State schools

Old Sep 26th 2009, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

CarlHnz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default State schools

Does anyone here have any experience of the state primary schools in Barbados?

We're moving out at the end of Feb. and are unsure whether to go private or state.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 6:41 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: State schools

If you are not a Barbadian, you have to apply to one of these schools, just like you would if you are applying to a private school.. having said that,, Bajans have to as well.

like in most countries, some are better than others, so it really depends on the are you plan to move into, and the school you are looking to send your child to.

All of the Primary Education is geared towards the 11plus exam, with Maths and English being the primary subjects. They do some science, social studies, Games etc.. (this statement excludes The Codrington School, as it follows the IB Program and they do not participate in the 11plus exam)

I've known expats who have sent their children to a Government School.. but both were relatively young.. maybe 5 and 7 at the time, but can't remember there experience as it's been a few years.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi
If you are not a Barbadian, you have to apply to one of these schools, just like you would if you are applying to a private school.. having said that,, Bajans have to as well.

like in most countries, some are better than others, so it really depends on the are you plan to move into, and the school you are looking to send your child to.

All of the Primary Education is geared towards the 11plus exam, with Maths and English being the primary subjects. They do some science, social studies, Games etc.. (this statement excludes The Codrington School, as it follows the IB Program and they do not participate in the 11plus exam)

I've known expats who have sent their children to a Government School.. but both were relatively young.. maybe 5 and 7 at the time, but can't remember there experience as it's been a few years.
It's an odd situation to be in, because in the UK, private would not be an option for us. But most expats we've spoken too in Barbados have assumed we're going private so that's why we're considering it.

We're coming out in a few weeks to see some of the schools, both state and private to see for our selves. Any tips are gladly accepted.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by CarlHnz
It's an odd situation to be in, because in the UK, private would not be an option for us. But most expats we've spoken too in Barbados have assumed we're going private so that's why we're considering it.

We're coming out in a few weeks to see some of the schools, both state and private to see for our selves. Any tips are gladly accepted.
I think it is well worth taking into account where you will be living then looking at the schools closest first...

I would go with your own gut feelings and not be swayed too much by others, I find that some of the expats here are overly protective of the particular school their children go to rather than open minded about all options. My oldest goes to a private school, we did look at local ones too but in the end the private one had smaller classes and gained better results which swayed it for me.

I chose a Barbadian private school though over one that is mainly expat as we are here to stay and I think it is important that not only does my daughter make friends that will be here longer than 3 or 4 years but also that she mixes with other Bajan children and learns how this country and its people are - good and bad...
Old Sep 27th 2009, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

bamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nice

Hi Carl,
I have 2 daughters who both went to government schools, right from the start, infants all through 11plus.
As far as education is concerned the GS have the same program, and how well your child performs can depend on many factors, and I believe the parents role of stimulation and motivation is a very important one. Fact is that on PS most children come from a better environment as far as that is concerned, parents pay good money because they believe in good education, on GS there are still a lot of children who go to school because they have to and not because they see the need for good education.
However a large number of pupils from GS make it to university, so that speaks for itself
On GS you will only find local dark children(maybe the odd exception), this will make a big difference in the interactions of your child and yourself with other children and parents depending on your own complexion. If you are white , you will find it hard to fit in, when you are dark it will be different .
Because PS have a mix of all kinds, no one is the odd one out , social contacts through school when you have small children will make it so much easier to adjust in a new country.
You can PM me if you want more info.
Old Sep 27th 2009, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bamiskados
Hi Carl,
I have 2 daughters who both went to government schools, right from the start, infants all through 11plus.
As far as education is concerned the GS have the same program, and how well your child performs can depend on many factors, and I believe the parents role of stimulation and motivation is a very important one. Fact is that on PS most children come from a better environment as far as that is concerned, parents pay good money because they believe in good education, on GS there are still a lot of children who go to school because they have to and not because they see the need for good education.
However a large number of pupils from GS make it to university, so that speaks for itself
On GS you will only find local dark children(maybe the odd exception), this will make a big difference in the interactions of your child and yourself with other children and parents depending on your own complexion. If you are white , you will find it hard to fit in, when you are dark it will be different .
Because PS have a mix of all kinds, no one is the odd one out , social contacts through school when you have small children will make it so much easier to adjust in a new country.
You can PM me if you want more info.
I think fitting in is vital, for the children and us as moving so far will be difficult enough anyway. Being the only white children in the class might cause issues for them, as being the odd one out is never easy, for whatever reason. I've spoken to a few of the government schools and they were very happy to take non-nationals and were extremely helpful.

But it's also really important that our kids are immersed in the Bajan culture as much as possible, so a school with nearly all expat children is a bad idea.

I will visit a few GS and PS schools when I'm out in a few weeks to get a better idea.

There are quite a lot of GS schools, can anyone recommend any good ones in St Michael.
Old Sep 27th 2009, 3:48 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

I think fitting in is vital, for the children and us as moving so far will be difficult enough anyway. Being the only white children in the class might cause issues for them, as being the odd one out is never easy, for whatever reason. I've spoken to a few of the government schools and they were very happy to take non-nationals and were extremely helpful.

But it's also really important that our kids are immersed in the Bajan culture as much as possible, so a school with nearly all expat children is a bad idea.

I will visit a few GS and PS schools when I'm out in a few weeks to get a better idea.

There are quite a lot of GS schools, can anyone recommend any good ones in St Michael.
Two of what would be considered good, or high performing, Govt on the island are Luther Thorne Primary and Charles F. Broome, however, I've heard stories (just like many others) that if you child is not performing in the top of his/her class, they kind of get left by the way side.

As for Barbadian Private Schools, St. Gabriel's, , St. Angela's,St. Winifreds and Wills Primary would be my choices in that order.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

karibspices is an unknown quantity at this point

And yet, a majority of the people who have made Barbados the place so attractive to expats came from gov't schools.... ah, what a sight.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by karibspices
And yet, a majority of the people who have made Barbados the place so attractive to expats came from gov't schools.... ah, what a sight.
That's a good point. I went to a pretty poor state school in the UK and until the move to Barbados, I've never even considered private education for my children. Something about it doesn't really feel right about it for me, but I think this is something I need to get over.
I always felt that I did pretty well despite my education, not because of it.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 10:15 pm

I don't dispute this.. but funny enough, you will also find those same people are sending their children to private schools. Just ask them..
Old Sep 30th 2009, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

bamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nice

Don't think there was much choice at that time.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

That's a good point. I went to a pretty poor state school in the UK and until the move to Barbados, I've never even considered private education for my children. Something about it doesn't really feel right about it for me, but I think this is something I need to get over.
I always felt that I did pretty well despite my education, not because of it.
I had pretty much the same opinion when I came to Barbados, furthermore, the whole idea for private schooling was new to me( doesn't exist in the Netherlands).
I did not want my children to feel stuck up and superior because of the school they went to, wanted them to grow up among the bajans and they did. they grew up among local kids, had local friends, and adapted their ideas and visions about white people and foreigners, often confusing to them, as their mother is one.
I went to PTA's but soon stopped, because was not accepted, and it was not the school staff, but the parent, with the teachers I had good contact.
There is still a pretty large gap between black and white and in my opinion private schools are one of the way to bring people together in Barbados.

And because of my views, if I could do it over I would probably send them to private school.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

karibspices is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bamiskados
Don't think there was much choice at that time.
Has time suddenly stopped??

I don't have to ask anyone, I know them.