Getting a job in Barbados

Old May 8th 2007, 11:59 pm
Forum Regular

_Tropical_11th is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Getting a job in Barbados

Originally Posted by Darren D
Hi folks, recently joined this site, so still finding my way around. Spent several weeks in Barbados last year after getting married in St Lucia. Me and my wife fell in love with the place, especially Barbados & would love to live & work there eventually. Interesting discussion above re my circs is i am a qualified Probation Officer & i noted some of the earlier comments re police, criminals returning from the USA etc. I have noticed that Barbados has a Probation Service and i believe a Criminal Justice System similar to us in the UK. Does anyone know if jobs in Probation/Police etc would be available to someone with my experience such like and if so how do you go about getting info and such like.
Two links which might help you

The Royal Barbados Police Force (RBPF)
http://www.barbadospolice.gov.bb/

The Supreme Court of Barbados
http://www.lawcourts.gov.bb/

The website of the Supreme Court in Barbados hasn't been updated in a while.... However Barbados is a mix of British Common law with a few U.S. styled legislation put through.

Also Barbados (as of last year, or the year before last) no longer has the British Privy Council as court of last appeal jurisdiction. Barbados is now under the Caribbean Court of Justice. (CCJ) http://www.caribbeancourtofjustice.org/
Old May 9th 2007, 12:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by IkklePiranha
It sucks that those with the money - the rich bastards who can afford to come and go as they please, without working - are the ones that can afford to do so.
Because from what i've seen they put NOTHING back into the island, they don't go to the locally run bars, resturants, they might shop in the supermarkets, but they'll buy the imported Waitrose products and they hang out in their tight little rich expat cliques and add NOTHING to the island.
Yet their the ones who are there.

And someone like myself, who has everything to offer, can't come over becuase i'm not wealthy. It sickens me.
It is mostly because some persons had a tendency to move to Barbados and either live off welfare or the state funded healthcare system without working to contribute back into it. Barbados and many other islands are very serious about people moving in and immediately becoming a "tax" on the nation. Once you gain citizenship in Barbados it means you can claim state unemployment etc...

~Tropical_11th
Old May 9th 2007, 12:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Belinda1974
@Bajanboy

Hi I have one more question regarding a company in Barbados.....what can you tell me about Sunbeach Communications, is it a good company? They currently have a vacant position which could be perfect for my husband, but since this position is offered for a pretty long time now, I am little bit unsecure......maybe the comnullpany doesnt pay well or doesnt treat his employees well etc.? Would be great if you could tell me anything about this company before my husband will apply for this job..........thanks in advance!!
I had started the Wikipedia article ( http://www.wikipedia.com/ ) on Sunbeach Communications. [ www.Sunbeach.net ] That company has indeed had a rocky history.

It was an early comer to the Internet. Either around 95-96? I think. Possibly '97

It did apply for and did obtain a wireless license for Barbados before it hit financial trouble... It then merged--- with a small UK based telecom company, with that British company relocating their management team to Barbados. The British segment pretty much collapsed in the UK market, thus leaving more debt on the Barbados-based operatons. The company had also wanted to list Sunbeach on the London Stock Exchange but the company's financial situation made them halt that. Sunbeach almost got themselves de-listed from the Barbados Stock Exchange too. Eventually Sunbeach decided to halt trading of their shares on the BSE as they worked with creditors. Sunbeach fell more and more behind as 1) AT&T Wireless, 2) Digicel, and 3) Cable & Wireless started locking the lionshare of Barbadians into 2 year wireless contracts and it looked bleak if Sunbeach could get customers anymore with most people being under contact, so Sunbeach announced they would break ranks from the others and would launch a CDMA-based cell phone service instead of the GSM standard which the others used.

Eventually AT&T and Cingular merged in the USA and Cingular wanted to pull out from the Caribbean. Cingular sold out their Caribbean customers to Digcel leaving just C&W, Digicel, and Sunbeach as wireless license holders for Barbados. Then Sunbeach's license was about to lapse with the Barbados government.

