British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   I'm loving CARICOM and its benefit's! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/im-loving-caricom-its-benefits-567599/)

eugiebabe Oct 16th 2008 4:49 pm

I'm loving CARICOM and its benefit's!

Oh what joy! Yesterday I was told that I couldn't get citizenship because my mum was married when she had me (go figure) however I can get Antiguan Citizenship and a CARICOM passport (in 8 weeks!!) as my dad was Antiguan but not only that because I have a degree I can get an Accreditation Certificate so I can work in Barbados without having to have a work permit!!!! Accra Beach here I come!!
:thumbsup:

pgtips Oct 16th 2008 8:37 pm

Re: I'm loving CARICOM and its benefit's!

Originally Posted by eugiebabe (Post 6882317)
Oh what joy! Yesterday I was told that I couldn't get citizenship because my mum was married when she had me (go figure) however I can get Antiguan Citizenship and a CARICOM passport (in 8 weeks!!) as my dad was Antiguan but not only that because I have a degree I can get an Accreditation Certificate so I can work in Barbados without having to have a work permit!!!! Accra Beach here I come!!
:thumbsup:

Things sometimes work out in mysterious ways. Good luck :thumbsup:

Sunniebgi Oct 16th 2008 11:37 pm

I think that's very strange, re the part about being married and then having you.. but of course we are in Barbados, where if anyone really bothered to check, the number of unwed mothers is likely very high (which is strange for such a religious society)

on the other hand.. CONGRATSs.. and isn't that cool.. way to go for the Antiguan Dad..

I'm guessing citizenship is through the father.. although my children are Barbadian by birth but can hold US through me..

eugiebabe Oct 17th 2008 8:32 pm

Actually I don't think it matters in Antigua. Mother, father or grandparent will do. I think Barbados is punishing Barbadian women who marry non-nationals. They'd rather have Barbados women stay single and have babies then get married to "outsiders" and have them! Crazy! I think a change in the constitution is due. However, my younger sister who was born after Independence and in wedlock can apply for citizenship. ?????

A friend showed me some Children's Act which says that a child born out of wedlock should have the same rights as a child born IN wedlock. I'm wondering whether I should challenge this and see if it can apply to citizenship!

What do you think?

pgtips Oct 18th 2008 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by eugiebabe (Post 6886230)
A friend showed me some Children's Act which says that a child born out of wedlock should have the same rights as a child born IN wedlock. I'm wondering whether I should challenge this and see if it can apply to citizenship!

What do you think?

I would not hold my breath !!! This question was posed by someone else who was born in wedlock to a non barbadian father before independence and they were also refused citizenship on these grounds. If your mother was unmarried at the time you would automatically be entightled to citizenship. How bazarre :confused:

Don't worry about it because you are still getting through as a Caricom national and there are a lot of people turned down full stop who wish to live in Barbados. :cool: