Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

If you knew then what you know now, what would you have brought to Barbados?

If you knew then what you know now, what would you have brought to Barbados?

Old Oct 16th 2007, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

Elizabeth.Marley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: If you knew then what you know now, what would you have brought to Barbados?

Originally Posted by Jack Bowman
Zanne: keep running and munching that green stuff. A pleasure to correspond with you.

Sue: do I “like to come across as well educated”? Really? That’s how I “like” to “come across”? Really? You know this?

What a huge assumption for you to make, solely on the basis of how I write. Are you an idiot? Would it be proper of me to make the assumption that you are an idiot, solely on the basis of how you write?

Doubtless it would.

But I wish I had a “lifestyle”, like you. An idiot myself, I only have a "life". But I’ve noticed, in my many years on the planet, that only idiots take the word “lifestyle” seriously. The rest of are too busy living a "life" to have a “style”.

Best wishes to you.

JB
Jack,

This site provides help for the people who are either moving to Barbados or dream about moving and putting their plans into action in the near future, together with a group of people who kindly offer their help and advice.
I take it that you're English by birth, then you should know that it is the height of BAD manners to correct someone’s English in public.

A lifestyle is the way a person lives. This includes patterns of social relations, consumption, entertainment, and dress. A lifestyle typically also reflects an individual's attitudes, values or worldview.

Having a specific "lifestyle" means engaging in a characteristic bundle of behaviours that makes sense to both others and ones self in different times and places. Therefore, a lifestyle can be used to forge a sense of self-identity and to create cultural symbols for the way a person is. The behaviours and practices within lifestyles are a mixture of habits, conventional ways of doing things, and reasoned actions. So I’m sure you'll agree that we all have a certain way of living our life! Thus we have a lifestyle.

Elizabeth
Old Oct 16th 2007, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all
Default Re: If you knew then what you know now, what would you have brought to Barbados?

Please! I made a simple typo because I was tired!!!

Elizabeth, you are right!!! But I was not in anyway offended by the criticism of my poor spelling and/or grammar. (Plus if this guy can't handle a simple mistake he is going to have a heart attack over some of the grammar he will hearhere in Barbados!)

The spirit of the forum is to aid one another--Barbados is not an easy place to navigate and this is coming from me...someone who moved to NYC with just a few dollars. So every little bit of information that you can get to point you in the right direction is welcome. The only thing that I can say is that there are all types of people that move to Barbados for all kinds of reasons, and no 2 situations are alike, but if you have the slightest inclination that Barbados isn't your kind of place why bother uprooting yourself and your family?

Good night!
Old Oct 16th 2007, 11:10 pm
Banned

Jack Bowman has a spectacular aura aboutJack Bowman has a spectacular aura aboutJack Bowman has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Elizabeth.Marley
Jack,

I take it that you're English by birth, then you should know that it is the height of BAD manners to correct someone’s English in public.

A lifestyle is the way a person lives. This includes patterns of social relations, consumption, entertainment, and dress. A lifestyle typically also reflects an individual's attitudes, values or worldview.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth,

Many thanks for your reply. I trust that you and yours are well.

You take it that I am English by birth, and you use that assumption as the foundation of an argument. If, say, I was born in Sudan to a Sephardi Jewish mother from Iraq and a Catholic father from what used to be Czechoslovakia, and if I was (I’m pretty certain that would be “was” and not “were”; the subjunctive mood doesn’t apply here) brought up in Italy and spent my adolescence in Nicaragua, and then was educated in England, would your admonition about politeness still hold? If it did, why make a point about Englishness?

A lifestyle (pace you) isn’t “the way a person lives”. A lifestyle is something terribly sad. Whatever value social scientists invested in the word in the 1960s is now and for ever lost. A lifestyle is what the unread have. It’s what the advertisers want you to have (“This Residential Golf Community Fits Your Lifestyle!!!). The very concept is an inanity.

What I choose to consume, how I choose to be entertained, and how I choose to dress, outside the tiresome tenure-track treadmill of the academy, are normally called “tastes”. They have nothing to do with “lifestyle”. How my kinship relations are formed are part of what is normally called, and rightly so, a “life”.

You write well. Clarity of writing being, in general, a good index of clarity of thought, I salute you.

Best wishes,
JB

Added later, after a bit of research ...

Elizabeth, I take it back. You may or may nor write well, but the person who wrote your stuff about "lifestyle" on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lifestyle) certainly does. Would have helped if you'd cited your source.