A quick thinking private investors group from Trinidad and Tobago (LaqTel) namely -- a group affiliated with the Trinidad and Tobago PNM party--- The People's National Movement over the course of a year snapped up most of the shares of Sunbeach and tried to get creditors in Barbados squared away, LaqTel paid the fee to the Barbados government to keep the un-used license and announced they would have Sunbeach's Wirelesss business up and running "in a year" to "18 months". LaqTel announced that a Canadian Company SaskTel along with Nortel would be their partner in getting this done. This got rocky, the large telephone company in Canada SaskTel wanted to take over the LaqTel company out-right so LaqTel broke off the agreement and backed out. Sunbeach at this point was still without anywireless network and now LaqTEL was still without a Network in Trinidad and Tobago too.... Plus it was back to Square One now needing to seek its own investors for Barbados, Trinidad & Tobago... In order to save their arm, LaqTel announced they found an invetment group from the "Middle East" which turned out to be Palestine Telephone or something like that.(As the main investors)

But things again got hostile--- PalTel wanted to take-over the whole Sunbeach and LaqTel company too seeing the large business opportunity. LaqTel trying to make the best of the tough situation, and trying to save its own arm- from the wolves quickly unloaded Sunbeach to VTEL of Palestine and LaqTEL announced they signed an agreement shortly after with SPRINT in the USA to build a CDMA Wireless network in Trinidad and Tobago. I've yet to hear anything else about LaqTEL launching in Trinidad as of yet....

http://www.laqtel.info/

http://www.sunbeahc.net/

Last edited by _Tropical_11th; May 9th 2007 at 1:24 am. Reason: null
Old May 9th 2007, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

Belinda1974 is on a distinguished road

Hi Bajanboy,

thank you very much for this information, you seem to be very well informed
So it is OK to apply for a job there I think.....Sure, nobody knows which plans the new owners will have in the future, but that a company based in Dubai bought Sunbeach, is a good sign that it will have more success in the future.
I looked at the career page of Sunbeach often within the last weeks, and what was strange to me was, that applications for this vacant position, was now extended from May 4th til the 18th. I wonder if this could happen because they didn´t find any suitable applicant for this job. I saw the same advert weeks ago with another "deadline", so they extended it several times now....isn´t this a good sign for having a chance as foreigner to get the job Well, I will push my husband to send his application today, and I really hope that he will get this job.....this would be great! Besides - Sunbeach gives complementary internet access to his employees ))))))

Bajanboy, do you know which salary he could expect as Engineering Support Technician / Wireless ? Just a rough estimate would be great. Thanks a lot, I hope you will join us at our party in St. Andrews on July 21st!!!!!!!
Old May 9th 2007, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by _Tropical_11th
I had started the Wikipedia article ( http://www.wikipedia.com/ ) on Sunbeach Communications. [ www.Sunbeach.net ] That company has indeed had a rocky history.....
Hi Tropical - thanks VERY much for this information too, it is very interesting to know the development on this company. I just told my husband to try it, he will apply for the job today, so - let´s see what will happen. Like I wrote in the other posting before, to me its strange that they extended the deadline for the applications, so I hope they didn´t find anyone on the island. I know that my husband is a very good technician, he first worked for the German Airforce for 12 years, there he learned to work with RF equipment, so this is his base. Now he is working in a very big Austrian company for almost 3 years, where he is planning and building all the wireless equipment for police stations, red cross primary control units and also airport control units. His knowledge is very extensive, so I am pretty sure that he would be good in this job. Also - he is German (*smile*), and like you know, they are very detail-oriented and perfectionists

Ok - enough by now, I will let you know what happened after sending the application
Old May 9th 2007, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

Dominican is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Bajanboy
Dominican:

If you have a Dominican passport and a university degree, you do not need a work permit for Barbados. As far I know, under the Caricom Single Market and Economy (CSME) rules, skilled Caricom nationals can work in other Caricom countries. You should ask for more advice at the Dominican and Barbadian High Commissions in the UK. All you will need to do is register at the immigration department here in Barbados. I do not think you even need to have a job offer.
Really!? sound like a good news for all of us!! I'll look into it and ask my aunt as well just to be sure.... thanks a lot for this info! Now we're one step closer to disolve the problem. which is property and my little girls's school. Thanks again
Old May 9th 2007, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

...would like to be a carib tooooooooooooooooo
Old May 9th 2007, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

Dominican is on a distinguished road

Hi Dominican,

the last sentence could easily be misunderstood by people who are not speaking English as their mother-tongue like me *haha* The salary range was meant monthly, and not net. So you can subtract 30-35% to know the net amount....not bad either!
So we both are in the same "boat" Looking for a creative job on this beautiful island I already began with the "application step", how about you? How far are your plans? Would be great to help each other!
Hey Belinda
I've only just started.. But i'll let you know if i hear any more good news or something like that.. But i've just found out that i may be able to just move there but i will find out more about this first.. can't wait.. my wife and children wanted to move now because they want to have fruit trees and swimming pool in the garden! But I rather to get my work place and school place first before we move over to Barbados...
let me know how it goes.. And good luck
Old May 9th 2007, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

You are lucky, I am crossing the fingers for you that it will work out for you!

