Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

New Ferry Service for Barbados, St Vincent, St Lucia, Grenada & Trinidad

New Ferry Service for Barbados, St Vincent, St Lucia, Grenada & Trinidad

Old Aug 24th 2009, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

Ikon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Ferry Service for Barbados, St Vincent, St Lucia, Grenada & Trinidad

I don't know if this is old news, but thought I'd share as I wasn't aware of it before. I've cut and paste below from an email I received:

Commencing October 2009 a new ferry service will be available from Barbados to neighboring Caribbean islands.
The new routes which are to be operated by Grenada based BEDY Ocean Line will offer 2 services. One route will operate from St Vincent and stop at Barbados and St Lucia. The second route will operate from Grenada and stop at Trinidad and Barbados.
The announcement was made last week by the CEO of BEDY Ocean Line, Benjamin Ross, who stated that fares from Barbados would be in the range of $120 to $140 US per round trip, and the expected journey time would be 4 to 5 hours depending on the route.
Each ferry will carry in the region of 260 to 300 passenger seats. Further announcements are expected in regard to timetables, ticket availability and purchasing.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Ferry Service for Barbados, St Vincent, St Lucia, Grenada & Trinidad

I heard about this! I'm excited that it's actually happening. Gives "island hopping" a whole new meaning.

Would love to hear more about this as it unfolds, if you don't mind passing on details.

Thanks Ikon,
Foxy
Old Aug 26th 2009, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough
Default Re: New Ferry Service for Barbados, St Vincent, St Lucia, Grenada & Trinidad

This used to exist a long time ago, my other half used it and as soon as he got to St Vincent he booked a plane ticket back... sea sickness and then some
Old Aug 26th 2009, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

I remember you saying that, Shines. I was disappointed at the time when I found out it wasn't running any longer. I hope it goes well if/when they start it up again.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 12:30 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

trust me, you wouldn't have wanted to travel on what went before. Old mostly cargo, but fitted for a passenger ferry, but people still traveled with animals and veggies and the like. when it finished it was old and rusty..

I, as well, hope this survives as an alternate form of travel.. the only problem is that the seas between Barbados and St. Vincent are not he friendliest, can get a little rough (but so can the hour long journey it takes to get form St. Vincent to Bequia).

I haven't seen any photo's of the ferry, but it, one hopes, will be more modern and better equipped for seas such as this.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 2:49 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

4-5 hours journey, NO THANKS. I'll stick to air travel, 1/2 an hour to an hour max between islands.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

Peanut Punch is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations everyone on a really interesting forum.... love hearing about your meetings etc makes me wish I was in the Caribbean too.

This new ferry service sounds interesting but I must agree with PG Tips 4hrs is really long - seems a bit pricey too... I just checked on the Liat website a flight from St Vincent to St Lucia takes about 40minutes and costs around
$95 US.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

Ikon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Peanut Punch
Congratulations everyone on a really interesting forum.... love hearing about your meetings etc makes me wish I was in the Caribbean too.

This new ferry service sounds interesting but I must agree with PG Tips 4hrs is really long - seems a bit pricey too... I just checked on the Liat website a flight from St Vincent to St Lucia takes about 40minutes and costs around
$95 US.
4-5 hours takes in 3 islands, so I would guess from one island to the next is more likely to be a couple of hours? It does say depending on route, and the full pricing info isn't out yet so we should probably suspend judgement until it is.

Personally, I'm just feeling positive that there's a new option available soon, I'm sure they'll be trying to be competitive on all fronts. Taking into account airport check-in times, the journey times on the ferries might turn out to be pretty attractive!
Old Aug 26th 2009, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

That's true - it's good to have different options for travelling ... especially as flights can get booked up quite quickly.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

and.... liat is always late
Old Aug 26th 2009, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

Oh dear, I was really hoping they'd improved.
I guess I was just lucky - last time I flew with them from St Lucia to St Croix stopping at around 4 or 5 islands it was quite a good trip.
Are there many other airlines flying between the Caribbean islands at the moment ?
Old Aug 26th 2009, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

There is Caribbean Airlines. I don't know much about them (never used them)

and of course I'm being sarcastic. They're not always late. Just often.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 9:05 pm
Just Joined

I know what you mean I got caught out a few times by another airline that previously flew from the UK to the Caribbean - always late eating into valuable holiday time
Thanks for the info good to know what's available, looking forward to more island hopping in the future.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 6:45 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

LIAT - Leave Island Any Time
LIAT - Luggage In Another TimeZone
BWIA - But Will It Arrive
BWIA - Best Waitresses in the Air

(BWIA is now Caribbean Airlines)
Old Aug 27th 2009, 7:41 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

BWIA - Better Walk If Able

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.