Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

I'm loving CARICOM and its benefit's!

I'm loving CARICOM and its benefit's!

Old Oct 16th 2008, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

eugiebabe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I'm loving CARICOM and its benefit's!

Oh what joy! Yesterday I was told that I couldn't get citizenship because my mum was married when she had me (go figure) however I can get Antiguan Citizenship and a CARICOM passport (in 8 weeks!!) as my dad was Antiguan but not only that because I have a degree I can get an Accreditation Certificate so I can work in Barbados without having to have a work permit!!!! Accra Beach here I come!!
Old Oct 16th 2008, 8:37 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm loving CARICOM and its benefit's!

Originally Posted by eugiebabe
Oh what joy! Yesterday I was told that I couldn't get citizenship because my mum was married when she had me (go figure) however I can get Antiguan Citizenship and a CARICOM passport (in 8 weeks!!) as my dad was Antiguan but not only that because I have a degree I can get an Accreditation Certificate so I can work in Barbados without having to have a work permit!!!! Accra Beach here I come!!
Things sometimes work out in mysterious ways. Good luck
Old Oct 16th 2008, 11:37 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

I think that's very strange, re the part about being married and then having you.. but of course we are in Barbados, where if anyone really bothered to check, the number of unwed mothers is likely very high (which is strange for such a religious society)

on the other hand.. CONGRATSs.. and isn't that cool.. way to go for the Antiguan Dad..

I'm guessing citizenship is through the father.. although my children are Barbadian by birth but can hold US through me..
Old Oct 17th 2008, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

eugiebabe is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually I don't think it matters in Antigua. Mother, father or grandparent will do. I think Barbados is punishing Barbadian women who marry non-nationals. They'd rather have Barbados women stay single and have babies then get married to "outsiders" and have them! Crazy! I think a change in the constitution is due. However, my younger sister who was born after Independence and in wedlock can apply for citizenship. ?????

A friend showed me some Children's Act which says that a child born out of wedlock should have the same rights as a child born IN wedlock. I'm wondering whether I should challenge this and see if it can apply to citizenship!

What do you think?
Old Oct 18th 2008, 9:10 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eugiebabe
A friend showed me some Children's Act which says that a child born out of wedlock should have the same rights as a child born IN wedlock. I'm wondering whether I should challenge this and see if it can apply to citizenship!

What do you think?
I would not hold my breath !!! This question was posed by someone else who was born in wedlock to a non barbadian father before independence and they were also refused citizenship on these grounds. If your mother was unmarried at the time you would automatically be entightled to citizenship. How bazarre

Don't worry about it because you are still getting through as a Caricom national and there are a lot of people turned down full stop who wish to live in Barbados.