British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Internet service for a month (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/internet-service-month-642516/)

shazm Nov 28th 2009 9:24 am

Internet service for a month

Hi Everyone

I'm thinking of visiting Barbados for a month and want to stay connected with people and events in London.

I shall be bringing my laptop with me. But can anyone advise me of ways I can get an internet connection for a month on my laptop without having to go to an internet cafe? Who is the best provider? How long would it take to get connected? Etc etc

Loking forward to your responses.

sandgirl Nov 28th 2009 10:49 am

Re: Internet service for a month

As far as I know there are 2 internet providers LIME and Freemotion, I know you cant get one months service from LIME but I got it from Freemotion for my Guesthouse everytime guests arrived who requested internet - but that was over a year ago. (Got now permanently) Please go on there website and see if there is information you looking for. They also provide a internet prepaid card ( slow- better than nothing) www. freemotion.bb Hope that helps

Foxy_fromCanada Nov 28th 2009 10:54 am

You could try getting LIME or another ISP for a month, but the problem might be the time it takes for them to give you internet. It took 6 weeks for me when I first moved here. There are other ISPs but I can't remember them.

You could try to look out for hot spots with free wifi, depending on where you'll be staying. Italia Coffee House has free wifi for customers, as do various other places.

You could also see if anyone near you hasn't locked down their wireless and "borrow" from them, but some people think that is bad morals... ;)

Finally, ask the hotel/landlord where you're staying - perhaps they offer free wireless for guests.

Good luck.
Fox

shines Nov 28th 2009 11:19 am

There are also Telebarbados who apparently supply internet to homes now too... http://www.telebarbados.com/index.php

Ahh I see that is Freemotion... Anyone used them, are they better than Lime?

S

shazm Nov 28th 2009 6:52 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I've been checking out the Telebarbados and Lime sites. I must say that I'm not too impressed with the limited information provided by Lime. I think I'm gonna have to email both providers at some point, especially regarding installation times.

I will be staying in a house in Christ Church, and I'll be spending most of my time in the area between Miami Beach and Maxwell. So if anyone knows of any free wifi areas near here please let me know.

Does anyone know if there's wifi in the library at Oistins?

Serendipidy Nov 29th 2009 9:43 pm

Dont expect replys to emails here shaz rarely happens

Where in CH CH will you be cos its a big parish - WIFI hot spots are mainly near the hotels

shazm Nov 30th 2009 9:35 am

Hmm, I'm hoping they'll come good and reply to me!! I've sent the providers emails over the weekend.

Dipidy, I would be in Maxwell. So again, if you or anyone else knows where I can access wifi for free around here I would be truly grateful.

Sunniebgi Nov 30th 2009 9:40 am

don't start looking for replies until Tues, 1 Dec.. 30Nov is Barbados Indpendence day and it's a holiday .. so no one is working.

shazm Dec 1st 2009 6:49 pm

Hey, I heard from Telebarbados today. Unfortunately, they say that they don't do one month subscriptions.

_Tropical_11th Dec 4th 2009 12:27 am

Originally Posted by Foxy_fromCanada (Post 8130773)
You could try getting LIME or another ISP for a month, but the problem might be the time it takes for them to give you internet. It took 6 weeks for me when I first moved here. There are other ISPs but I can't remember them.

You could try to look out for hot spots with free wifi, depending on where you'll be staying. Italia Coffee House has free wifi for customers, as do various other places.

You could also see if anyone near you hasn't locked down their wireless and "borrow" from them, but some people think that is bad morals... ;)

Finally, ask the hotel/landlord where you're staying - perhaps they offer free wireless for guests.

Good luck.
Fox

Barbados also has Sunbeach and CariAccess.
www.sunbeach.net
www.cariaccess.com

shazm Dec 4th 2009 9:50 am

Sunbeach are coming up tops!