flu

Old Aug 27th 2009, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

yellowsunset is a glorious beacon of lightyellowsunset is a glorious beacon of lightyellowsunset is a glorious beacon of lightyellowsunset is a glorious beacon of lightyellowsunset is a glorious beacon of lightyellowsunset is a glorious beacon of lightyellowsunset is a glorious beacon of lightyellowsunset is a glorious beacon of lightyellowsunset is a glorious beacon of lightyellowsunset is a glorious beacon of lightyellowsunset is a glorious beacon of light
Default flu

Hi - anyone know if there is a nasty flu bug spreading round at the moment? Husband was off last week with flu (he is never sick normally) and I caught it by Friday and have been really rough with it since, though am feeling a bit more lively today hence all my (annoying possibly ) posts...
Old Aug 27th 2009, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

hotchick21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: flu

Hi Yellow,

We have "Swine Flu" Yes I said correctly "Swine Flu" here in the UK, America, Mexico & almost all over Europe. You won't wake up with a pig snout or anything like that, but this issue has become rather SERIOUS over here.... We've had 6 in London die from it already. Basically once caught it can pull your system overboard within 12/24 hours- sounds like it already caught up with you...
I would seriously check out the details on the search engine.

Doctor's over here are prescribing "Tamiflu" tablets, Ops sorry correction Health centres are, doctor's don't want you in their practice for fear of spreading. They ( our lovely government) say they have enough to treat everyone within the UK- oh really, I think not!

It has sort of calmed down a little since the school holidays, as children are the biggest carriers, but they are expecting this to come back with a vengeance more so in the autumn- lovely great

I did read an article in the newspapers a couple of weeks ago, some airlines are refusing to let people board planes in case they have this flu, or showing flu like symptoms- but I guess their really thinking of the money to refund back & loss profits more than anything else...hmm

Barbados & the majority of the Caribbean Islands taking in tourist from all over need to be aware, people who have this flu are still going about their daily duties & travelling ( thoughs who aren't as poorly as you & hubby may have been ) sneezing & coughing etc etc where it can & will spread. Take care x

Last edited by hotchick21; Aug 27th 2009 at 3:26 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

Hotchick! That's a bit extreme! Yes there is a bit of a flu/cold sickness going around here in Barbados--my son and I both had it last week and we are slowly improving. Go a dump yourself in the sea, stay hydrated, and relax.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

Zanne,

I don't wish to startle anyone, but think about it Barbados etc does have a fair few tourist from UK, Europe & America....
Old Aug 27th 2009, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

But yes the sea & staying hydrated (with juice, not Banks beer) with rest does help...

But this is not the cure for "Swine Flu"
x
Old Aug 27th 2009, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road

I think there have only been 1 or 2 cases of H1N1 (proper name for swine flu) here. Probably it's just a regular bug.

If it's affecting your stomach, it's not the flu. Just a stomach virus. "Stomach flu" is actually not a flu at all. Flu is respiratory.

Hope you are feeling better soon!
Old Aug 27th 2009, 6:59 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Someone mentioned the other day that there have been 9 reported cases of swine flu in Barbados - according to online stats

Hotchick Barbados are fully prepared for any possible outbreak and also have the Tamiflu
Old Sep 27th 2009, 1:48 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

sorry to bring this thread back.. but remembered someone asking about Tamiflu and being available in Barbados.

It's been announced that it is available now (does that mean it wasn't before??).. but had a friend who said it can only be given at one of the polyclinics.. meaning have to go to your private doctor, they have to order it through the ministry of health, who sends a form for the doc to fill out then takes it back and you have to then go to the Polyclinic of their choice to get the medication.. That's if you want it free, which I'm guessing is only for Barbados Citizens and residents?!!?!

I was told by a pharmacist this afternoon, that it is now available (from this past Wednesday) through private dispensaries.. they have to order it, i'm guessing similar type of procedure.. and the cost.. sitting down.. is BBD$180.00 for one course of this medication..

She highly recommended Rest, Relax, treat the symptons (fever meds, cough meds etc).. and let it run it's course. Biggest concerns, eldery and the very young..

by the way.. the dispensing chemist.. (pharmacist is what I call them).. that I spoke to.. is British.. (not Bajan).. just to clarify who gave me this info.