I have to go on with my applications, lets see what happens, I am optimistic!
Old May 9th 2007, 6:01 pm
Just Joined

balibarnett is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bajanboy
As far as the cost of things, let's run through your list.

Three bedroom house (with no AC, a gas stove and a Solar Water Heater) I would say absolute mimimum would be Bds$100. Bds$200 would be more likely. Each AC would use approx Bds$75 per month.

Water: Bds$50 minimum

Phone: Bds$40 minimum

Internet: DSL 512Kbps $99 per month, 256Kbps $69 per month

Insurance: 3rd Party (does not cover damage to your car) $1000. Fully comprehensive $2500 for a used car. You may pay higher because you do not have any history of driving in Barbados.

You could get a cheap used car for $5000 but then it may or may not be junk. $10000 may get you something more reliable. Reconditioned small cars (three years old imported from Japan - $28000). New Cars from $40000.

As for schools, you should call the Ministry of Education (246) 430-2700 and ask for advice. It will not be a problem not having taken the 11plus, certainly not for private schools. For public schools, you should try to aim for Harrison College, Queens College, St. Michaels or Deighton Griffith in that order. Ask the ministry for advice.

Keep the questions coming

John
Hiya

I have just joined BritishExpats.com. I've been visiting Barbados for the last 4 years and have also been bitten by the Bajan Bug!!! I am currently looking at the possiblity of moving to Barbados and also buying property ther. I have a HND in Business & Tourism Management and have been working as a Trust & Company administrator for the last 6 years, having completed my Trust & Estate Practitioner exams 3 years ago.

I am currently selling my property in Guernsey, Channel Isalnds (which is a very expensive place to live compared to Barbados!) which should give me quite a nice deposit to put down in Barbados. I will be staying in Barbados for 10 weeks from end of October this year. Any information on work, accommodation, etc. will be much appreciated.

Thanks very much

Ali
Old May 9th 2007, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Tropical - thanks VERY much for this information too, it is very interesting to know the development on this company. I just told my husband to try it, he will apply for the job today, so - let´s see what will happen. Like I wrote in the other posting before, to me its strange that they extended the deadline for the applications, so I hope they didn´t find anyone on the island. I know that my husband is a very good technician, he first worked for the German Airforce for 12 years, there he learned to work with RF equipment, so this is his base. Now he is working in a very big Austrian company for almost 3 years, where he is planning and building all the wireless equipment for police stations, red cross primary control units and also airport control units. His knowledge is very extensive, so I am pretty sure that he would be good in this job. Also - he is German (*smile*), and like you know, they are very detail-oriented and perfectionists

Ok - enough by now, I will let you know what happened after sending the application

If he's a very technical type of person may I also suggest a few other companies in Barbados that are really about to take off???

---
One that comes to mind is TeleBarbados ( http://www.telebarbados.com/ ). Brand new company they got a license from the Government about 2 years ago to lay another fiber optics cable from the US Virgin Islands to Barbados. So far they are the fastest one into the country thus far. Cable & Wireless has a fibe roptics line to Barbados but theirs is over a decade or so old... TeleBarbados is I believe a joint venture of Barbados Light and Power Company and Leucadia National Corporation in the USA. TeleBarbados also owns another upstart Internet company in Barbados called FreeMotion. http://www.freemotion.bb/

--

A few months ago a Brit. announced he would be launching one of the *fastest* wireless networks anywhere in the world in Barbados. He said the name of the company would be "Fidelity Wireless" Anyway, he just sort of whipped into town and did an interview with the local newspaper. According to the Telecommunications unit ( http://www.telecoms.gov.bb/ ) of the Barbados government they are reviewing his application...
---
Article: New multimedia wireless broadband Internet service for the Caribbean
Monday, January 29, 2007
http://www.caribbeannetnews.com/cgi-...056/005603.htm

[SNIP]BRIDGETOWN, Barbados: Fidelity Wireless has announced plans to offer Internet, phone and IPTV/Video on Demand services (so called triple play) over a new state of the art wireless broadband network to the residential and business community in Barbados. [/SNIP]
---

I haven't heard much more about it but it might be something to keep an eye on for potential future jobs.

Another pretty good company Illuminat ( http://www.illuminatnm.com/ ). They do a lot of technology work for the banks in the Caribbean. They do some teachnology partnerships with some of the schools in the region too. They're a part of the Neal and Massy Conglomerate (out of Trinidad and Tobago). But Illuminat does have an office in Barbados.

