Internet Service Provider

Old Aug 23rd 2009, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

mollyandlizzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Internet Service Provider

I am moving to Barbados in early September. I would like to arrange for my internet service to be up and running before I arrive. Can anyone tell me who is the most reliable internet service provider on the island? I am looking for fast and dependable internet service.
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Internet Service Provider

hmmmm dependable service...

You can choose from Lime or Telebarbados. Telebarbados have just started providing a home service, they have been corporate only until recently, I think they are cheaper than Lime as you only get internet from them but for me the downside is that it is a wireless service...

HTH
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 6:45 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Shines i gotta use this emoticon too lol im afraid with internet access you get it if its up and if its down you shut up - and still pay!!!!! this is Lime of course and they make out they are doing you a complete and utter favour in allowing you port access and of course you wait for weeks to be allowed that priviledge lol

Sorry for the bad news re internet services but remember your moving to an island and you options are limited for most services that we take for granted on the big island
Old Aug 24th 2009, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road

We're with LIME, too (we need cabled service because we work from home and can't rely on wireless). It took 6 weeks just to GET internet, and the highest speed they can offer residentials is equivalent to what we know as "high speed lite" in Toronto. It's about 1.5mb or 2mb at best.

So, it's an adjustment. But hey, here I am, online.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

mollyandlizzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Foxy_fromCanada
We're with LIME, too (we need cabled service because we work from home and can't rely on wireless). It took 6 weeks just to GET internet, and the highest speed they can offer residentials is equivalent to what we know as "high speed lite" in Toronto. It's about 1.5mb or 2mb at best.

So, it's an adjustment. But hey, here I am, online.
Thanks so much for this. I guess we'll go with cabled and then put in a wireless router. Thanks for the advice.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

That's what we did - wired to the house, wireless within the house.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 1:29 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

I've been told to try Freemotion as well, which I actually think might be Telebarbados. We have an ADSL line with LIME.. haven't had tooo many problems.. but.. well.. nuff said...
Old Aug 25th 2009, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

joemacd is an unknown quantity at this point

We just moved into a rental place near Holetown and it has DSL from C&W.

However, it fizzes out every time we use the phone.

Please, tell me that's not normal here.

I'd call into C&W myself, but the cordless phone batteries die out before I get through the wait.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

They should be able to repair that. It probably has something to do with the phone & internet using the same line - maybe you just need an interference blocker or whatever those things are.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 5:04 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Joe have you tried swaping out your splitter - the little gadget that plugs into your phone line and is supposed to split the data and voice calls but might not be working - try it with someone elses as it might be as simple as that
Old Aug 27th 2009, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Splitter! That's what I meant. Thanks Dips, you're a genius.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough

I'v swapped my splitter twice in the last 2 months, and the last one has just given up... No phone again...!