Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Internet service for a month

Internet service for a month

Old Nov 28th 2009, 9:24 am
Just Joined

shazm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Internet service for a month

Hi Everyone

I'm thinking of visiting Barbados for a month and want to stay connected with people and events in London.

I shall be bringing my laptop with me. But can anyone advise me of ways I can get an internet connection for a month on my laptop without having to go to an internet cafe? Who is the best provider? How long would it take to get connected? Etc etc

Loking forward to your responses.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 10:49 am
Just Joined

sandgirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Internet service for a month

As far as I know there are 2 internet providers LIME and Freemotion, I know you cant get one months service from LIME but I got it from Freemotion for my Guesthouse everytime guests arrived who requested internet - but that was over a year ago. (Got now permanently) Please go on there website and see if there is information you looking for. They also provide a internet prepaid card ( slow- better than nothing) www. freemotion.bb Hope that helps
Old Nov 28th 2009, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road

You could try getting LIME or another ISP for a month, but the problem might be the time it takes for them to give you internet. It took 6 weeks for me when I first moved here. There are other ISPs but I can't remember them.

You could try to look out for hot spots with free wifi, depending on where you'll be staying. Italia Coffee House has free wifi for customers, as do various other places.

You could also see if anyone near you hasn't locked down their wireless and "borrow" from them, but some people think that is bad morals...

Finally, ask the hotel/landlord where you're staying - perhaps they offer free wireless for guests.

Good luck.
Fox
Old Nov 28th 2009, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough

There are also Telebarbados who apparently supply internet to homes now too... http://www.telebarbados.com/index.php

Ahh I see that is Freemotion... Anyone used them, are they better than Lime?

S
Old Nov 28th 2009, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I've been checking out the Telebarbados and Lime sites. I must say that I'm not too impressed with the limited information provided by Lime. I think I'm gonna have to email both providers at some point, especially regarding installation times.

I will be staying in a house in Christ Church, and I'll be spending most of my time in the area between Miami Beach and Maxwell. So if anyone knows of any free wifi areas near here please let me know.

Does anyone know if there's wifi in the library at Oistins?
Old Nov 29th 2009, 9:43 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Dont expect replys to emails here shaz rarely happens

Where in CH CH will you be cos its a big parish - WIFI hot spots are mainly near the hotels
Old Nov 30th 2009, 9:35 am
Just Joined

Hmm, I'm hoping they'll come good and reply to me!! I've sent the providers emails over the weekend.

Dipidy, I would be in Maxwell. So again, if you or anyone else knows where I can access wifi for free around here I would be truly grateful.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 9:40 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

don't start looking for replies until Tues, 1 Dec.. 30Nov is Barbados Indpendence day and it's a holiday .. so no one is working.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

Hey, I heard from Telebarbados today. Unfortunately, they say that they don't do one month subscriptions.
Old Dec 4th 2009, 12:27 am
Forum Regular

_Tropical_11th is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Foxy_fromCanada
You could try getting LIME or another ISP for a month, but the problem might be the time it takes for them to give you internet. It took 6 weeks for me when I first moved here. There are other ISPs but I can't remember them.

You could try to look out for hot spots with free wifi, depending on where you'll be staying. Italia Coffee House has free wifi for customers, as do various other places.

You could also see if anyone near you hasn't locked down their wireless and "borrow" from them, but some people think that is bad morals...

Finally, ask the hotel/landlord where you're staying - perhaps they offer free wireless for guests.

Good luck.
Fox
Barbados also has Sunbeach and CariAccess.
www.sunbeach.net
www.cariaccess.com
Old Dec 4th 2009, 9:50 am
Just Joined

Sunbeach are coming up tops!