One of the projects they do for example is monitor the general elections results in Barbados... As seen here.
http://www.caribbeanedu.com/elections/

Anyway I wish you and your husband much success and all the best in your relocating attempts to Barbados.

P.S. You must not forget to check the job listings at the Barbados Campus of the University of the West Indies as well. They seem to always have positions listed. http://www.cavehill.uwi.edu/

Last edited by _Tropical_11th; May 9th 2007 at 7:35 pm.
Old May 9th 2007, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Tropical,

WOW, thank you VERY much for this posting! We will check this info and see if they have any vacant positions.
My husband just said "I am nothing but technical"
Regarding the link to the university: we both are not teachers, so I am not sure if this could help us?

Once again, thank you for this helpful information!
Old May 10th 2007, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jane888uk
Chipping in again.....

I work in Security - G4S @ Bournemouth Airport here in the UK.
G4S are also based @ Grantley Adams Airport.

I wondered if there was a possibility of a transfer to
Grantley Adams?

But l suppose like the thread a couple ago said, only if
you are qualified in an area a local Bajan isnt!

Could l still apply for a work permit in that field and wait for
a post?

Jane
If you're going to be in Barbados next month there *is* something with G4S you might want to look into. G4S as you said is in Barbados. (It was Securicor before the merger.) But anyway they just---- listed a new position yesturday on the Labour Industry's main website seeking applicants.

Post for the G4S position: http://www.labour.gov.bb/blmis2/WEBD...ts.asp?Id=1412

They claim they want "males". But if you work for G4S already in the UK my thought is you're probably just-- as strong as anybody else when it comes to luggage handling. Do you have your resume all up to date???

For that matter all of the current jobs are by G4S actually.
http://www.labour.gov.bb/blmis2/WEBD...SearchForm.asp
~Tropical_11th

Last edited by _Tropical_11th; May 10th 2007 at 6:00 am.
Old May 10th 2007, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

9527faye is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Could anybody recommend any websites for jobs in the construction industry ideally Surveying position. Does barbados have a general website for all types of jobs?

thanks

faye
Old May 10th 2007, 3:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

trutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by _Tropical_11th
If he's a very technical type of person may I also suggest a few other companies in Barbados that are really about to take off???

---
One that comes to mind is TeleBarbados ( http://www.telebarbados.com/ ). Brand new company they got a license from the Government about 2 years ago to lay another fiber optics cable from the US Virgin Islands to Barbados. So far they are the fastest one into the country thus far. Cable & Wireless has a fibe roptics line to Barbados but theirs is over a decade or so old... TeleBarbados is I believe a joint venture of Barbados Light and Power Company and Leucadia National Corporation in the USA. TeleBarbados also owns another upstart Internet company in Barbados called FreeMotion. http://www.freemotion.bb/

--

A few months ago a Brit. announced he would be launching one of the *fastest* wireless networks anywhere in the world in Barbados. He said the name of the company would be "Fidelity Wireless" Anyway, he just sort of whipped into town and did an interview with the local newspaper. According to the Telecommunications unit ( http://www.telecoms.gov.bb/ ) of the Barbados government they are reviewing his application...
---
Article: New multimedia wireless broadband Internet service for the Caribbean
Monday, January 29, 2007
http://www.caribbeannetnews.com/cgi-...056/005603.htm

[SNIP]BRIDGETOWN, Barbados: Fidelity Wireless has announced plans to offer Internet, phone and IPTV/Video on Demand services (so called triple play) over a new state of the art wireless broadband network to the residential and business community in Barbados. [/SNIP]
---

I haven't heard much more about it but it might be something to keep an eye on for potential future jobs.

Another pretty good company Illuminat ( http://www.illuminatnm.com/ ). They do a lot of technology work for the banks in the Caribbean. They do some teachnology partnerships with some of the schools in the region too. They're a part of the Neal and Massy Conglomerate (out of Trinidad and Tobago). But Illuminat does have an office in Barbados.

One of the projects they do for example is monitor the general elections results in Barbados... As seen here.
http://www.caribbeanedu.com/elections/

Anyway I wish you and your husband much success and all the best in your relocating attempts to Barbados.

P.S. You must not forget to check the job listings at the Barbados Campus of the University of the West Indies as well. They seem to always have positions listed. http://www.cavehill.uwi.edu/
Thank you very much for the link to telebarbados!! I just looked at the career opportunities and unfortuanatly all the joboffers have closed after 15th of januari..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.