by using local markets and buying fish from local fisherman etc. Import duties into Barbados are high and they know that many expats are wealthy and justify charging big prices in some areas.

2) There are alot of Brits, no getting away from that. And its only going to boom more with more hotels and more communities being built targetting the Brits. Integration .... well it depends who you're friends with, but lets just say the expat community of the welathier kind stick to their own playing games in their country clubs. Others who are there to "live" the Barbados way integrate perfectly well as they choose to do so.

3) $5000 EC per month you'd be hard pressed to find a 4 bed, pool in an exclusive area. try cariblist.com and it'll give you your best indication of what you'll get.

4) I dont go down the bribe route - never want to potentially expose myself to trouble with governments as the penalities would be harsh! you need to get in contact with the Barbados Consulate in London and they'l answer visa questions for you.

hope thats helps
Old Feb 17th 2008, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks.....love your nickname

Do you think $5000 (US) p/m will get us a nice four bedroom with a pool in nice neighbourhood? We're not bothered about being near the beach.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 12:43 pm

Thanks.....love your nickname

Do you think $5000 (US) p/m will get us a nice four bedroom with a pool in nice neighbourhood? We're not bothered about being near the beach.
that will get you something very nice for sure!!
Old Feb 17th 2008, 2:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

I think it is really hard to predict what Barbados will be like in 3 or 4 years, if it continues to gentrify at the current rate there won't be many Bajans left. In regard to housing, spending more money does not necessarily mean that you are getting more...
Old Feb 17th 2008, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks again for your replies.

My wife has scolded me for my residency expedition comment - My apologies if its inappropriateness

One question though...

Since our income will not be derived from Barbados and taking into account the prolonged residency process. Can we just extend our tourist Visas when we have to? We will need to visit the UK 2 -3 times a year anyway.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

Don't worry about that, bribery unfortunately is the name of the game in many areas of the bureaucracy here.

As far as extensions, my inclination is that you probably won't get more than 90 days at a time, which means that when you enter you will get 30 days (for the sake of argument) and then spend an entire day at the immigration office requesting an additional 90 days, and then return to the immigration office a week later to pick up your passport(s). I don't think that when you arrive at the airport, regardless of your ticket departure date, they will grant more than 30 days. I arrived as the mother and husband of citizens (that sounds funny), with a pending citizenship application and an open ticket and I only got 30 days. My last extension was for 126 days...

So that might work out for you returning to the UK 3 times a year or so.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by zanne
Don't worry about that, bribery unfortunately is the name of the game in many areas of the bureaucracy here.

As far as extensions, my inclination is that you probably won't get more than 90 days at a time, which means that when you enter you will get 30 days (for the sake of argument) and then spend an entire day at the immigration office requesting an additional 90 days, and then return to the immigration office a week later to pick up your passport(s). I don't think that when you arrive at the airport, regardless of your ticket departure date, they will grant more than 30 days. I arrived as the mother and husband of citizens (that sounds funny), with a pending citizenship application and an open ticket and I only got 30 days. My last extension was for 126 days...

So that might work out for you returning to the UK 3 times a year or so.

Oh I thought Brits could stay in Barbados for six months
Or am I missing something?
Old Feb 17th 2008, 7:43 pm

Oh I thought Brits could stay in Barbados for six months
Or am I missing something?
dont know what the exact dates are but I do know you have to have a return ticket or you wont even be able to board the flight in London. They demand either a return ticket at checkin or a residency visa if you're on a one-way ticket.

30 days I think is the extension you may receive AFTER your return ticket date ..... but dont quote me on that. Best way really is to check with the consulates as I suggested before so you get it all confirmed.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Islandmom...I arrived here last September 25th with a return ticket for March 7th, my original stamp was only for 30 days, and I obtained an extension until February 26th, which amounted to a little more than 120 days. I don't think that you are going to get anywhere near 6 months at the airport when you arrive. The laws on the books don't seem to agree with what really happens-- I guess in this case revenue (from extensions) wins out.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

Bajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really nice

Hi All:

I am surprised about the comments regarding the number of Brits in Barbados at any one time, so I will add my 2 cents worth. At any one time, there is probably no more than 15,000 British on the island, including tourists. Considering the population is about 270,000, that is less than 6%. About half the tourists coming here are from the UK, representing less than 300,000. Hotels are spread along a 50 km stretch from Speightstown to east of Oistins. Many visitors stay in private accommodation (apartments and villas), or with friends and relatives, and that helps to reduce the spacial density further.

John
Old Feb 17th 2008, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

Bajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really nice

Immigration will give you a maximum of 28 days on arrival, and then up to six months after that. I think at the airport, the most they can give is 28 days. You will need to show that you have sufficient funds to support yourself while you are here.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Have sufficient funds, or...be married to a man!!!As long as you are a married woman they could care less about your funds!!!
Old Feb 17th 2008, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bajanboy
Immigration will give you a maximum of 28 days on arrival, and then up to six months after that. I think at the airport, the most they can give is 28 days. You will need to show that you have sufficient funds to support yourself while you are here.
Bajanboy...I think if you want more at the airport you have to talk to a supervisor in the little room directly ahead of the immigration clerks, this is what they told me at the Consulate in NYC. When I arrived here I was just toooooo tired to even try that.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 8:11 pm

its so difficult to actually obtain and pin down relevant info on many things out here!

get yourself out here on a return ticket and then go from there is the best way. at least once in Barbados you can get right to the people and offices you need to be in contact with.

and enjoy - thats the most important thing!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.