All best,
JB

Last edited by Jack Bowman; Oct 17th 2007 at 12:59 am.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

You Jack B are, what we in the US, call a troll. Please enough is enough.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 11:40 pm
Banned

Jack Bowman has a spectacular aura aboutJack Bowman has a spectacular aura aboutJack Bowman has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by zanne
Sorry. What's a troll?
Old Oct 17th 2007, 2:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Check: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll
Old Oct 21st 2007, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

trutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud of

What a prick

Barbados is the most beautiful place in the world!!! Tadatadada

I was shaking with laugther
scared the bratty children
did I destroy the ambience
I'm sure for that hoity-toity patron

it wasn't pretty when I looked into the face
oops, into the eyes, ruptured icy chaos
what's the, what's the, who's the prick

we was hidden in the potted plants
I know and we was no obnoxious
but I could see, there in the sun room
the growing storm of disapproval

it wasn't pretty when I looked into the face
oops, into the eyes, ruptured icy chaos

I ain't supposed to laugh
can't let your children see that
I ain't supposed to wonder
what's the, who's the prick

Last edited by trutje; Oct 21st 2007 at 3:18 pm.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 4:30 pm
Banned

Zanne’s last comment on me was certainly a little discourteous, but I definitely can’t share your view that she’s a “prick”. That strikes me as an extraordinarily rude thing to say.

In fact, doesn’t this site have some moderator who can sanction people indulging in arbitrary, ad hominen attacks on other posters?

Neither can I share your view that Barbados is “the most beautiful place in the world”. Quite apart from the matter of personal taste (would an Inuit or a gaucho necessarily regard Barbados as “the most beautiful place in the world”?), such an absolute assertion would only begin to have any meaning if you had been to every other place in the world.

But as regards your rudeness to Zanne, we can always review the evidence in the record (that is, all the posts that have gone before this one), and determine who was rude, who was glib, who unnecessarily took offense, who reacted to which insults, who was gracious, and when.

Despite your dreadful rudeness to Zanne, I hope you are well.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

trutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud of

Just go and irritate some other people, maybe some in your sad life!

Last edited by trutje; Oct 22nd 2007 at 5:31 pm.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zanne
Hier ,here ,hear
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 6:13 pm
Banned

Dear Travelera LLC.

I understand, according to the “legal” link on your site, that “BritishExpats.com”, is “provided by Travelera LLC on an ‘As Is’ basis” and that “Travelera LLC makes no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied …”.

I further understand that you hereby publicly assert, on your “legal” link on the referenced site, that “if brought to our attention the administrators and moderators of the forum will attempt to remove or edit any objectionable material as quickly as possible”.

I wish to draw to your attention some objectionable material that I believe is actionable and enforceable under the law (I understand that you are operating under US legislation. If this is not the case, please inform me immediately.)

I hereby draw your attention to the comments made about me by “trutje” on this day at 1:24 pm and 1:36 pm I will not herein repeat all of the comments made by “trutje”, but I want hereby to record that (notwithstanding any other claims of objection I might have in future) I find the comment below be “objectionable material” that you will [remove] “as quickly as possible”.

“irritate some other people, maybe some in your sad life!”

I reserve all my legal rights to make further representations about “trutje” and his or her comments.

Thank your for your immediate attention to this matter.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jack Bowman
Dear Travelera LLC.

I understand, according to the “legal” link on your site, that “BritishExpats.com”, is “provided by Travelera LLC on an ‘As Is’ basis” and that “Travelera LLC makes no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied …”.

I further understand that you hereby publicly assert, on your “legal” link on the referenced site, that “if brought to our attention the administrators and moderators of the forum will attempt to remove or edit any objectionable material as quickly as possible”.

I wish to draw to your attention some objectionable material that I believe is actionable and enforceable under the law (I understand that you are operating under US legislation. If this is not the case, please inform me immediately.)

I hereby draw your attention to the comments made about me by “trutje” on this day at 1:24 pm and 1:36 pm I will not herein repeat all of the comments made by “trutje”, but I want hereby to record that (notwithstanding any other claims of objection I might have in future) I find the comment below be “objectionable material” that you will [remove] “as quickly as possible”.

“irritate some other people, maybe some in your sad life!”

I reserve all my legal rights to make further representations about “trutje” and his or her comments.

Thank your for your immediate attention to this matter.

Don't forget to mention your own insults all above,you PRICK!!!:curse:
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 6:54 pm
Banned

Dear Travelera LLC.

I reiterate my understanding of what you regard as your legal obligations. I reiterate my rights to make further representations about “trutje” and his or her comments in the forums you control, and that are internationally accessible.

I note that, in another forum you control, “trutje” had this to say: “'I’ve heard that of the Dominican Replubic [sic] but that's no surprise because it's attached to Haiti.”

I find this comment deeply troubling. There can be no doubt that the comment can give rise to a discussion about whether the person who made the comment is, latently or otherwise, a racist.

I hereby draw your attention to this matter, on the understanding that Travelera LLC, which “provides” “BritishExpats.com”, “will attempt to remove or edit any objectionable material as quickly as possible”.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 6:56 pm
Banned

I'm sorry, trutje. What would those insults have been, exactly?

Last edited by Jack Bowman; Oct 22nd 2007 at 8:15 pm.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 8:09 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by trutje
Don't forget to mention your own insults all above,you PRICK!!!:curse:
I'm sorry again, trutje. It took me a while to realise that we're not talking the same language. I’m talking English, a language that tends to eschew exclamation marks and that can make its own point, even when used by the subliterate, without help from graphics.

What I meant to say, in your language, was this:

I’m sorry!!!!! What would those insults have been, exactly?

Last edited by Jack Bowman; Oct 22nd 2007 at 8:29 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.